Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

US J1 Visa - evidence of intent to return home

5 replies

Smashedavacado · 29/03/2022 21:48

Would welcome any experience/knowledge.
DS applying for J1 to travel to US to work at a summer camp.
How can he prove "intent to return home" at visa interview? He plans to book onward flight to Costa Rica to continue travelling but obviously won't be booking flights before visa application.
He graduated last year so no studies or other commitments to return home to.
Is this usually an issue at visa interviews?

OP posts:
Please
or

BookwormButNoTime · 30/03/2022 05:35

Yes, it can be an issue at visa interviews for this sort of visa. They are looking for proof that they will leave the USA at the end of the summer and to do this you need to provide proof or a reason.

In the absence of any proof to come back to the U.K., I would get him to book his flights to Costa Rica before his visa interview. Usually a booked return ticket to the U.K. would scrape you through.

Other things I have seen used are wedding invitations to close family members, letters from significant others (partners), registration with a recruitment agency, a rental or mortgage agreement, registration on a course of further study, a car leasing schedule / repayment plan.

If he has absolutely nothing to tie him to the U.K. then he will need to evidence his trip to Costa Rica.

I have worked at summer camps for five seasons. I was asked for my proof of return four times out of five. He might get lucky and not asked but I wouldn’t risk it.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 30/03/2022 05:53

Post this on the Craicnet board.

Legions of Irish students do J1 visa stints in the US every summer.

Please
or

Smashedavacado · 30/03/2022 19:50

BookWormButNoTime thank you. It's an idea about that flight though he's not being committed to a departure point in US or a fixed day. No specific plans for post camp traveling in US yet.
He does freelance video production (which is what he will be doing at the camp) so I wonder if he can talk that up - plans to build company when he gets back. It's a bit weak maybe but apart from a student loan he has no further commitments here! The world is his oyster apparently Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

Smashedavacado · 30/03/2022 19:55

mathanxiety great advice I will take a look.
I know it's really up to my DS but he is so laid back & doesn't get why US wouldn't welcome him with open arms!

OP posts:
Please
or

BookwormButNoTime · 03/04/2022 17:20

@Smashedavacado I also used to work for one of the big US summer camp agencies. He is EXACTLY the sort of candidate that the embassy will be keeping an eye out for. Freelance. No ties. The world may well be his oyster but he only has a limited time in the US part of this world.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?