Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Any 'armchair' travel agents that could help me with ideas for our next holiday?

26 replies

PiratePenguin · 11/04/2022 07:51

Just back from a fab European city break (first one in 4 year;been cancelled three times!) and my feet have got itchy again. We'd love to go away next Easter for 10 -14 days but no idea where to start looking.

Child 1 - 14 likes nature, wildlife
Child 2 - 12 likes water parks, adrenaline sports
Husband and I like culture and exploring - not sitting on a beach / sun lounger
Budget - not sure but around 6k (could be more).
We don't mind low budget (have stayed in YMCA and youth hostels before) in order to spend money on more expensive experiences.

Thinking Asia or South America but not sure where. Wouldn't mind a two centred holiday travelling to two locations. Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations for places I can start to research? The world id a big place and I'm almost stuck to where to start looking!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Chatwin · 11/04/2022 07:54

Costa Rica

Please
or

PiratePenguin · 11/04/2022 07:56

@Chatwin Thanks. Have you been? Any suggestions? Off to google now .....

OP posts:
Please
or

TheHuntingoftheSnark · 11/04/2022 08:04

Mexico? Yucatan seems to meet your needs

Please
or

RishiRich · 11/04/2022 08:12

I don't think your budget will get you to Costa Rica, but Mexico (Caribbean coast) would tick all your boxes with ease.

Please
or

Silkierabbit · 11/04/2022 08:13

Costa Rica would fit that perfectly, our kids are very similar and absolutely loved it, the wildlife, the ziplines, rainforest etc, very active holiday.

Borneo could also work well if can get the flights for not too much. I had a trip there scheduled for 2020 which has never taken place due to covid.

Please
or

SallyMcNally · 11/04/2022 08:13

Sri Lanka maybe. Not sure about the adrenaline sports though.

Please
or

PiratePenguin · 11/04/2022 08:18

@ Silkierabbit How long were you in Costa Rica for? Roughly how much was your trip?

Borneo and Sri Lanka are potentially out as I've been there before (my family haven't but I'd like, if possible, to venture to somewhere new).

Will look in to Mexico.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm a bit of a saddo and enjoy planning and looking forward to a trip almost as much as the trip itself!!

OP posts:
Please
or

towelsocks · 11/04/2022 08:29

California has it all!

Please
or

Silkierabbit · 11/04/2022 08:33

We went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks in August, maybe 2017 and for everything for 2 kids and 2 adults was £8000, £6000 to TUI for the resort and AI and then £2000 for 5 excursions out for 4 of us.

I think £6k is tight but possible, there would be ways to cut that like if you say do B&B and self cater that could take £1000 or so off the food or if you stay in cheaper places that could do it or 3 excursions rather than 5. Or maybe 10 days rather than 14 would shift it. We had wildlife on the resort like a coati, a family of raccoons, monkeys, rainforest and activities like sea kayaking, windsurfing, SUP beach, pools, beach volleyball included.

Trips out were Buena Vista (zipline with monkeys and toucans in rainforest), horseriding and waterslide through jungle, hot springs, active volcano all loved that one. Then one with a local company over to Caribbean side of island to see sloths etc in rainforest, amazing and they took just us. Then Diamante which had a 60mph zipline about 300 metres in the air which kids loved, lots of animals there as well incase you have missed any and think there are some watersports though we did not do those as had at hotel. Trip to Arenal volcano and hot springs, lovely day but if I had to cut from 5 to 3 would cut this one. And trip to botanical gardens, waterfall and cultural things, very beautiful and lovely but one I would cut if going from 5 to 3.

Please
or

Somuddled · 11/04/2022 09:01

I'd go to Vietnam. Great mix of history, culture and adventure. You also get a lot for your money. Dalat is pretty and there are lots of waterfall abseiling type adventure day trips from there. Hoi An old town is a Unesco world heritage site and a favourite with Vietnamese couples doing wedding shoots and so you see some spectacular sights. I could go into an endless list but it is safe to say I adored Vietnam and would go many times over

Diving, food, caves, stunning scenery, just lovely.

Have a look at Vietnam.travel

Please
or

doradoo · 11/04/2022 10:41

What about Slovenia / Lake Bled?

Please
or

SoggyPaper · 11/04/2022 11:45

South Korea is remarkably cheap once you’ve managed to get there. DH and I went for a week a couple of years ago and a nice hotel in central Seoul was £300. It was very easy to eat out for under £10. There are water and theme parks, lovely natural places to go, and it’s just interesting walking around.

Please
or

SoggyPaper · 11/04/2022 11:46

And you can visit the demilitarised zone and have a look at North Korea. The South Korean narrative the whole thing is couched in (you have to go on a tour) is fascinating).

Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 11/04/2022 11:49

Have you looked at Croatia, I've not been but its definatly on my bucket list. Or what about a cruise so a bit of everything for everyone.

Please
or

marcopront · 11/04/2022 12:50

I thought Costa Rica when I read your OP.

Please
or

2catsand2kids · 11/04/2022 13:57

I instantly thought Costa Rica when I read your post. We were due to be going in 2020 but obviously it didn’t happen. Our budget was 5.5k for four of us for 10 days. Flights were via Paris with Air France then staying one night near San Jose (as our flight arrived quite late), three nights in Arenal, two nights in monteverde and three nights in Manuel Antonio with a private driver to get us between each place and various activities (zip lining, wildlife tours etc). We are planning on doing the trip at some point in the future as I was so looking forward to it and I put so much effort into planning it all!

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 11/04/2022 18:31

I hate to put a dampener on things but airline prices are much higher now. A budget of £6000 for 4 to get a holiday in Costa Rica is not enough.

Please
or

SoggyPaper · 11/04/2022 19:16

You can fly to Costa Rica in august for £600 each.

Any 'armchair' travel agents that could help me with ideas for our next holiday?
Please
or

tumpymummy · 12/04/2022 23:35

@soggypaper what website is that please?

Please
or

bert3400 · 13/04/2022 04:41

Sign up for Jack's Flight Club, it finds really cheap deals on flights. Often Asia and South America come up with some crazy deals .

We went to Costa Rica a few years ago and the flight was with Tui but we booked the accommodation independently, hired a car and explored the Pacific coast.

Please
or

dreamingofaholidaysoon · 13/04/2022 05:12

Costa Rica. Absolutely!!

Please
or

dreamingofaholidaysoon · 13/04/2022 05:14

You can do Costa Rica on that budget. We're here now. Our flights cost £1900. Car hire £700. Two bedroom boutique hotels x 2 have totalled £1500. Total cost of holiday £4100. Were spending on average £100 a day on food drink activities etc. some activities are a bit more. Reckon we'll have spent £1500-£2000 spending by the time we finished. We drink and eat well. Total holiday £6000

Please
or

dreamingofaholidaysoon · 13/04/2022 05:15

@dreamingofaholidaysoon

You can do Costa Rica on that budget. We're here now. Our flights cost £1900. Car hire £700. Two bedroom boutique hotels x 2 have totalled £1500. Total cost of holiday £4100. Were spending on average £100 a day on food drink activities etc. some activities are a bit more. Reckon we'll have spent £1500-£2000 spending by the time we finished. We drink and eat well. Total holiday £6000

I should stress that's for four people. Staying in fabulous luxury boutique places with pools and a decent car for hire.
Please
or

SoggyPaper · 13/04/2022 07:58

[quote tumpymummy]@soggypaper what website is that please?[/quote]
That was just klm. There could be cheaper options

Please
or

tumpymummy · 13/04/2022 08:52

@dreamingofaholidaysoon £1900 for flights for 4 people is really cheap! Who was that with?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?