Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel money

9 replies

Dreamingof3 · 09/05/2022 08:07

What's the best way to take money on holiday these days?

Cash. Card? Is it better to pay by card abroad or withdraw cash?

Don't know why I'm being so dense about it 🤣

OP posts:
Please
or

tanstaafl · 09/05/2022 08:16

some cash and an exchange free credit card works for us.

Please
or

tanstaafl · 09/05/2022 08:17

Please
or

jackstini · 09/05/2022 08:17

Massively varies depending on where you are going so really need the country/area

In general a card like Halifax Clarity that does not charge extra for using in foreign currency (vast majority of cards do) Cash for tips and fast food etc.

Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 09/05/2022 11:02

We travel in Europe a lot and use a post office travel money card. Top up when there's a good rate.

Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 09/05/2022 11:02

I use Monzo

Please
or

ChatterMonkey · 09/05/2022 11:04

Im flying to spain later today, we have €200 for tips etc, and im planning on just using my debit card. Due to the account i have, i have no extra charges for using my card for payments abroad, and a small charge for withdrawing cash.

Please
or

ChatterMonkey · 09/05/2022 11:21

Should add, its because i have a reward account that there's no charge for card payments. On dps account there are charges, so our plan is if needed he can transfer money from his account to mine to avoid the extra charges

Please
or

Dreamingof3 · 09/05/2022 14:25

I'm with Halifax so I just checked....they state their fees and then say that these won't be charged if where you are making the foreign currency purchase, or withdrawing cash is within the eea (which our destination is). So I think we'll do a bit of cash and the just pay by card where we can and withdraw if needed

Thanks for the help

OP posts:
Please
or

tanstaafl · 09/05/2022 19:19

One thing OP, if you’re ever asked at the till whether you want to pay in euros or pounds , always say euros. ( or whatever the local currency is )

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?