Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Gran Canaria

15 replies

Peanutgurgle · 28/03/2022 22:57

I just want some reassurance. Heading to Gran Canaria with our children. DS is 12 but will only just have had his second vaccination. Am I right that he just needs PCR within 72hrs of arrival? DH and I need to do a Lat flow within 24hrs or arrival (we are both double vaccinated). Is this all correct?

OP posts:
Please
or

Alysskea · 28/03/2022 23:01

Where did you get the idea that adults have to take a lateral flow when you arrive? Is that specific to your hotel? You're all good with being double vaccinated you won't need to do anything else, then for children just make sure you take the PCR within 72 hours

Please
or

dementedpixie · 28/03/2022 23:02

Will your ds be 14 days on from his 2nd vaccine? If so he wouldn't need to test. If any of you have to test its prior to departure. If you and your dh are fully vaccinated you dont need to test (depends when 2nd dose was)

Please
or

LaSevillana · 30/03/2022 18:31

It depends on your nationality. Are you or you partner EU citizens? If so, you can take an antigen test within 24 hours of your arrival in Spain. If you are both British, you cannot travel to Spain unless you can show a Covid recovery certificate. A test will not be accepted.

Please
or

LaSevillana · 30/03/2022 18:35

@Alysskea

Where did you get the idea that adults have to take a lateral flow when you arrive? Is that specific to your hotel? You're all good with being double vaccinated you won't need to do anything else, then for children just make sure you take the PCR within 72 hours

This is inaccurate.

You cannot travel to Spain for tourism purposes as a UK citizen unless you are fully vaccinated, and fully vaccinated means double jabbed with the last jab within 270 days. As OP is talking about doing a test, it seem as though their last jabs were too long ago. In this case, you either need a booster or proof of recovery from covid.
Please
or

Roselilly36 · 30/03/2022 18:40

I thought Spain had relaxed the laws? I know they are still tracking Covid etc. Check the latest guidance on gov. Of course it’s subject to change, if cases/hospitalisations rise.

Please
or

LaSevillana · 30/03/2022 18:46

@Roselilly36

I thought Spain had relaxed the laws? I know they are still tracking Covid etc. Check the latest guidance on gov. Of course it’s subject to change, if cases/hospitalisations rise.

Where did you hear that? GOV.UK says British citizens need a booster after 270 days or a covid recovery cert.
Please
or

Peanutgurgle · 30/03/2022 19:35

I’m more confused than when I started. DH and I are double jabbed. DS has only just had his second jab so it appears to me that he needs a PCR as he is between 12-17yrs. It also indicated on the Gran Canaria website that DH and I need a lat flow to enter despite being double jabbed. We are all from the UK. I was hoping someone who had recently travelled there would be able to clarify. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Peanutgurgle · 30/03/2022 19:38

1. 3. IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING FROM THIRD COUNTRIES AND YOU ARE NOT EU CITIZEN

Contenido
Passengers must meet the following requirements:

Control form. We recommend completing the form digitally, including all of the necessary documents in order to speed up airport checks (fast control). If you are travelling on a cruise ship, this is the form you need to complete.
Certificate of full vaccination against COVID-19. Accompanying persons under the age of 12 are exempt. Residents of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland travelling directly from their country must arrive in Spain with a vaccination certificate or a Certificate of recovery.
Passengers aged between 12 and 17 must have a negative PCR test taken a maximum of 72 hours before arrival.
In addition, a Diagnostic Test of Active COVID-19 Infection will be required regardless of vaccination status or prior infection, for third countries at high risk only. Antigen tests taken a maximum of 24 hours before arrival in Spain and NAAT tests (PCR, TMA, LAMP) taken a maximum of 72 hours before arrival in Spain will be accepted. You can check whether your country is a risk country here.
Third countries not considered risk countries are excluded from this rule. Their citizens may enter on the same terms of access as those for risk countries of the EU and Schengen (see point 1.1). Check here.
Gran Canaria
OP posts:
Please
or

Lykia · 30/03/2022 21:54

Was yours and dh's second jab within 27O days? Is your 12 year doc's second jab within 14 days?

Spain's rules from .gov.uk website

Please
or

LaSevillana · 30/03/2022 22:31

@Peanutgurgle

I’m more confused than when I started. DH and I are double jabbed. DS has only just had his second jab so it appears to me that he needs a PCR as he is between 12-17yrs. It also indicated on the Gran Canaria website that DH and I need a lat flow to enter despite being double jabbed. We are all from the UK. I was hoping someone who had recently travelled there would be able to clarify. Thank you

I'm not sure what's so confusing. GOV UK sets out the rules for people travelling from the UK. Unless you give an answer regarding how far past your second jab you are, nobody here can really help you, because it all depends on that.

I am in the Canaries right now. I needed to have my booster because 270 days had already passed since my second jab (I had it in May). Without the booster I'd have needed a covid recovery certificate. Do you have that? If not, you will not be allowed entry.

The 12-year-old will need to have a PCR within 72 hours of arrival in Spain unless he's over 14 days post second jab.
Please
or

Peanutgurgle · 30/03/2022 22:40

I was confused by the different responses as to what we did/didn’t need to do LaSevillana. My husband and I are both vaccinated within the specified time but the Canary Islands website seems to suggest that we also need lateral flows within 24hrs prior to arriving as we are travelling from the UK. My son will need the PCR within 72hrs prior to arrival in Gran Canaria. Anyhoo, I think we have belts and braced it. I was just seeking clarification. You might not find it confusing but I do and wanted to be sure we hadn’t missed anything. Thanks all.

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 30/03/2022 22:46

We are a risk country not a High risk country so I don't think you need to test if your 2nd dose was within the rime limit

Please
or

dementedpixie · 30/03/2022 22:47

Time limit(

Please
or

dementedpixie · 30/03/2022 22:52

From the link your page Links to:

No high risk countries so you don't need proof of vaccine plus a test

Gran Canaria
Please
or

LaSevillana · 30/03/2022 23:17

@Peanutgurgle

I was confused by the different responses as to what we did/didn’t need to do LaSevillana. My husband and I are both vaccinated within the specified time but the Canary Islands website seems to suggest that we also need lateral flows within 24hrs prior to arriving as we are travelling from the UK. My son will need the PCR within 72hrs prior to arrival in Gran Canaria. Anyhoo, I think we have belts and braced it. I was just seeking clarification. You might not find it confusing but I do and wanted to be sure we hadn’t missed anything. Thanks all.

The UK isn't a high risk country so you don't need tests as long as 270 days haven't passed since your last jab. The GOV UK info is much clearer than the Spanish gov info so I'd go with that - it's generally very reliable and is updated whenever changes are made to travel rules.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?