Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to holiday in January?

23 replies

tommyspud · 23/03/2022 22:28

Hi
I’m just after a bit of advice. We’re planning a short break at the beginning of January, myself, DH and 3 children, ages 12,8 and 3. Ideally we’d like some sunshine and access to pools/ water parks and activities for the children. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

PingPages · 24/03/2022 00:36

I’m always crap at knowing these things but I would have a thorough google for the best weather in January.. hopefully this bumps the thread anyway!

Please
or

superram · 24/03/2022 03:01

Not even the canaries would be warm enough for me so I’d have to go long haul. I don’t go to Dubai (because I have principles) but it would be warm.

Please
or

Weesiewoo · 24/03/2022 03:03

Thailand or Malaysia.

Please
or

Weesiewoo · 24/03/2022 03:13

Woops. Short haul? Not Thailand or Malaysia.

Please
or

TheWestIsTheBest · 24/03/2022 04:39

I don't think anywhere short haul from the UK will be swimming weather in January.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 24/03/2022 06:30

Canaries could be warm, and if you're going for a short break, you probably don't want to go any further. We've been a few times in December/January/February and it's never rained and the weather has mostly been something between high teens and quite cloudy up to high 20s hot and sunny. You want to be in the south of one of the islands to have the best chance of nice weather.

The sea's not warm, granted but if you look for accommodation with a heated pool, it'll be grand and there's usually stuff to do if it's not lazing in the sun weather.

If you're planning to go at that time of year, you want to be there on the evening of the 5th January and go to the Kings Parade, which is like Christmas Eve in Spain and the Three Kings on camels will lead a procession through the streets of the main towns, throwing sweets out to the crowd, so will be great for your younger two at least.

Please
or

tommyspud · 24/03/2022 06:51

Thanks all! I’ll look into the suggestions above Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 24/03/2022 06:54

Flight time to Egypt from London is around 5 hours and there’s not a lot of time difference, so it’s easy on your body for a shortish break. Jungle Aqua Park had heated pools.

Please
or

mummyh2016 · 24/03/2022 07:13

We've been to Egypt in January before, wasn't boiling but was sunbathing weather and pretty sure we went in the pool.

Please
or

mummyh2016 · 24/03/2022 07:14

I've also been to Mexico in February which was loads better but may be too far for you.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 24/03/2022 07:30

How long do you have OP? When are the kids due back at school - that could narrow down the options.

Please
or

cruciallyfree · 24/03/2022 08:19

Marrakesh may be warm then. And a short flight.
The souks aren't kid friendly though and an acquired taste but it's a good destination for some sun if you just want to flop about round the pool.

Please
or

TruffleShuffles · 24/03/2022 12:04

We’ve done Egypt a couple of times in January and had good sunbathing weather but I wouldn’t have gone anywhere near the pool. We’ve also done Mexico, Thailand and Dominican Republic in January for a week each and had much better weather. It’s obviously a much longer flight but didn’t bother us.

Please
or

DogsAndGin · 24/03/2022 12:35

Barbados / Florida

Please
or

tommyspud · 24/03/2022 12:42

They are back in late this year, 10th January but we’re at a wedding on the 30th December so we’re restricted to a week really.
I wondered about Florida and doing the parks etc when it’s not boiling but I’ve googled the average temperature and it’s saying 15c so I thought that might be too cold for the pool?

OP posts:
Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 24/03/2022 12:48

Middle East guaranteed warm enough - 7 hours flight though

Please
or

Chewbecca · 24/03/2022 12:49

Florida is much warmer than 15 in January for sure. It's a 9 ish hr flight. I always recommend Barbados because it's the first Caribbean island you get to at around 7hrs so feels fairly quick. And the weather is perfect in Jan and there is plenty to do there, though not Florida style! Stay west coast.

Please
or

tommyspud · 24/03/2022 13:02

Thanks @Chewbecca
What stuff would you recommend in Barbados?

OP posts:
Please
or

Chewbecca · 24/03/2022 13:30

Submarine ride, wildlife park, plantation tour, caves, museums in Bridgetown, jeep tours. As well as beaches!

Please
or

NeedleNoodle3 · 24/03/2022 13:35

Caribbean or Mexico. Dominican Republic flight time isn’t too bad.

Please
or

forressttheouut · 24/03/2022 14:14

East Africa is hot that time of year with some beautiful beaches, its not short hall as its 8 hours direct to Nairobi and then a short hop to either the Kenyan or Tanzanian coast but its only a 3 hour time difference so you don't get the jet lag you would flying to the US. How old are the kids? I would do it with older kids as you could do a mini safari on the way to the beach but it would probably be to much for little ones

Please
or

underneaththeash · 24/03/2022 16:41

Florida can be chilly at that time of year - we had to buy a coat once. It's not warm. enough for water parks (if they're open). Weather can be iffy in Mexico too then.

I'd recommend Antigua, it tends to be less cloudy than Barbados at that time of year and the last time we went we went to Swash water park, the zip wires and the sting ray city - all lots of fun.

The issue you're going to have is that it's really expensive over new year, so you might need to wait til the 1st, but you really need a couple of days when you get back to get over the jet lag..

Please
or

Soffit · 24/03/2022 17:19

Jordan is just right in January.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?