Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone done twilight check in at bham airport recently ?

17 replies

thunderonly · 09/05/2022 18:36

The ques are putting fear into me!
Has anyone done this recently and was it worth it ? Can you use shirt stay parking? Do we all need to be present ?
We go next week, 18 weeks pregnant and really worrying about standing for hours with my pgp!

OP posts:
Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 09/05/2022 19:09

Not recently but it's worked well in the past.

I will say however that my DH flew out of BHX a few weeks ago, around 9 am and there were no queues whatsoever. I think it's hit and miss. I've had friends who have said they've waited 2 hours, others that have gone straight through. I have to fly through there myself soon but it's for work so que sera, sera.

If you're really worried you can pay for fast track but I think even that hasn't been great at times.

Please
or

thunderonly · 09/05/2022 20:33

@CornishGem1975 ahhh I see. It's whether I'm willing to risk it or not. I'm just so scared of missing the flight ! Yeah I've seen fast track isn't making a difference. I might call jet2 and see how this check in works. I'm also worried about our cases not making it on the plane !

OP posts:
Please
or

Haveyoulosttheplot · 09/05/2022 22:06

My mum did it last week. She said it was deserted at the time she went, was really quick and it did stop her worrying the next day when she went to fly. She had to park in car park 1 though as you only get 20 mins in the short stay and it wasn’t quite enough time by the time you’ve unloaded and wheeled yourself inside.

Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 09/05/2022 22:33

Generally people aren't missing their flights as they come and get you from the queue - doesn't stop it being a stress though!

Please
or

GroggyLegs · 09/05/2022 22:41

I agree it's luck of the draw Cornish.
Can't comment on twilight check in, but we flew at 10.30am on Easter Sunday & we literally walked straight into the security check area, no queue at all.

Personally I'd do what I could to relieve any stress on the day but I'm a horrible, horrible person when I travel, I get myself so worked up!

Please
or

thunderonly · 10/05/2022 06:14

My main worry is not being able to eat before the flight if we're rushing through. My blood pressure drops after standing for too long/not eating frequently aswell for some reason and don't fancy fainting in the que!
I mean I can pack cereal bars in my hand luggage but I need a proper breakfast before I get on the plane as we won't be eating properly until settled in the hotel.
Very tempted to just do it and eliminate one part of the process, just get straight into the que and hopefully gain abit of extra time

OP posts:
Please
or

thunderonly · 10/05/2022 06:15

We'll also have an autistic 7 year old with us who isn't going to be able to hack the waiting for long

OP posts:
Please
or

enterparentone · 10/05/2022 06:29

If your autistic child struggles with queuing, contact your airline about special arrangements which may well involve avoiding the queues . I think the sunflower lanyard is internationally recognised too and you should be offered support.

Please
or
Please
or

willitmatter · 10/05/2022 06:32

@enterparentone hi, I did actually contact special assistance, haven't heard anything back ! They initially sent me a form and it all seemed to be about mobility issues which he doesn't have, I did explain as much as I could about him getting overwhelmed with crowds etc but maybe it's because he doesn't need to use a wheelchair or something

Please
or

Sorry it's op

Please
or

enterparentone · 10/05/2022 06:34

@enterparentone hi, I did actually contact special assistance, haven't heard anything back ! They initially sent me a form and it all seemed to be about mobility issues which he doesn't have, I did explain as much as I could about him getting overwhelmed with crowds etc but maybe it's because he doesn't need to use a wheelchair or something

So much for their training eh! I'd suggest emailing again and using key words to maybe nudge them into remembering eg hidden disabilities. Sounds like the airports themselves should have people able to support even if your airline is rubbish

Please
or

lilao · 10/05/2022 12:38

We did fast track just over a week ago on a Sunday morning. We bought fast track after hearing the nightmares at Manchester. Normal queue was 2 hours with them having to pull people from queues, fast track queue was 20 mins. They only had 4 scanners open in the whole area!

Departures was extremely quiet as most people getting through the normal queue were having to go straight to their gate. I would look into getting some assistance if you can, I heard today that Birmingham have cancelled all fast track passes (not sure if this is true)

Please
or

willitmatter · 10/05/2022 16:57

Thanks everyone I did contact jet2 who said it's still available and to just turn up between 3pm and 8pm the day before the flight, only one person has to go and don't even need to take the passports apparently Confused think we will though just incase!
But yeah going to just do it

Please
or

haw · 11/05/2022 11:34

willitmatter · 10/05/2022 16:57

Thanks everyone I did contact jet2 who said it's still available and to just turn up between 3pm and 8pm the day before the flight, only one person has to go and don't even need to take the passports apparently Confused think we will though just incase!
But yeah going to just do it

So you know where to park? I think they have a drop off point you can stop for half an hour - do you think that would be long enough?

Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 11/05/2022 12:41

What I will say is there's been a lot of bad press about BHX queues recently but it's been a bit sensationalist. Also, a taxi driver friend was there yesterday and he said it was so quiet and asked why there were no newspapers there shouting about how there are NO queues snaking around the building.

Please
or

haw · 11/05/2022 12:43

CornishGem1975 · 11/05/2022 12:41

What I will say is there's been a lot of bad press about BHX queues recently but it's been a bit sensationalist. Also, a taxi driver friend was there yesterday and he said it was so quiet and asked why there were no newspapers there shouting about how there are NO queues snaking around the building.

I was hoping this was the case for the most part.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?