Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday and pram help

6 replies

New2TheMNet · 15/05/2022 19:07

Hello,
My husband and I are going to Crete in July and our baby will be 4months old.

We have an old bulky (hand-me-down) pram which I don't think will be worth taking.
Can anyone recommend a pram for travelling and general use? Low cost if possible.

Also, any advice or tips on going on holiday with a baby?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Cx

OP posts:
Please
or

easyday · 15/05/2022 19:57

Get a folding lightweight one - I had a Maclaren. Also get a Baby Bjorn on similar. Be warned that not all airports will have the pushchair where you disembark - in Barcelona it's a very long walk to the luggage claim where the pushchairs are left.
Prebook your car seat if renting a car but be warned they are pretty crap.
I also brought a bouncy chair (that folded flat) as my daughter loved hers and it really helped keep her calm.
Lastly, despite many countries being 'kid friendly' that doesn't mean they have changing facilities or are pushchair friendly. Be sure to have a good changing bag with you.

Please
or

New2TheMNet · 18/05/2022 03:54

easyday · 15/05/2022 19:57

Get a folding lightweight one - I had a Maclaren. Also get a Baby Bjorn on similar. Be warned that not all airports will have the pushchair where you disembark - in Barcelona it's a very long walk to the luggage claim where the pushchairs are left.
Prebook your car seat if renting a car but be warned they are pretty crap.
I also brought a bouncy chair (that folded flat) as my daughter loved hers and it really helped keep her calm.
Lastly, despite many countries being 'kid friendly' that doesn't mean they have changing facilities or are pushchair friendly. Be sure to have a good changing bag with you.

Thank hon for sharing your advice. Really helpful Wink

OP posts:
Please
or

Ponderingwindow · 18/05/2022 04:37

Don’t rent a car seat. You need to bring your own. You should never trust a car seat that you do not know it’s entire history.

not Crete specifically, but at some destinations we have rented prams and had them waiting at the hotel for our arrival. We never flew with a 4 month old though so didn’t find a pram necessary in the actual airport.

Please
or

nomeslice · 18/05/2022 05:03

I'm currently on holiday with a 3 month old and a 3 year old in a hot country. We have a Silver Cross Pop - it lies flat so baby is very happy riding in it and has a very large shaded canopy to keep the sun off. The fabric is a bit scratchy for a baby so I line it with a soft muslin. I've brought a sling and when DD3 is tired baby goes in the sling and her older sister sits in the pushchair so it is easily interchangeable between the two of them without any adjustment. We checked it in on the plane but kept it with us until the gate. We also brought our own car seats for both of them. There is a Facebook group called Travelling with Babies and Toddlers which is good for advice.

Please
or

New2TheMNet · 19/05/2022 17:29

Thanks for the tips and advice x

OP posts:
Please
or

IceandIndigo · 19/05/2022 20:56

We bought the Joie Pact pushchair for travel. It’s great, super light and easy to fold, and more affordable than many lightweight ones. Depending on the airline you may be able to take it as carry on, as it folds up very compact. The airport in Crete is not that big so you shouldn’t have a long walk to baggage claim if you do have to check the pushchair.

My other advice is to consider getting a small inflatable paddling pool that will fit inside a shower, so that you can bath the baby. In Greece hardly any hotels have baths.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?