Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Blood thinners on hold baggage

8 replies

thunderonly · 29/04/2022 10:51

Hi me again Blush
Trying to get through to jet2 been on hold 45 mins !
I have to take blood thinners, they are pre filled syringes and wondering if anyone knows if I need to declare these and take a letter/prescription with me like you would if carrying them on board the cabin ?
Can't risk them being taken off me but also they are prescribed by a consultant and not sure if they would write a letter for me as they wouldn't even write one to my gp

OP posts:
Please
or

thunderonly · 29/04/2022 10:51

Should've been more clear, they will be in my suitcase in the original packaging along with an empty sharps bin which I'll need to bring back with me.

OP posts:
Please
or

MochaHoldTheMilkAndCoffee · 29/04/2022 11:47

I'm on Clexane, they are also prefilled syringes. I've travelled with these before. I always taken a note from my GP to say what they are, what they are for and that they are essential. I carry those and the sharps bin in my hand luggage because its not worth your hold luggage going missing for a day or two with those in.
No one has ever batted an eyelid. Also flown with jet2 and did this (I'll be doing this on Sunday actually)

Please
or

zafferana · 29/04/2022 12:43

I thought you were always supposed to take medication in your hand luggage? Surely it's too much of a risk that your hold luggage will go missing and then you'll be without your meds? But absolutely, I would be taking a letter from your consultant and probably also checking with the airline re: sharps policy and pre-filled syringes for essential meds.

Please
or

Bobbybobbins · 29/04/2022 12:47

Agree with above - would definitely carry them in hand luggage in case your care goes missing/luggage delayed.

Please
or

Fleurty · 29/04/2022 12:49

I'm type I diabetic and always carry all my medication and needles in hand luggage. My diabetic team wrote me a letter to take with me but I've never been asked for it in 20 years of travelling on planes.

Also don't bother taking a whole sharps bin, take an empty coke (or other soft drink) bottle with a screw top so it's secure and resealable and transfer them to the sharps bin when you get home. Saves a lot of space!

Please
or

thunderonly · 29/04/2022 14:21

Good point about the hold baggage. I just thought because they come in quite big boxes and I'll need a few for the stay it'd be better to have them in suitcase, but didn't think about the case potentially getting lost.

Will it be okay to carry used needles in an empty coke bottle ? I thought this might be considered 'not safe enough' maybe ?

I have rang the hospital and asked a midwife to speak to a doctor to sort a letter, she didn't seem too confident though ! Would I be able to carry the actual prescription instead do you think if all else fails ?

OP posts:
Please
or

greyinganddecaying · 29/04/2022 14:30

Definitely put them in hand luggage. Also the hold temperature can drop quite low which can affect medications (insulin for example).

I always take my repeat prescription form to prove that they're prescribed meds. I've never needed to show a letter, but get one if you can just in case.

In terms of sharps, if you fill an empty bottle and put it in your hold luggage to return home that shouldn't be a problem, I've done this before.

Please
or

greyinganddecaying · 29/04/2022 14:33

Also I think you can have a separate medications bag as well as hand luggage if needed. When you get to the airport track down the special assistance service who may be able to help with taking medications through etc.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?