Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Would any Italian speakers like to translate a few phrases for me please?

9 replies

shadypines · 03/04/2022 21:27

Hi, I'd be grateful for a translation of the following:-

1. This is my family.
  2. This is my son. He has a severe nut allergy. He could have a severe allergic reaction.
  3. Is this nut free?
  4. Does this contain any nuts or nut traces?
  5. Is this safe for a person with a nut allergy?

Thank you.
OP posts:
Please
or

Cisforcamel · 03/04/2022 21:29

Why don’t you just use Google translate?

Please
or

ellieb0bs · 03/04/2022 21:29

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/984037297

I can't help translate, but i find cards like this very useful for my son's allergies when travelling . Have a lovely trip!

Please
or

JayAlfredPrufrock · 03/04/2022 21:30

Google translate is fab. Found me the disabled toilets.

Please
or

PutinIsAWarCriminal · 03/04/2022 21:33

@ellieb0bsElli's cards are a brilliant idea. There is no room for error and nothing will get lost in translation.

Please
or

PAFMO · 04/04/2022 06:32

@shadypines

Hi, I'd be grateful for a translation of the following:-

1) This is my family.
2) This is my son. He has a severe nut allergy. He could have a severe allergic reaction.
3) Is this nut free?
4) Does this contain any nuts or nut traces?
5) Is this safe for a person with a nut allergy?

Thank you.

1. Questa e' la mia famiglia

2. Questo e' il mio figlio. E' allergico in forma grave agli arachidi e soffre di anafilassi se venga in contatto
3 and 4 The word "nut" in Italian needs to be clarified- nuts in general is "frutta secca" but includes things like raisins. Frutta di guscio is nuts in shells (generic)
Noci- walnuts
Arachidi- peanuts
Nocciole- hazelnuts
Etc.
"Contiene arachidi?" Does this contain peanuts
"Ci sono tracce di arachidi?" Could there be traces of peanuts?
5. "Puo' mangiare questo se sia allergico a insert name of but?

Italians are hot on allergies. Children are routinely screened for any and all, serious and not. My niece at the age of 7 could recite precisely which leaves of which plants she was allergic to. Being allergy tested for even minor things is a big thing. So you can be assured that nobody will bat an eyelid about a peanut allergy. They will probably tell you that no, product X contains no nuts as legally they would have been obliged to keep it in a separate area and signpost it. (at the moment here it's broad bean season and my local supermarket has a huge sign on the door saying "warning we have broad beans inside" followed by another just near the veg saying "you are now two metres away from where broad beans are displayed"

Any product you buy that's pre-packaged will be labelled according to EU law. I've just checked my sliced bread, it says it might contain traces of nuts in shells, milk, egg and soia which can cause reactions in people who are allergic.
Please
or

shadypines · 04/04/2022 09:49

Thanks everyone for all your input! @ PAFMO , yes I was confused about the frutta secca as one of my books said this and in another it says 'le noci'. Obviously I wanted to use the best translation for these circumstances which is why I wanted to ask an Italian speaker rather than just Google translate. Thank you for the extra info.

OP posts:
Please
or

PAFMO · 04/04/2022 09:50

@shadypines

Thanks everyone for all your input! @ PAFMO , yes I was confused about the frutta secca as one of my books said this and in another it says 'le noci'. Obviously I wanted to use the best translation for these circumstances which is why I wanted to ask an Italian speaker rather than just Google translate. Thank you for the extra info.

No worries, it used to confuse the hell out of me. People going on about the frutta secca and me going "d'oh, it's a nut!" Grin
Please
or

user1471523870 · 04/04/2022 10:08

1. This is my family. Questa e' la mia famiglia.
  2. This is my son. He has a severe nut allergy. He could have a severe allergic reaction. Questo e' mio figlio. Ha un'allergia severa alla frutta secca/in guscio.Potrebbe avere una severa reazione allergica.
  3. Is this nut free? Contiene frutta secca/in guscio?
  4. Does this contain any nuts or nut traces? Contiene frutta secca/in guscio o ne contiene traccie?
  5. Is this safe for a person with a nut allergy? Puo' essere mangiato da qualcuno con allergia alla frutta secca/in guscio?
Please
or

shadypines · 04/04/2022 11:30

Thank you user1471...I am going to be making notes Smile

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?