Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Budapest - we're back!

1 reply

Houseplantmad · 13/04/2022 17:22

Thanks to all of your amazing suggestions and pointers, we had a brilliant time.

We were lucky in that our BA flights went on time and, as we had hand luggage, we had no issues with lost baggage.

I'd thoroughly recommend our Airbnb - we were four (us, DS, 20, and DD 18) but it could have slept six - and it was perfectly located for getting around as well as being really spacious and great value - £300 for five nights.

We didn't do the House of Terror because of mixed reviews, although it was just along from where we were staying but instead did a pre-booked tour of Memento Park, which was a real highlight. It was fascinating to learning about living under Fascism and then the "saviour" of communism. Judit, our tour guide, was so interesting and passionate about sharing her knowledge. I'm not sure it would be the same without a tour guide though and not for younger children.

We did two thermal baths - Rudas and Gellert. Rudas was much nicer and we enjoyed the rooftop hot tub with a view. Gellert felt a it neglected (the hotel has shut down) and wasn't as clean as Rudas,. Two hours was enough for all of us at each.

We did a pre-booked tour of parliament which was also interesting but quite short at 45 mins, so relatively expensive. Online it showed just one tour at 8.30am in English but, in fact, there were two more later on in the day too.

We climbed Gellert Hill and enjoyed the view, although it was very chilly in the wind. The Citadella is all fenced off due to restoration work.

Our visit to the Castle area was a bit rushed as we had a booking to go to the baths late afternoon, so I wish I had allowed more time in the area as there's so much to see. DS and I did return to visit the National Gallery.

We visited the Central Market but I didn't think much of it and much preferred Lehel Market, the food market for locals. If you go there, don't miss the Langos stall by the stairs. Have a plain one with just garlic and it was sublime and a bargain at 400F each, as opposed to 1600F each in more trendy locations. DCs went to several vintage shops and bought a few items, so were happy.

The Jewish quarter was interesting, especially the memorial to its time as a ghetto. We went to the Karavan food market and it there were a few British hen and stag parties there, with UK prices on the food.

We had some of the best restaurant meals we've ever had in our lives while there, and at ridiculously cheap prices - £50 for four with starter/dessert, main and alcohol. You really can eat for so little from bakeries etc. We tried our fair share of cake and chimney cakes too, which was fun.

As usual, we walked and walked so discovered places on the way and found it easy to negotiate the transport system (again, very cheaply priced). It's a really lovely city - so beautiful and with so much to see against an interesting historical background - so I'd recommend a visit!

Thanks again for the tips.

OP posts:
Please
or

ovenchips · 19/04/2022 09:05

@houseplantmad Thanks for your trip update. Sounds like such a good time was had and I really fancy Budapest myself now!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?