Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New York

20 replies

alwaystakethetrip · 12/04/2022 21:05

Looking for quirky, off the beaten track restaurants in NYC - any recommendations?

OP posts:
Please
or

tumpymummy · 12/04/2022 23:30

It's definitely not off the beaten track (long queues), but you cant beat Ellen's diner if you like musicals. I loved it, even though it's a massive cliche.

Please
or

LoudingVoice · 12/04/2022 23:34

Kats Deli, you can get there on the subway - best potato salad & Ruben sandwiches on earth Smile

Please
or

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 12/04/2022 23:43

Yes its not cool or off the beaten track, but its so clichéd its a must do in NYC. If you hate musicals I wouldnt bother with Ellins stardust diner though. I love it!

There are thousands of restaurants, I'd look at trying something that isn't common where you live. So we had Ethiopian, sushi and Thai because we live in a tiny city that didn't have those restaurants back then.

Oh, and definitely go to a proper bagel and Eileen's special cheesecake too

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 13/04/2022 08:49

The Meatball Shop, at either the Bedford Av branch or Hell’s Kitchen.
Mex Brenner chocolate restaurant
Juliana’s pizza restaurant
TimeOut Market

Please
or

KittenKong · 13/04/2022 08:52

Andrew’s coffee shop 7th and 35th - it’s a diner (but who doesn’t like a greasy spoon!)

Please
or

Sofasogood1 · 13/04/2022 11:34

Not been in a few years and again not sure if counts as off the track but -
Chelsea market
Pizza at Sal's
Katz's - it's a classic
Russ & Daughters - so good! There's a deli and a restaurant
I loved the dive bars in Brooklyn where you get a free pizza with a beer! :D

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 13/04/2022 11:41

Thanks everyone - some great ideas!

OP posts:
Please
or

sobercuriouskind · 15/04/2022 22:56

Just got back from NYC. I'd recommend Dekalb in the downstairs of City Point in Brooklyn.

Please
or

ItsTheKissing · 15/04/2022 22:57

Benjamins - best steak ever

Please
or

EachandEveryone · 15/04/2022 23:03

Freetoursbyfoot do amazing food tours. They cost a couple of dollars in each place tha5vway you get to have abit of everything and you can go back to any of them for a full meal at a later date.

Please
or

Equimum · 15/04/2022 23:05

Juniors in Brooklyn (although I think they have one in Manhattan too)

Please
or

Soffit · 16/04/2022 11:10

Grand Central Oyster Bar - I wish that we had gems like that located inside our mainline stations rather than Upper Crust and Costa!

Lombardi in the Italian district is interesting. They make coal fire pizza. There is also a great clam restaurant around the corner from it.

Please
or

Soffit · 16/04/2022 11:12

Oops - they are not off the beaten track. There are loads of other places in Williamsburg and further afield. It depends on how far off the track you are willing to go?

Please
or

JustJam4Tea · 16/04/2022 11:19

We walked over the Brooklyn bridge and queued for pizza at midday at a pizza restaurant that was amazing at Grimaldis. Not off the beaten track but ace. We also did a New York food waking tour…stuffed.

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 16/04/2022 13:07

@Soffit

Oops - they are not off the beaten track. There are loads of other places in Williamsburg and further afield. It depends on how far off the track you are willing to go?

Manhattan recommendations great - am looking for the hidden gems! Thanks!
OP posts:
Please
or

1990s · 16/04/2022 13:15

None of these are off the beaten track! They are all very touristy (and I’m sure good depending on what you like).

OP I hope someone living in Manhattan comes along and can give you some actual gems, I would have been able to 5 years ago when I lived there but things have changed a lot with Covid.

Please
or

1990s · 16/04/2022 13:15

You don’t need to go literally off the track to Williamsburg…

Please
or

1990s · 16/04/2022 13:18

Restaurant week happens twice a year and isn’t on at the moment, but looking at the list of places that were part of it is a good indicator usually of where is good currently:

www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/the-best-restaurants-to-book-for-nyc-winter-restaurant-week-2022

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 16/04/2022 17:06

[quote 1990s]Restaurant week happens twice a year and isn’t on at the moment, but looking at the list of places that were part of it is a good indicator usually of where is good currently:

[[https://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/the-best-restaurants-to-book-for-nyc-winter-restaurant-week-2022XV1bL3F1b3Rl]
Brilliant - thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Maltester71 · 16/04/2022 18:45

What sort of food? We went to an amazing Mexican and had guacamole made at the table. I’ll look it up if you like that sort of food?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?