Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Advice please - taxis from JFK to Manhattan

15 replies

GalPalsOnTour · 17/04/2022 18:08

Help please! We will be 4 adults with 4 large suitcases between us, plus a standard backpack each as hand luggage.

Last time I went to New York with DH we walked out of the airport and got straight into a cab to drive into Manhattan.

Do we need to book a cab for our larger party? Will there be big enough cabs to take four of us and four suitcases?

Any tips?

OP posts:
Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 17/04/2022 18:16

I'd prebook a transfer as it will be cheaper and less hassle with a group. I always use Super Shuttle as they have always been great service, and I can usually find a discount code online as well. They do private transfers so you can book a van just for your group

Please
or

GalPalsOnTour · 17/04/2022 18:52

Really helpful thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

BunsyGirl · 17/04/2022 19:03

There are some larger taxis which will fit four large suitcases in. It’s a fixed fare to and from JFK of $75 plus tip. A private transfer will be more expensive. The cheapest I could get was $95 plus tip. That was with Prem’s Luxury. I would recommend them. However we were travelling with two DCs and I didn’t want to be hanging around at the airport after a long flight. It was actually really quiet when we arrived at terminal 7 (BA) so I don’t think we would have had to wait long but I didn’t want to take the risk.

Please
or

givethatbabyaname · 17/04/2022 19:05

Uber X.

Although these days they’re more expensive than yellow cabs, and the wait time is longer. But, you’ll be guaranteed a big enough car.

Please
or

BunsyGirl · 17/04/2022 19:35

Uber X wanted to charge us $200 dollars from Manhattan to JFK although there was a price surge due to people avoiding the subway due to the shooting incident. Lyft was a bit cheaper … but we couldn’t get either due to how busy it was.

Please
or

MaverickSnoopy · 17/04/2022 19:39

As above I've used Super Shuttle too. I found then to be great - reliable, reasonably priced and great customer service.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 17/04/2022 23:30

AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Station, Long Island Railroad to Penn Station. You can all travel together, and it's way cheaper than anything else bar the subway (also from Jamaica Station).

Please
or

ladydimitrescu · 17/04/2022 23:36

Definitely pre book a transfer - cabs are expensive and it's not as short a journey as you'd think, especially in traffic!

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 17/04/2022 23:47

Super Shuttle user here too. Train and large suitcases? No!!!! Awful journey.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 18/04/2022 05:15

DD and I and all her earthly belongings took the LIRR from Islip to Penn Station when I was dropping her off to university a few years ago.

We had three huge suitcases and two backpacks plus one big duffle bag of bedding between us. The train was great.

Penn Station had some helpful security personnel, one of whom brought us to the right exit and whistled for a taxi for us.

Please
or

Alm0nd1 · 18/04/2022 07:55

2 years ago we walked out to the stand past Dunkin and got a taxi for 5(2 adults &3 teens) and luggage for 6 weeks within minutes.

Please
or

Alm0nd1 · 18/04/2022 07:56

It was cheaper than the transfers we were looking at.

Please
or

Alm0nd1 · 18/04/2022 07:58

We did Air Train back and it wasn’t too bad but our luggage was 1 wheeled small/ medium suitcase and a backpack each.

Please
or

AtillatheHun · 18/04/2022 08:00

You take a fixed price car service - you get a limo (not a stretch) for a fixed price. You can call once you’re clearing immigration. Carmel cars or 777 777 (there also used to be number of the beast cars 666 666 but not sure if that’s still running. Or if that was Carmel???)

Please
or

AtillatheHun · 18/04/2022 08:03

(God it’s still only $52! Bear in mind that you’ll pay bridge / tunnel fees depending on where you’re headed in Manhattan)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?