Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is a ticket to the summit of Eiffel Tower worth it?

20 replies

littlestpogo · 23/04/2022 10:39

Hi all

I am going for a trip to Paris with my youngest DS (7 but pretty mature) in June. Looking no to book tickets for the Eiffel Tower and wondering if the summit is worth it or just 2nd floor ( far greater availability of time slots for the 2nd).

many thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

crumpet · 23/04/2022 10:44

In my view, yes it is. Ds went to second at the same age. We had tickets for the top but he chose not to go up as his friend was too scared and he decided to stay with him. But years later he still has regrets about having been on the eifffel tower but not having been right to the top.

Please
or

crumpet · 23/04/2022 10:45

But it does also depend on your sons views on heights. Am pretty sure ds’s friend has no regrets at all!

Please
or

Time40 · 23/04/2022 11:03

I don't know if it's worth it, but I do know that it's bloody terrifying ... the lift goes up one of the legs of the tower sideways - it's absolutely awful - and I love fairground rides, but sideways up a the leg of a massive tower was truly something else. I didn't make it to the top - had to make an emergency exit on the second floor.

Please
or

littlestpogo · 23/04/2022 11:06

Thanks both.

Crikey @Time40 - I’m not great with heights and neither of us like rollercoasters etc so now wondering if I could cope!

OP posts:
Please
or

Time40 · 23/04/2022 11:22

@littlestpogo It really was one of the worst things of that type I've ever tried to do. It was being tipped sideways but also going upwards that I couldn't cope with. I'm not great with heights sometimes - it just depends on the sort of thing. I love smaller, vintage rollercoasters, but I don't think I could cope with a big modern one. I was a bit nervous about going on the London Eye, but when I did it I was rather disappointed because it was so extremely tame that it was quite boring! Everyone else with me on my failed attempt to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower was absolutely fine, and I suspect they all thought I was an awful wimp and a bit mad.

Please
or

123sunshine · 25/04/2022 05:40

recently Visited Paris with my teens. I would not go up the Eiffel Tower again. The lifts and the heights was too much for me even my teens didn’t want to hang around. It’s one of those touristy things that you do though to tick off the list. Preferred the experience and views from the top of the sacre couer

Please
or

TheHuntingoftheSnark · 25/04/2022 05:46

As long as you are ok with heights, yes it is. If you are going you might as well do it properly.

Please
or

itstrue · 25/04/2022 06:06

You should go to the top. It's not that bad. We walked up to the 2nd level and then caught the lift up to the top. My kids loved being able to stay they climbed the tower

Please
or

ChateauMargaux · 25/04/2022 06:12

I would say.. second floor yes... top floor nit tht much different but higher. I went as a teen to the top and in my 20's several times to the second floor when I loved their for a few months, with kids to the second floor. I don't think there is much benefit to the extra height.

Please
or

Fuuuuuckit · 25/04/2022 06:41

I've been several times, as a dc myself and with my own dc.

I'd say there's no point going if you don't go to the top. The lift to the 1st and 2nd floors do go I a peculiar manner, but you don't go sideways, or on a slant - it's more like a cliff lift that you might go on at a UK seaside, and they are double-decker.

My grandad never made it up to the top but quite happily waited for us whilst we did a few times.

Please
or

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 25/04/2022 06:46

The views etc from the 2nd floor are pretty impressive!! I’ve been to the second floor a few times, but I never felt the need to go all the way to the top!!

Please
or

LoveSpringDaffs · 25/04/2022 06:55

Of course go to the top. I was about 7 the first time. I have a crap memory, but I still remember that, though it might be aided by my mums fussing!!

I've been several times since & have never considered the lifts an issue. Last time I went my friend walked up, my knees said 'no thank you' (or was it fuck right off?!.

anyway, it's nothing like sideways or a rollercoaster etc.

Do it!!

Please
or

Dilbertian · 25/04/2022 06:58

We are a family with a range of heights-lovers and heights-fearers, and rollercoaster-lovers and rollercoaster-haters. We've been up the Eiffel Tower several times over the years.

We have always walked up to the first level and then taken the lifts the rest of the way. It's much cheaper that way, and there's less queuing. Definitely worth going all the way to the top. Take your time and walk all the way round the tower at each level. The view and the feel changes at each level. Wwe always use loo at the very top, too, but don't generally bother with the very overpriced shops and eateries.

The lifts on the legs move up and down sideways. You stand level. We take the lifts all the way down.

The Arc de Triomphe is also an excellent viewpoint to visit. Even though it is not nearly as high, its location gives a stunning view. No lifts IIRC, but a long spiral staircase that is completely enclosed.

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 25/04/2022 09:28

i couldnt go right to the top of st pauls, and i dont really enjoy the BT tower but i did like the Eiffel - took me a while to pluck up courage to stand near the railings. I just didnt look when we did the slopy lift people are talking about. I'd go again as the views are amazing

Please
or

HGC2 · 25/04/2022 09:41

yes, definitely do it. I am terrified of heights but kept my eyes closed in the lift. I was so glad I did it

Please
or

HollyHocks13 · 25/04/2022 09:52

I grew up in Paris. I would always recommend going up the Tour Montparnasse instead. It's higher than the Eiffel Tower and the lift is far less scary. It's also cheaper and you get fantastic views with the Eiffel Tower in them! Oh and there is a cafe/bar at the top 😊

Please
or

Ashara · 25/04/2022 09:55

I was also just about to say the Tour Montparnasse is far better. The views are amazing - so much better. We have lunch in the restaurant, although that might be a but much for a 7YO, but it's great.

Please
or

littlestpogo · 25/04/2022 16:32

Thanks all

We are hoping to go up Montparnasse the next day ( I have been annoying and started a general thread on tips of what to do!). I think I might get the ticket to the top and then we can decide on the day - DS particularly what’s to go at night and some tickets to the top just opened so problem solved!

he loves eating so will look at the restaurant as Montparnasse as well - thanks for the tip 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

CarmenThePanda · 25/04/2022 16:36

Yes, go to the top!

Please
or

quietnightmare · 25/04/2022 16:42

If you go to Paris you see the Mona Lisa and the Eiffel Tower and eat some frogs legs. You only live once , get to the top

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?