Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Austria ( and Germany) - proving mask exemption ( child)

5 replies

littlestpogo · 17/05/2022 20:10

Hi everyone

I’ve been trying to work this out but can’t seem to - I’d be very grateful if anyone can point me to info.

I am travelling to Austria with my 2 DC - the eldest has ADHD/anxiety/sensory issues. He is 10. I can get a letter from his paediatrician stating he cannot wear a mask. I can see in Germany there is an exemption - is there anything similar in Austria? Also can anyone advise on what level of ‘proof’ is needed?

many thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

QuentininQuarantino · 19/05/2022 10:55

they are only mandatory on public transport, in austria, can you use taxis to avoid this? or are you worried about the flight? Not all countries had mask exemptions.

For public transport in Austria, it says that children under the age of 6 are exempt, those from 6 to 13 can wear a regular mask while FFP2 masks are mandatory from the age of 14. Would he wear a shield, or funky mask with his favourite character?

Please
or

littlestpogo · 20/05/2022 15:05

Thanks @QuentininQuarantino .

He can’t wear anything on his face and unfortunately we can’t avoid public transport ( due to flight cancellation and now having to go to an airport further away!). Was also worried about the flight.

I have managed to get advice from the Austrian foreign office via the embassy! Apparently there is an exemption but need a letter from an Austrian doctor. I spoke to the travel person/hotel however and their view is a formal letter from U.K. paediatrician should be fine. Airline also confirmed they are fine with this. I think therefore he will still probably come ( he is very anxious so would absolutely hate to be challenged etc and would rather miss the holiday than risk that).

OP posts:
Please
or

littlestpogo · 20/05/2022 15:06

Should add the advice I have had is also mandatory in taxis and certain shops in Austria too unfortunately

OP posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 20/05/2022 19:00

There wasn't any exemption allowed in any of the shops when we had mask requirement there in Germany. Now that has been lifted a lot of shops have a sign saying please wear a mask voluntarily, or we recommend for the safety and comfort of customers and staff that you wear a mask, but they aren't allowed to say no mask no entry any more.

On public transport IME most people are absolutely fed up of it now and compliance is falling, so he probably wouldn't be the only one not wearing one. Would he wear it just over his mouth? That seems to be a compromise people are ok with for children.

Please
or

littlestpogo · 21/05/2022 14:48

There is definitely an exemption for medical reasons in Germany now - German foreign office confirmed to me and indicated they would accept U.K. paediatrician letter.

He is unable to wear anything unfortunately. It is genuinely a medical issue not just ‘don’t like/finds difficult’

Thanks for the heads up on public transport! Myself and other son will be wearing one so hopefully that may help!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?