Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

USA trip in two weeks and positive for Covid

5 replies

Saltyoledog · 30/03/2022 16:00

We travel to NYC two weeks today.
Yesterday I tested positive on lateral flow. If I can avoid passing it on to the 3 other adults in the house that are traveling I should be ok to go.
We need to all pass a supervised LFT the day before we travel.

If not, we are traveling with BA who it seems we can get a holiday voucher from but I’d rather claim on my travel insurance and get the money back.

Will travel insurance pay out if they know BA will give a voucher?
I expect I’ll have to provide a PCR result to claim from either. Would I be better to hang on and hope I test negative the day before? BA T &Cs say you have to provide evidence of a positive PCR to them within 48 hours of the test in order to get a voucher.

I’m so confused- covid brain isn’t helping, what should I do for the best? Cancel now or hang on and hope? Get a PCR or wait and see if anyone else goes down with it?

OP posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Notdoingthis · 30/03/2022 16:36

It sounds like if the others get it you would be cancelling your trip so you will need pcrs to cancel. So you may as well get a pcr today while they are free? Then you will get a recovery certificate on the app too after 11 days, if you do get to fly. Sorry you are in this position and hope you feel ok.

Please
or
to access all these features

Saltyoledog · 30/03/2022 16:50

Thanks we are in wales so don’t have the NHS App, will my details still update in time?

OP posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

HundredMilesAnHour · 30/03/2022 17:59

@Saltyoledog

Thanks we are in wales so don’t have the NHS App, will my details still update in time?

The NHS app recovery certificate alone isn't sufficient for US travel so I wouldn't worry about it for this trip. You also need a doctor's signed letter (which you won't get on the NHS). But it is worth doing a PCR so you have evidence for future trips if needed.

I'd suggest you call your travel insurer now and talk to them. None of us can advise you since we don't know the specifics of your policy.
Please
or
to access all these features

Silkierabbit · 01/04/2022 05:53

You will need to check terms and conditions of your insurer, call them but with our travel insurance for 2020 if we had a voucher (even one could not use) they would not pay out. They actually paid out nothing and £6k spent. I just had to keep on and on for refunds and took a year of trying and eventually got £5.5k back but would never use Insure and Go again but had little choice in insurer as doing hospital tests. I have a voucher for the other £500 from AirAsia but we are still banned from the country so that is lost though it could have been much worse.

Though hopefully if you can keep your family covid free you may well test negative by then. I would check travel insurance situation then decide what to do and maybe monitor for covid.

Please
or
to access all these features

EasterIssland · 01/04/2022 06:00

I’ve requested a voucher for ba even if I didn’t have the virus. This was summer 2021 a friend decided not to fly last minute and she also requested it. As long as you do it before the Flight I don’t think you need to proof you’ve got the virus for the vouched

Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?