Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Porto, advice needed please

10 replies

Georgyporky · 08/04/2022 18:36

We spent a few hours in Porto at the end of a Douro cruise a few years ago, & want to go back. City break, 4-5 days.
I seem to remember that there's a very steep hill, & my aged legs aren't what they used to be.
Where are the tourist attractions, & restaurants? Top or bottom of the hill? Should we book an hotel top or bottom? What's transport like?

Any specific recommendations for hotels would also be welcome - location is more important than * rating for this holiday.

Thanks for your help.

OP posts:
Please
or

Georgyporky · 09/04/2022 18:36

Has nobody ever been to Porto (Oporto) ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Frenchfancy · 09/04/2022 18:38

We are going at the and of August, so I'm watching for recommendations.

Please
or

JustJam4Tea · 09/04/2022 18:39

Watching as want to know too!

Please
or

mazylou · 09/04/2022 18:47

Mainly bottom of the hill, the waterfront area is lovely. Can't help with hotels as we did Airbnb, but my partner had recently had surgery when we went and as we were staying near the top of the hill, we'd walk down and cab back up if tiredness hit.

Please
or

mazylou · 09/04/2022 19:04

And it's a fantastic shopping place too!

Please
or

Startuplife · 10/04/2022 19:28

We’ve just got back from Porto and to be honest the hills would put me off from going back and I’m only 30 and reasonably fit! However, Uber’s are extremely cheap so we tended to use those for going out to dinner in the evenings.

We stayed at the bottom of the hill at the Eurostars Porto Douro which was fantastic. The riverfront is right there and lots of lovely restaurants along there. You can also easily walk across the bridge to the other side where all the wineries are.

I will also say that on the days it was sunny, we absolutely loved sitting outside restaurants people watching but on the couple of days it rained (and apparently it does quite a lot in Porto) it was pretty miserable. If we did ever go back I’d definitely do it during the summer months.

Please
or

Pegasussnail · 10/04/2022 19:30

I went many years ago and loved the red bus tour and the port tours. Beautiful place. I stated in a youth hostel so can't help anymore but wish you a lovely time

Please
or

Startuplife · 10/04/2022 19:34

A couple of top tips -
Muu Steakhouse - the absolute best meal we’ve ever had, incredible service and food and reasonably priced
Graham’s port tour and tasting - worth the hike (or taxi) up the hill
World of Wines has a fab rooftop terrace that serves brunch. Sadly we only found it on our last day after we’d eaten but had a mimosa, beer and chips for only £9
The cable car is a fun activity and a quick way to getting up to the top of the hill
There’s also a boat that will take you across the river for 3 euro which we did on our last day when our legs were extremely tired

This week the funicular was shut the whole time we were there which was a shame as if it was I open, getting up the hill to a lot of the restaurants would have been a lot easier

Please
or

Greatoutdoors · 10/04/2022 19:37

You can use the furnicular (sp?) to get up the hill, or if you aren’t in the right area, taxis are cheap. Take a tour of the port houses over the river. They are fab. The main bars are on two streets (I can’t remember the name) - there’s a really cool bar with loads of quirky artefacts and a chandelier made of trombones.
If you like seafood there is a street near the beach where they cook fresh fish on bbqs outside the restaurants- it smells amazing and the food is lush.
The shopping is fab - loads of little independent shops. The beach is nice too.
We loved Porto so much

Please
or

Georgyporky · 12/04/2022 18:57

Thanks for all your replies, really useful info.
We haven't quite decided on which hotel yet.
Correction, I've decided but need to convince DH I'm right!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?