Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long weekend in November- Lisbon, Porto, Italy ?

7 replies

rookiemere · 15/05/2022 09:15

Looking for some help please.
I've got too much annual leave for this year and need to use it up. For various reasons mid-late November is the best time to do that. DH has less leave so thought he could come for a couple of days and then I'd stay longer.
We have regional flights so slightly restricted by that. Anyone any idea how warm or rainy Lisbon or maybe Porto would be ? We did look at a week in Madeira but not sure DH can get the time off.

OP posts:
Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 15/05/2022 09:18

I think most of Europe is unpredictable that time of year.
Porto is fab all year round, not been to Lisbon
someone on here suggested Madeira (Funchal) for a long weekend quite recently

Please
or

rookiemere · 15/05/2022 09:18

Palermo was another option if anyone has any thoughts on that ?

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 15/05/2022 15:13

In mid-late November all the places you list could be anything from mild and pleasant to pouring with rain and cold, so I think you need to pick somewhere which has plenty of appealing indoor attractions or go for a lovely hotel that you'll be happy to spend plenty of time in if the weather is rubbish.

Lisbon, being a capital city, has plenty of museums and a decent shopping district, if that sort of thing appeals. It's a lovely city too and everyone speaks English, which makes it an easy destination to be in as an English-speaker. Of your list, this would be my first choice.

Porto is lovely too, but a smaller city with probably less to do in inclement weather. I was only there for a day and liked it - it's very pretty.

I haven't been to Palermo, but I have been to Sicily several times and IME it's good to speak some Italian. But if you're happy to potter and visit museums and use Google Translate when needed, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Please
or

FleurDeLizz · 15/05/2022 15:14

There isn’t a lot to do in Porto so if it’s raining you might be a bit stuck

Please
or

MayorOfGentlemanTown · 15/05/2022 15:15

We went to Porto in late October a few years ago and it was wonderful. Lovely and warm.

Please
or

rookiemere · 15/05/2022 15:17

Thanks all @zafferana I'm leaning towards Lisbon for a number of reasons. I feel like even if we don't get decent weather there are a number of things to see and so.

Madeira would be good, but I'm not sure DH can get the time off unless we go for a week.

OP posts:
Please
or

No1HolidayPlanner · 15/05/2022 15:26

Lisbon is likely to be warmer than Porto.. we have booked a first time trip to Lisbon late September. Seems loads to do. Have booked a food tour which looks great.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?