Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Does baby need their own seat British Airways?

12 replies

lalallola · 11/04/2022 11:32

My baby will be 8 months old when we travel, do we need to book a seat for her? Obviously we will be taking her pushchair, car seat. We went away when she was 3 months and we had to book a seat for her with Ryanair so was just wondering if it would be the same for British Airways?

OP posts:
Please
or

Pyri · 11/04/2022 11:44

No, she should be fine

If short haul - sit on your lap
If long haul - book the bulkhead seats with the bassinet, BA will provide a baby bouncer / seat thing that sits in there

Please
or

TrialofTrials · 11/04/2022 11:56

You don't need to book a seat with ba or ryanair. But you need to buy a ticket on both

Please
or

lalallola · 11/04/2022 12:56

@TrialofTrials

You don't need to book a seat with ba or ryanair. But you need to buy a ticket on both

As in buy her a ticket?
OP posts:
Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 11/04/2022 13:01

A lap infant ticket.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 11/04/2022 13:01

You book them a ticket as an Infant (zero or minimal cost IIRC). They do not get a seat for this though.

Alternatively, you can book and pay for an actual seat..

Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 11/04/2022 13:02

Always book the seat if you can afford it. Bulkheads aren't guaranteed, smaller babies take priority. PITA.

How long is the flight?

Please
or

Ozanj · 11/04/2022 13:04

You could just book them as an infant as a freebie. But at 8 mths she will def be too big for the bassinet and will need to sit on your lap. If she’s a chubster buying her a seat may be better for your knees if you’re flying longhaul. However, if you fly Emirates, they will try and give you a seat for a 9-12 mth old if possible (it’s their policy) so if an option is available for your journey do consider them.

Please
or

Ozanj · 11/04/2022 13:06

A bassinet is meant for babies while they can’t sit. In reality they’re probably too small for most babies over 3-4 mths if they are over the 50th centile in height and weight.

Please
or

DanishTwister78 · 11/04/2022 14:47

Under the age of two you don’t have to buy a separate seat. You can just book a ticket as a lap infant. That is unless you want to travel with the car seat in a seat (rather than in the hold) in which case you do need to book and pay for a separate seat. Beware though that BA doesn’t allow all car seats to be used on board so check their list of approved seats. All that said, although you don’t have to book a separate seat for under twos, we have always booked one anyway for long haul over the age of 1. It’s more expensive obviously but if you’re in economy I think the seats are just too small to be comfortable with a 1 year old on your lap for 8 hours. As previous posters mention, the bassinet at the bulkhead (which you might be able to book) is only really suitable for smaller babies. By 6 months my eldest was too big (though the extra leg room was still nice)

Please
or

LIZS · 11/04/2022 14:55

No buy an infant ticket and dc sits on your lap. You may be able to book a bassinet but 8 month baby is probably too large and they are few in number and for long haul flights

Please
or

AppleButter · 11/04/2022 15:04

I booked a bassinet when my baby was 6 months, but it was tiny, smaller than him, and it had to be attached with straps that blocked the top, meaning you couldn’t put the baby in or take him out lying down, you would have to thread him through the straps. Long haul from the IS, we had seats that you couldn’t move the armrests but these were meant to be better for babies. BA wouldnt give us a bigger bassinet because the baby was under one year, even though his legs wouldn’t fit in. And the crew were just partying, fetching drinks bottles out of their lockers and not helpful or bothered. It was a bloody nightmare.
Book an extra seat if it is longhaul, and make sure the armrests can go down, because if you do end up holding baby the whole time, you need more space for your arms else it is very painful. I was sleepless and broken and crying at dawn because I hadnt slept the entire night. And then our next flight to a european country was delayed and i was just weeping at the airport, sick with tiredness.

Please
or

AppleButter · 11/04/2022 15:06

I think it must have been bulkhead seats we had, with 10cm extra legroom, but the arm rests not moveable. I don’t remember whether the seats could be reclined, it was awful due to the bassinet being absolutely useless.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?