Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Stopovers Calais to Dordogne

13 replies

Shinyandnew2022 · 17/05/2022 22:36

Has anyone got any prior experience of making this trip and finding a really lovely stop off spot en route both on the way there
And on return.
I was thinking either somewhere with a
Pool and food on site or somewhere central in a town wher we can have a wander and find a decent restaurant?
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 18/05/2022 07:21

Futuroscope and Puy du Fou would be my top recommendations. There are a number of hotels within 10 mins walk of Futuroscope, many of which have pools e.g. Ibis and Hotel Plaza. There are also several hotels at Puy du Fou but not sure about pools.
If neither of those are your kind of thing, we also like Saumur on the banks of the Loire.

Please
or

Sirzy · 18/05/2022 07:32

I agree wihh the futoroscope suggestion, Poitiers is a lovely city too.

lac san pardoux a bit further south is lovely too and I know they have accommodation but know nothing about it. Limoges is lovely too

Please
or

zafferana · 18/05/2022 08:59

I would try to narrow down the area you want to stay, based on your route and the distance you think is realistic to drive south from Calais OP. Some of these suggestions are very far down France. Poitiers is a nice city, but you're almost in the Dordogne once you get there. Surely you'd rather stop somewhere north of here, more like Orléans? Who will you be travelling with and when? If it's two adults in June, it will be easier to find accommodation than if it's with two DC in August.

Please
or

ModerationInEverything · 18/05/2022 09:24

We stopped here la lune lake a couple of years ago after a recommendation on here. I'm not usually a b and b kind of person but gave it a try. It was fab. Reasonable, very clean, friendly, loads of great food. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's near Le Man's.

Please
or

Shinyandnew2022 · 18/05/2022 10:09

Thanks all for these replies this will help us get started !
@zafferana you are right I need to get DH to look at some of these and take a view on how far we want to do in a day. We are going in August with two DC - on one of the busiest weekends of the year so keen to not be over ambitious and if we aren't too late on accommodation to have a really nice stop off.
I do recall Le Mans and Poitier as places we had heard others mention .

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 18/05/2022 10:28

Just on a general note, I find Hotel Mercure and Novotel are decent chains. The former often have pools and both are child-friendly. We've used them many times and they're all over France, both near motorways and in town/city centres.

Please
or

NCTDN · 22/05/2022 09:01

We've stayed near Le Mans on that route.

Please
or

newtb · 22/05/2022 09:11

The best route is Rouen, Évreux, Dreux, Chartres and then down the A20 which is free from Vierzon. Be prepared for service areas to be full. Novotel are good but not cheap - dearer than Ibis, B&B etc.
I'd think about booking now to be honest, nothing worse than getting increasingly frazzled, hot, tired and hungry searching for a hôtel after 6pm.

Please
or

Shinyandnew2022 · 22/05/2022 22:30

Thank you @newtb
My DH has now clicked into route planning mode thanks to your information so we are making progress .
I want to book something in the next couple of weeks we definitely aren't leaving it to chance !

OP posts:
Please
or

AlisonDonut · 22/05/2022 22:38

Also it depends on now much travelling time you have after the ferry/eurotunnel.

We've stayed near Calais, Le Mans, Bourges, Confolens in the past, usually picked for where we will be at tea timev- so tired/late we just ate and crashed. Also, if you are travelling on Black Saturday, wise to not do too much as the further South you get the slower you go.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 23/05/2022 10:59

We've driven from Brussels to Dordogne a couple of times and stayed at the Novotel Rouen Sud or the Mercure in Orleans. Both have pools. We always avoid Paris.

Please
or

newtb · 25/05/2022 18:58

No probs Shiny, I live in the Corrèze about 20 mins from the Dordogne, which is one of the biggest départements. Went via Paris once, it was a much longer route, expensive tolls and thé traffic was terrifying - been driving in France for 40 years.

Please
or

HannibalHeyes · 25/05/2022 22:05

We stayed in Amboise in the Loire. Not far off the route, and a beautiful town with chateau and well worth a day of anybody's time.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?