Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Dubrovnik-3 day break in April with teen DD

15 replies

Wordlewobble · 12/04/2022 09:56

Any top tips and advice for my our forthcoming trip to Dubrovnik this week with teen DD? We are staying at hotel Lapad and its a last minute short 3 night break. Any top tips please as I desperately want it to be a success.
Airport to hotel - late flight so quickest mode of transport that won’t rip us off?
Itinerary ideas things to do when time is short she isn’t a GOT fan and I don’t fancy kayaking?
Temperature clothing advice for me when packing in a tiny suitcase (apart from comfy shoes/walking sandals)?
Best ice cream and pizzeria (DD is a fussy eater but loves ice cream and pizza, she also isn’t quite old enough to drink). But she is up for an adventure and hopefully this trip will help us to get along better.
Thank you in anticipation

OP posts:
Please
or

NeedleNoodle3 · 12/04/2022 10:44

How about a ferry trip to one of the islands?

Please
or

Svalberg · 12/04/2022 11:07

There's a coach from the airport to the old town that then goes onto the new harbour but I'm not sure about from there to your hotel - the only time I got a taxi I was ripped off so I can't recommend any!
Walk round the city walls, but if it's very sunny do it early in the day. There is a good ice cream place in one of the side streets on the left as you walk down the main street in the old town, more towards the big water fountain end. Boat to Lokrum (island just outside Dubrovnik) from the old harbour, there's a sheltered, and therefore warmer, pool on the island which is refreshed by the sea but is mostly inland. Pizza recommendations we got from Lonely Planet & I can't remember any names, sorry!

Please
or

Svalberg · 12/04/2022 12:25

Just remembered, we got sandwiches from Buffet Skola (again, about the 4th road on your left down the main road from the fountain) to take to Lokrum. They make them to order if you want or don't want something. The good ice cream shop is in the road after Skola, I think it may be called Dolce Vita. Sitting in the old harbour with a coffee just watching the boats & the cats is good, as long as a cruise ship isn't in (or in the early evening just as the cruisers have gone).

Please
or

ruthieness · 12/04/2022 14:33

Please
or

SLT2022 · 12/04/2022 14:47

There's a couple of Italian restaurants in Lapad itself.

Definitely go to the cave bar below hotel more in Lapad.

There's a supermarket called Tommy's just round the back of the tennis courts which is great to pick up whatever snacks and drinks you want.

Dubrovnik walls are a lovely walk would advise taking a cardigan or jumper though.

On the main strip in Lapad there's lots of stands doing boat tours, we did a 3 island one and it was fantastic.

Please
or

rookiemere · 12/04/2022 15:03

It's quick and easy to get an Uber from your hotel to just outside the city gates. I'd recommend doing that in preference to getting the bus.

Please
or

Wordlewobble · 12/04/2022 15:06

Thanks for all the top tips. Excited muchly!! What about taxi/transport from the airport to the hotel we land 7.30pm so wanted a quick turnaround to get some dinner.

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 12/04/2022 15:23

I'd get an uber from the airport- it was around £40 when we got one three years ago, may well have gone up since but cheaper than a taxi and quicker than a bus.

Please
or

Wordlewobble · 12/04/2022 18:08

Thanks @rookiemere we don’t have Uber where we live in rural area so have just downloaded the app now.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wordlewobble · 13/04/2022 12:34

Have been having a look online and all the excursions seem extremely pricey should I book online in advance or is it cheaper and easy enough to book once we get there? Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

wardrobeconundrum · 13/04/2022 13:19

The airport bus is easy, clean, and cheap and brings you right to the center. It should still be operating when you arrive. Alternatively, you can use Uber - it's cheaper than a regular taxi, but don't be surprised if a "normal" taxi comes to pick you up, it tends to be the same guys. You might be able to negotiate a cash price for him to take you back at the end of your trip as well.

The good news is that it's a Mediterranean country, so restaurants will be serving dinner until late, I.e. you don't need to rush too much from the airport!

I'm not sure about the excursions, but at this time of year I think you should be fine to book on the spot. It doesn't hurt to ask if there is a discount for paying in cash, a lot of places still do this although not to the same extent as 10 years ago.

Dubrovnik is definitely the kind of place that is best enjoyed strolling around and discovering things on your own - leave at least a half day if not full day of unstructured time to walk around the old town. Evenings are especially beautiful and you might be lucky to see some traditional live music. A short tour might help you appreciate and understand the history a bit more but I know that's not everyone's thing.

In addition to the great suggestions from pp, there are also day excursions to Montenegro - might be cool to do two countries in one trip! While it's not what I'd usually recommend for a first trip to DBV (especially such a short one), if you want a sense of adventure and don't mind spending more time on a boat getting there and back, it's an option. Honestly, I'd recommend focusing on DBV and maybe one of the islands this time, but the reason I'm putting it out there is because I know I would've found that exciting as a teenager!

Please
or

wardrobeconundrum · 13/04/2022 13:29

In terms of wardrobe, it's really boring advice, but layers are the way to go. I wouldn't be surprised if you could walk around in a tank top and sandals during the day, but need to wrap up in a jumper and closed shoes in the evening. The locals like to dress up (well, some of them!) but don't feel you need to.

There is lots of good pizza, I haven't been since Covid so am a bit fuzzy on exact places, but you should be fine walking into any random restaurant. There is a lot of overlap between Dalmatian and Italian cuisine, so I wouldn't worry too much about specifically going to an Italian place as it's pretty much the same thing.

Please
or

Pointblank2 · 13/04/2022 14:27

I can recommend a meal at the Yacht club Orsan which is about 400 yards from your hotel.
If you like walking then there is a fab circular walk around the Babin Kuk peninsula, walk past the Yacht club then follow the coast path right round to lapad beach and back to your hotel. It’s a fair walk but stunning scenery.
Check what cruise ships are in port, if there are thousands of passengers then Dubrovnik is rammed. We took to going in at 4pm when the cruise passengers were going back to ship. We also walked the walls at that time and saw the start of a fantastic sunset.
I second Uber in Croatia, very efficient

Please
or

Pointblank2 · 13/04/2022 14:41

Actually just read latest reviews on the yacht club restaurant and they are mixed, it’s a fantastic setting tho

Please
or

Wordlewobble · 13/04/2022 16:10

Thanks all plenty of food for thought.

We will go with Uber to save time as I am also in a hurry to unwind and start our holiday. We will do the walls early on then Dubrovnik old town if not rammed first full day 1. I would love to go to Montenegro and Mosta for the day this visit but feel our trip is a day or two short. But we might manage Lokrum island or Kavtat or similar and we will definitely spend time just mooching, savouring and soaking everything up. Where would be best (at this time of year for a slightly different feel experience) thanks

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?