Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Norway in August - weather

12 replies

Justwingingit2005 · 23/03/2022 10:42

We are off to Norway in August.
Whats the weather like?

OP posts:
Please
or

LadyLadyBirds · 23/03/2022 10:50

We've been in August and had 28 degrees and sunny in Bergen. We've also had it snow on us in Olden. Where are you going?

Please
or

Justwingingit2005 · 23/03/2022 11:34

We are off to Bergen and Stavanger.

Did you enjoy Bergen?

OP posts:
Please
or

Rachie20 · 23/03/2022 11:42

We had torrential rain in Bergen in August 2020. Lovely city though and great sushi at a place called Namasushi.

Please
or

LadyLadyBirds · 23/03/2022 14:49

Bergen want my favourite, it felt just like a big town, the kids loved the ice creams though, rolled in various toppings!

Stavanger is nice though, I've been there a few times and always find something new!

Are you cruising?

Please
or

LadyLadyBirds · 23/03/2022 14:50

*wasnt

Please
or

Soffit · 23/03/2022 15:01

It will probably be fine in Bergen. August is always temperamental compared to June or July. I loved Bergen but only used it as a start of my own version of Norway In A Nutshell. The hotel in Bergen was gorgeous and had free DIY waffles and jam every afternoon! Some of the tourist groups were super grabby though, helping themselves to the whole cheeseboard and tray of rolls to make up packed lunches for themselves. Norway is expensive but hey, you are on holiday and ithey were obviously not hard up. Try the Brunost cheese - nutty, sweet and fudgy like a desert.

We loved Flam the most, really quaint. Within a few hours of leaving sunny Flam, we were in knee high snow in Myrdal and a couple of hours further on in Oslo, you would never have known it once again! Some tourists were ill equipped for such dramatic contrasts. They ended up trying to walk in deep snow wearing ballet pumps.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 23/03/2022 15:39

family live in Norway, not been yet but we have this conversation with them a lot. They are further north but say that the best time to visit is May and June when days are long and sunshine most likely. It can be cloudier in August but still ought to be reasonable. Don't necessarily expect 'warm'. It might be, but def not guaranteed.

Please
or

JimLaheysWhiskeyBottle · 23/03/2022 15:42

Well, our summer holidays are end of June to the beginning of August. It usually rains all July and as soon as we go back to school in August it’s hot and sunny!
It always feels to me very autumnal from middle of August, but I’m a bit further north.

Please
or

Silkierabbit · 23/03/2022 15:50

Very mixed and can get a fair amount of rain and pretty cool temps for summer. We had quite a few rainy days and some sunny days, maybe similar to England end September on average. July had better weather. August Bank Holiday weekend was hot at around 25C but before had a lot of days around 14C and raining. It was very scenic but incredibly expensive. We drove across from Sweden to Alesund, seeing moose on the way, very beautiful down the fjords to Flam railway etc and viking museum and back from Oslo. Prices for food eating out were crazy, never seen anything like it and double Swedish we came from and about double / treble UK prices for pretty average food, the AirBNBs were reasonable. Scenery was some of the most beautiful in the world.

Please
or

Soffit · 23/03/2022 16:06

@Silkierabbit

Very mixed and can get a fair amount of rain and pretty cool temps for summer. We had quite a few rainy days and some sunny days, maybe similar to England end September on average. July had better weather. August Bank Holiday weekend was hot at around 25C but before had a lot of days around 14C and raining. It was very scenic but incredibly expensive. We drove across from Sweden to Alesund, seeing moose on the way, very beautiful down the fjords to Flam railway etc and viking museum and back from Oslo. Prices for food eating out were crazy, never seen anything like it and double Swedish we came from and about double / treble UK prices for pretty average food, the AirBNBs were reasonable. Scenery was some of the most beautiful in the world.

I remember being served a beetroot pizza in Flam. It cost £20 and had a mixture of hard (almost uncooked) baby beet on a flaccid base and no seasoning but the chef was ever so proud of it, bless him!
Please
or

Silkierabbit · 24/03/2022 06:46

That sounds familar Soffit. I remember being so shocked by the restaurant prices we went supermarket shopping instead and outside there was a Thai noodle van at this retail park supermarket in middle of nowhere. I asked DH to get me some and was similar quality to UK service station one expecting it to be around £5 as just noodles really, asked DH and was £15. Then we drove to a very average cafe on the way round fjords enroute which had photos up of what looked like frozen food microwaved mass pictures of things like beefburger and chips and cheapest was £30. Shock Only thing that was cheap was petrol station hot dogs at £1 each but after one of those you knew why.

Please
or

tumpymummy · 03/04/2022 09:39

We went to sweden and norway in August. Weather was fine. Some rain around Bergen, but pretty similar to weather in England in August tbh. Not especially hot and sunny, but didnt stop us doing anything.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?