Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Family holiday to Egypt: dangerous?

18 replies

sharksarecool · 04/04/2022 23:33

I'm planning a big trip with family. Its been on hold for 2 years becsuse of covid, but finally planning to do it this summer. I've been looking at a trip to Egypt: pyramids, river nile various temples, quiet beach somewhere. But looking at the FCO advice, I'm getting cold feet. Has anyone travelled to Egypt with family recently, excluding resorts of Sharm and Hurghada?

OP posts:
Please
or

Trampitt · 04/04/2022 23:34

Holidays are not something to be brave about.

Please
or

Ted27 · 04/04/2022 23:38

Which part of the travel advice concerns you ?

Please
or

sharksarecool · 04/04/2022 23:49

The section about terrorism concerns me, as it says the risk is very high. But then it also lists the terrorism risk in USA as very high, and I probably wouldn't think twice about going on holiday there

OP posts:
Please
or

Ted27 · 04/04/2022 23:56

Thats my point.

The terrorism threat level for the UK is also high, same as pretty much every country in Europe.

I've been to Egypt twice on my own, I now have a teenage son, its high on our list for next year

Please
or

sharksarecool · 04/04/2022 23:59

Ive also been on my own, but many years ago - about 1999 I think! So quite a lot has changed sincw then anf many of the things i did are off the table now.

OP posts:
Please
or

Shabtipup · 05/04/2022 00:17

We went to Egypt as a family when I was 5 and sister was a teenager. A man approached my dad and asked (in complete seriousness) "how much for both of them?" As if my dad was gonna sell us off!! I'm glad he didn't!! Anyway didn't really answer the question but just be wary if you go with kids

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 05/04/2022 00:30

It’s fine. Was there for work recently. It’s just the bit up by the Syrian border you can’t go to. Security threat level hasn’t changed in years.

Please
or

tiredtiredtiredd · 05/04/2022 00:33

I went to Egypt in December, been several times. My parents go 6 times a year. People are so friendly! Security is good, checkpoints on road etc. I was wary before I had been the first time but I honestly couldn't have felt safer.

We travelled on the local buses and went into "the old town" etc.

Can't wait to go back Smile. Don't hesitate, you will love it.

Please
or

Esspee · 05/04/2022 00:33

I have been to Egypt on many occasions. (probably about ten times) due to my interest in Archaeology. Last visit was in March 2020 when Covid first struck. We were prevented from disembarking from our Nile Cruise by an armed guard and found that rather scary as nobody was explaining the situation and we were supposed to be returning to the U.K. the next day. One cruise ship in Luxor was surrounded by armed guards and had people in hazmat suits on it as they had ill passengers.
After a whole day we were allowed off and caught our flight to Manchester not knowing what kind of reception we would receive this end. Needless to say there wasn’t even a poster mentioning Covid.

As for terrorism, there have been a number of incidents where tourists have been gunned down in terrorist attacks so the government have armed tourist police at the popular sites. The Nile Cruise ships have plain clothes police on board and years ago the ships had an artillery field gun loaded onto the boat before departure. On my last visit I didn’t notice any field guns but there were certainly army at the Valley of the Kings and other sites and security in hotels etc.
There haven’t been any incidents involving tourists for many years as far as I am aware.
Under no circumstances would I visit Egypt in the summer. November to March are the best months. You might need a light jacket or cardigan at night around Dec/Jan but during the day the temperature is bearable. It the summer it is much too hot for walking.

Please
or

sharksarecool · 05/04/2022 09:02

Thanks for advice. Summer is the only time we can go, unfortunately. So we will just have to brave the heat.

I'm reassured that people have been recently. @tired Did you travel with children? Mine are early teens

OP posts:
Please
or

ChimChimeny · 05/04/2022 09:16

I've been twice (last time was over 10 years ago) so not related to current threat level but I ended up with horrendous food poisoning both times as did loads of other people which has put me off ever going back

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 05/04/2022 09:57

The UK level is "substantial" which is the 4th of levels and I bet you're not going about your daily life worrying about a terrorist attack! www.gov.uk/terrorism-national-emergency

Please
or

Georgyporky · 05/04/2022 11:29

Just returned from a trip to Cairo, Luxor, Nile & Nasser cruises.
Many Police checkpoints everywhere we travelled.
High security at the 4 airports we used
Discreet armed presence on the Nile cruise, open security guard with us on Lake Nasser.
Never felt safer.

Please
or

Georgyporky · 05/04/2022 11:30

P.S. Enjoy !

Please
or

Septimius · 05/04/2022 13:00

I’d be concerned about food hygiene, general hassle and petty crime as well as terrorism targeting tourists. Its not a huge risk but if you want a holiday with beaches and history there are safer destinations.

Please
or

Chemenger · 05/04/2022 14:13

@Luredbyapomegranate

It’s fine. Was there for work recently. It’s just the bit up by the Syrian border you can’t go to. Security threat level hasn’t changed in years.

Egypt doesn't have a border with Syria.
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 05/04/2022 19:21

@Septimius

I’d be concerned about food hygiene, general hassle and petty crime as well as terrorism targeting tourists. Its not a huge risk but if you want a holiday with beaches and history there are safer destinations.

This. There's a reason (quite a few reasons actually) why Egypt is so cheap. You pay your money and take your chance. Or pay a little more and go somewhere where you don't have to worry about your flight being blown up or tourists being gunned down while sightseeing.
Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 07/04/2022 08:49

I wouldn’t be particularly concerned about terrorism but I would be worried about being hassled, pickpocketed, the heat (unbearable for me in September) and food hygiene

I had a poorly tum at the airport coming back and the whole journey was horrid. I did like Egypt despite the above tho! I wouldn’t take young kids but teens is ok.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?