Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Your Eurotunnel top tips

11 replies

lidolemon · 17/04/2022 13:47

We're now thinking about heading to Eastern France for the summer. We will be towing a trailer and coming from the East Midlands, so about a 4 hour drive before we reach Folkestone. Previously, we have used Brittany Ferries, and gone overnight, but the cost is eyewatering and won't help us with journey times on the French side.

So, we are thinking of using the tunnel, but this is a big change for us, in how we plan our holiday. We're quite happy to drive up to about 4 hours per day. Which means that we will need to think about an overnight either near Folkestone, or on the other side. To complicate matters, we are a family of 5, so places like Premier inns can turn out to be expensive when we need 2 rooms.

What tips do you recommend for getting the eurotunnel, especially trying to get it cheaper? We don't shop at Tesco, so it rules out using clubcard? All tips welcome.

OP posts:
Please
or

ForSaleChesterDraws · 17/04/2022 15:30

We use Clubcard points to help pay. If you have bikes on the roof you get on the front of the train, so are one of the first off for a quick getaway. We always stay in France and use Ibis or even Ibis budget.

Would NEVER get a ferry, the Eurotunnel is just so easy.

Please
or

FinallyGotAnIPhone · 20/04/2022 22:24

We always take the tunnel, we are a family of five (youngest 2, eldest 11). We have always used Clubcard points which always covers the whole cost (I see you say you say you don’t use Tesco though)- otherwise it’s about £300 or so I think. I’ve no idea how to get it cheaper sorry.
The tunnel is no hassle at all- although we went last week and they were short staffed so we waited much longer than normal.
In France have stayed on campsites in mobile homes, in air B&Bs and also one year we got two rooms in an Ibis budget en route to our campsite which was very cheap. Enjoy.

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 21/04/2022 07:48

Not sure if it makes a difference but I would see if an overnight stay is cheaper outside Folkstone or Calais, maybe 1 hour away from Calais.

There are several cheaper motel type chains in France, clean but absolute no-nonsense but if you are just after a bed they are fine.

I love the tunnel, fast, very efficiant organised and absolutely no hassle. You are around 1/2 hour in the tunnel but you need at least 1 hour each side beforehand to get into the queues.

I don't think you get any deals on the tunnel unless Clubcard voucher but the standard tickets are fairly priced I find. The flexible ones are dear, unless you really need flexibiliy I wouldn't pay for them.

Please
or

Instantnoodles · 21/04/2022 08:02

It will be cheaper if you try to travel early morning or late evening. Because the crossing is so short we are usually able to manage a couple of hours on the other side, which takes you to Reims where there are loads of cheap accommodation options. It's easy driving and worth considering if you can manage it. There are fewer crossings post COVID and crossings by tunnel and ferry appear to be much more expensive this year.

Please
or

FindMeInTheSunshine · 21/04/2022 08:09

If you're looking for cheap but clean stopover hotels it's worth looking at https://www.hotel-bb.com/en . Some hotels have rooms for 5. Even cheaper is likely to be a combi room in Hotel Formule 1. I haven't stayed in one for years, but they used to be shared bathrooms only, but incredibly clean as they were all automatic cleaning "pods".

Please
or

MrsSaltshaker · 21/04/2022 08:16

Eurotunnel is ace. The earlier you book, the cheaper it will be (ie book now, I'm not talking about crossing times although avoiding peak times will be cheaper too).

Don't be too wedded to one particular crossing as they will shunt you onto whichever one is there if it's busy or you're early or late (this has worked to our advantage a few times).

Use the loo in the terminal as the ones one the train are gross.

The train itself is very basic - I once heard a family looking for the lounge bar 😂 presumably having been used to the ferry! There's nothing like that. Take your own snacks.

You can't take any meat or dairy into France (merci Brexit) so bear that on mind re sandwiches. There's info about this on the website although last time we travelled noone was checking.

Please
or

Footballsundays6777 · 21/04/2022 08:20

Look for a hotel the other side from the Accor chain, for example we could get two rooms for €60, the homes are basic but are clean and have en-suites etc.
as previous people have said the tunnel itself is basic, drive on… stay in car…. There are a few toilets located in various places but they are like aeroplane toilets.
the facilities before you board are good, but it’s quick and easy and we always use the tunnel.

Please
or

Footballsundays6777 · 21/04/2022 08:21

Oh yes and we always get across early, normally when you rock up they will put you on the next available crossing which is really helpful

Please
or

lidolemon · 22/04/2022 18:22

These are all very useful tips- I shall be checking them all tonight, so merci!

OP posts:
Please
or

HilaryThorpe · 22/04/2022 18:35

We live in France and use the tunnel a lot. It can be quick and easy but it can also go wrong, so I would be careful to have plenty of drinks and snacks with me. DD and family got stuck in Folkestone for 9 hours because of a technical fault on a visit to us last year and the terminal ran out of supplies. I think it has been pretty tricky at times this Easter too. Vast majority of trips are fine, but be prepared!

Please
or

purplesequins · 22/04/2022 18:37

go to the toilet before getting on the train.
they are not very nice and often lacking paper or are out of action.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?