Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sardinia or Puglia with toddler and baby?

12 replies

Ionlion · 22/03/2022 14:51

We are thinking of going to Sardinia or Puglia for 10 days in late April/early May with a 9 month old and 3 year old. The idea is to do a bit of a road trip and spend a few days in different towns. Toddler and baby don’t mind the car and are happy on the beach/exploring different towns.

Where would be best to go this time of year and any suggested itineraries? Alternatively is there anywhere else in Italy we should consider ? Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

bassackwards · 22/03/2022 15:00

We spent a week in house near the city of Ostuni with 2 kids that were 12 & 18 months old. The city is very old and lovely although it's built on top of a hill (!) and is mostly cobbled so it was a bit of a nightmare getting around, ie we couldn't really use a buggy and it was knackering walking uphill all the time. So my only advice would be to check accessibility in advance if you're looking at places like that

Please
or

AdriannaP · 23/03/2022 08:16

IMO a road trip with children that age sounds like a nightmare. In both places you are out of season, Puglia lots of things might be closed. We went to Puglia once out of season and it wasn’t great, had to drive for ages to find open restaurants etc

At least it won’t be that hot. Consider bringing your own car seats. We hired them in Sardinia once, it was very expensive (€70 per week) and seats were old and tattered. If you are planning lots of driving I would bring yours.

Please
or

AdriannaP · 23/03/2022 08:20

Not a fan of Puglia generally, agree re Ostuni, the area around the trulli is nice and there are a few famous beaches. Sardinia has much much nicer beaches, especially in the North but less towns to explore. I would fly to Olbia rather than Cagliari and stay south and consider going to La Maddalena.

Another option could be Tuscany: you have towns (Florence, Pisa, Siena, Lucca), nice countryside and for beaches you could go to Elba (island) or Forte dei Marmi.

Please
or

AdriannaP · 23/03/2022 08:25

One last advice re car hire: do not go for the cheap companies, they will try and charge you for “damages” erc. Just read the reviews. Always go for big brand names like Hertz even if it’s more expensive. It’s a common scam for tourists.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 23/03/2022 08:28

Sardinia over Puglia with kids that age definitely. Lovely beaches.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/03/2022 18:49

I'm in Puglia. Wouldn't come here if you paid me. Grin
Go to Sardinia.
(Actually, I'd go to Lake Garda or Como)

Please
or

smooshraspberry · 23/03/2022 18:50

I found Lake Garda very child friendly

Please
or

Fleur405 · 23/03/2022 18:59

Oh puglia is not popular! I went two years ago in September. We toured around and enjoyed very much.

We went to Trani (it’s lovely for a day or so), Cisterninon where we stayed in a trullo and used it as a base for visiting various places (alberobello, matera, ostuni). Then Lecce from where we visited Otranto. Finally we stayed in a Masseria for a few days with a pool and some lovely walks through the olive groves.

However there are a lot of hilltop towns with cobbled streets snd steep steps and the beaches tend to be rocky rather than sandy so possibly not ideal for your little ones.

Have never been to Sardinia so can’t comment on that.

Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 23/03/2022 19:11

Here are some sweeping generalizations. Grin

The tourist season doesn’t start until June.

Car hire is VERY expensive compared to the UK, but with 2 small children it’s the only way you can feasibly travel.

Beaches in Puglia are sandy, well equipped and accessible. Preferably the south coast, not the Adriatic coast.
Beaches in Sardinia are often rocky, bring your own equipment and inaccessible (steps or by boat).

Puglia has a wide range of accomodation, the food is excellent and they’re happy to see you.
The coast of Sardinia has lots of self catering accomodation rented out weekly. Daily rates, not so much. Inland Sardinia is agricultural and not geared for tourists. A lot of traditional Sardinian cuisine is meat and cheese based. Asado is donkey!

I took my kids to Salento, Puglia 4 years on the trot as the beaches were wide and the sea was shallow.
But now I’m in my 50s I’d prefer Sardinia.
What about Sicily? You could watch a few Montalbano episodes to get a feel for the place.

Please
or

AmbushedByCake1 · 23/03/2022 19:16

Loved Puglia. Went when my son was 3, it worked really well as there were great Sandy beaches.

We stayed in Otranto which was is just the most beautiful little seaside town with lots of great restaurants. We went in June though and it was super hot so I think May would be better.

Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 23/03/2022 19:19

Sorry, Asado is Argentinian!
My lovely FIL was Sardinian, and I can’t remember the dialect name for donkey meat…

Please
or

AdriannaP · 23/03/2022 19:39

Asino is donkey 😝

Sicily I can recommend Cefalù, lovely sandy beach and you visit nearby Palermo, Mount Etna, etc

Lake Garda also beautiful.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?