Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

First holiday abroad as a singleton - where to go!

3 replies

katmunchkin · 01/05/2022 11:13

I'm really feeling the need for a week in the sun but have no friends available to join me! Can anyone suggest anywhere which is primarily safe and nice and warm (high 20s) for a 36 year old single woman to visit? 

I am double jabbed, want at least some days of lying by a pool / beach doing nothing, but couldn't do that for a whole week. So happy with a city break by the beach, or a small resort with things to do locally, public transport etc. 

has anyone done this recently and have any suggestions? Budget not necessarily an issue, happy with flights of any duration. Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Please
or

ItsOnlyWordsInnit · 01/05/2022 11:30

Barcelona has a small and central beach called Barceloneta, but it might be a bit too small for your purposes. It’s definitely ‚big city with a little beach‘ rather than ‚resort with sightseeing stuff‘.
Or there’s the Cote d‘Azur. You fly into Nice and there’s an excellent local train line going all along the coast from Cannes to the Italian border. So you could stay at any of the beach resorts there, but easily pop into Nice to visit museums and the like. Monaco is well worth a visit too, for the old town, the natural history museum, the jardin botanique and caves, and the sheer insanity of the wealth. May is not a good time to travel there though, because all the accommodation is booked up for the film festival and the grand prix.

Please
or

CeeJay81 · 01/05/2022 13:28

Chania Crete. A large town with Musuems, archaeological sites, beaches, beautiful harbour and old town. There's a good bus service and many organised trips to various places.
Checkout the chania face book group where you can ask question, I've seen people travelling alone on there.

Please
or

Notsomellownow · 01/05/2022 15:41

Some great suggestions there and Barcelona is the obvious choice. For something slower paced you could try Agios Gordios on Corfu. Beautiful seaside resort with some nice walks and restaurants. You can take a trip to Corfu old town when/if you get bored of the beach. I met quite a few female solo travellers last time I was there.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?