Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Help please! Flying tomorrow. How can I prove my 13yo is vaccinated?

6 replies

HollyDayDream · 05/04/2022 09:17

We're in Scotland and flying from Edinburgh. I hadn't realised (very disorganised!) that under 16yos can't get their vacinnation record on the app. The website says to call a number, which I did, but it can take up to 14 days for the paper document to be sent out.

My doctor surgery kindly obliged to print something out to show 13yo has been vaccinated. But it's basically just an A4 piece of paper with the 2 vaccinations and dates then my 13yo's name and date of birth in the header. No doctor surgery or stamp so doesn't look official and I don't think would be accepted by airport staff.

I think now my only option is to get a test done? Entry requirements say they either need proof of vaccination OR PCR done within 72 hours OR Rapid Antigen Test done within 48 hours.

I've obviously left it too late to get one of the postal tests sorted. I've had a look at the Edinburgh airport options and don't know which one to get. The two same day options from Randox there are: Express RC PCR test with results in 1-3 hours for £80 or lateral flow test with results within 60 minutes for £35.

I wasn't sure if the cheaper one is considered the same as a rapid antigen test, but when i go to make a mock booking, it calls itself 'pre-departure rapid antigen test' rather than lateral flow, so I think that's okay.

Can anyone advise? Should I book one of these tests for my 13yo and just leave a few hours earlier tomorrow to accommodate it? Or is there any other way I can prove she is vaccinated? I hate still having to waste money on these tests even though we're up to date with our jags!

Thank you so much.

OP posts:
Please
or

Bramshott · 05/04/2022 10:11

When did you check the app? I think they've now changed it so anyone over 13 can use it (although we're in England so it may be different in Scotland). Certainly DD(14) was able to register for the app and generate the relevant QR code with no problems.

Please
or

HollyDayDream · 05/04/2022 10:21

Thanks, yes, annoyingly Scotland is behind as usual and you still need to be 16 or over for the app.

I have booked the cheaper rapid antigen test tomorrow lunchtime at the airport as we fly late afternoon. Just hope that's the right one. So annoyed I'm still having to pay out for these tests despite all being vaccinated.

OP posts:
Please
or

Bramshott · 05/04/2022 11:01

Oh how frustrating for you!

Please
or

RelentlessStress · 05/04/2022 18:05

Fingers crossed for you 🤞Can you possibly let us know how you get on? I am really keen to hear how these things work in practice! And am rooting for you.

Please
or

HollyDayDream · 09/04/2022 06:05

Hi just a quick update in case it helps others.

So, it turns out that we could still get proof of Covid vaccinations for 13yo from NHS Scotland Inform website by creating a log in (you need to know exact date of one of the vaccines for this). It’s just the actual app you currently need to be 16+ for. So we could print it out from the website.

However, an additional complication I realised was that 13yo goes by a different surname in day to day life (including healthcare) than what’s on the passport. So I was worried it wouldn’t be accepted as surname didn’t match the passport.

So we went ahead and got the £35 rapid antigen test at Edinburgh airport before we flew out.

Anyway, arrived and they didn’t even check. Security abroad just asked for passports. Didn’t want the passenger locator forms or proof of vaccination.

OP posts:
Please
or

RelentlessStress · 09/04/2022 07:45

Phew! Really glad you got it sorted. I think a similar thing will apply to us - I’ve heard that in England you can’t get the app if you’re under 13, but you can still get online proof like you did 👍

Btw where were you flying to?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?