Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Covid test for travel - age on departure or return?

7 replies

EekThreek · 18/05/2022 21:57

We're going on holiday next week to France. DD will turn 12 while we're away.

Travel rules for France say that under 12s don't need to test before entry. I've scoured the French consulate website but I cannot find whether that's under 12 on the day she enters, or on the day we leave.

Does anyone know? Or know where else I could look to find out?

OP posts:
Please
or

IntergalacticP · 18/05/2022 21:59

I don't know but I would assume it was age on entry- it's for France's benefit, not the UK's iyswim?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 18/05/2022 22:02

It'll be the age she is before travel to France. UK doesn't ask for a test for the return journey

Please
or

EekThreek · 18/05/2022 22:08

That's what I'm hoping! We travel the day before her birthday so I'm worried they'll pull us up because it's only a matter of hours.

It's only that's someone's just mentioned it because things like plane seats and hotel rooms are always age on return date - we're driving and camping so I hadn't even considered it!

Holidays are more stress than they're worth since covid. Although this is our first one, so it's all coming as a bit of a shock.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wakemeup17 · 18/05/2022 22:21

Is it not better to test her too just in case rather than risk problems? Can you do the test on arrival if they decide she needs one?

Please
or

EekThreek · 19/05/2022 13:58

The only place we can get a test is over an hour away, and they're only open in work hours. I won't get permission to take her out of school for it (will already be taking the kids out of school for a couple of days for this) and I don't have enough annual leave to take an afternoon off for it either.

I will take her if it's the law, but if I can avoid it I will - hence the question.

OP posts:
Please
or

Nootkah · 19/05/2022 20:40

@EekThreek You dont have to take her to a clinic though, you can do it at home. For the sake of £12 vs potential holiday disaster, I'd just do the test.

Please
or

EekThreek · 26/05/2022 21:21

We've arrived, and it didn't even get mentioned.

We did order a test in the end, but it didn't arrive in time for us to leave. Just as well really, but does mean we've got an expensive spare hanging around the house for future use!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?