Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mexico...where and when to go?

6 replies

Evanted76 · 06/04/2022 11:06

Looking for some advice on booking a holiday to Mexico for 2023.
It's an extra special holiday as its our silver wedding anniversary plus joint 50th birthday for me and DH.

We love Mexican food, nice beaches, luxury hotels. Whilst DH can't sit still on holiday and loves going out and about on day/boat trips exploring ancient ruins and having a taste of the culture of wherever we are. So we are looking for the best of both worlds.

We can book anytime in 2023 except Easter or Xmas time.

Recommendations please!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Mumblechum0 · 06/04/2022 11:10

A friend just came back from Tulum. Photos look good, 5 star resort with beautiful beaches, day trips to Mayan ruins. She went business class as itโ€™s a long way

Please
or

Evanted76 · 06/04/2022 15:10

Thank you. I'll have a look. We've flown to New Zealand economy class so i think we will be able to manage economy to Mexico! ๐Ÿ˜

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 06/04/2022 15:22

I would go there between December and March/April. May to October is the wet season and hurricane season runs between June and November.

I would also monitor the situation with regards to the amount of sargassum seaweed that washes up along Cancun and the Riviera Maya. Seaweed in Cancun can arrive throughout the year as a result of the movement of currents in the Sargasso Sea, but its presence is greater in the warmer months between March, April, May, and June. This is due to the formation of sargassum and the constant movement of the same increased by changes in the sea caused by global warming and pollution of the oceans, causing the macroalgae to arrive in large quantities.

Please
or

Gowithme · 06/04/2022 15:27

When are you going? Sargassum is often a big problem starting soon and going on all summer along the whole coast Cancun/Tulum. If you go in our winter you'd probably be ok - but read up!! Tulum area is fab if you can avoid the sargassum otherwise it's a stinking nightmare. Chichen Itza is amazing and the ruins in Tulum are very nice, the cenotes are fab. Akumal is a very nice beach and there are turtles there - but again read up on sargassum at certain times of year. It's very, very easy to get around by bus or taxi to anywhere. One of the islands just off Cancun doesn't suffer with sargassam hardly at all because of the way the beaches face - not sure if it's cozumel, mujeres or possibly both - but haven't been to either. Holbox island is a lovely possibilty, further north and I think also suffers less - stunning beaches there, definitely worth checking out.

I can't advise you on 5 star hotels though as we're more hostel people!

Please
or

loopsngeorge · 07/04/2022 09:36

Riviera maya is a great destination for getting out and about and doing things, or at least it was when we last went about 20 years ago! We just got the local bus up and down the coast and then joined a trip to chichen itza. We are going this summer but staying at the Hard Rock RM as we have teenagers with us. If it had just been us I would have gone for the Akumal Bay wellness resort which is a luxury hotel but much more low key and focuses more on paddle boarding, snorkeling etc. It is on a great beach near to Tulum which is beautiful.

Please
or

allfurcoatnoknickers · 07/04/2022 17:03

@loopsngeorge Came here to say Riviera Maya! It's beautiful, loads to do and easy to get out and about. We love the Paradisus, but if I were really, really going to push the boat out, I'd stay at the Rosewood Mayakoba.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?