Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Taking 7 month old abroad

8 replies

Firstbaby1234 · 21/03/2022 14:45

Me and my partner are booking a holiday to spain and my son will be 7 months old at the time.

I am stressing on what’s best to do in the airport with his formula.

Do I take some with me in my hand luggage? Do order on boots and pick up in the airport?

Can I have some ideas of what other people did? Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Lazypuppy · 21/03/2022 14:50

We just took aptamil ready made cartons/bottles, enough for the flight out in my hand luggage and rest in a suitcase

Please
or

lilahbelle · 21/03/2022 14:58

We went to Spain when DS was almost 7 months, it was actually fine!

He was on milk that didn't come premade and couldn't be made up in advance. I used one of the mam formula dispenser tubs and measured out enough for 3 feeds, then packed a full tub of formula in our hold bag. I took a small amount of cool boiled water in each bottle and an empty flask, and when we got through security I asked for the flask to be filled with boiling water at Starbucks. Then I was able to make up feeds as and when he needed it while we were travelling.

He was weaned by then so I also brought snacks for him and that got us to our hotel!

Premade cartons are easier if your formula comes in them! You aren't limited to a certain amount in hand luggage if it's for a baby.

Please
or

Qwill · 21/03/2022 15:10

It’s the best age to go! They can have a checked in bag so I packed one with readymade cartons and some of the Ella pouches in case we didn’t feel like cooking for them. We took enough for the whole week. I packed enough for two days in hand luggage in case of delays and it was fine. We’ve done this on loads of holiday and it’s been really easy.

Please
or

Firstbaby1234 · 21/03/2022 15:13

Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering how you would make the bottles up, I didn’t know you were allowed to take a flask with water in through security! My son only drinks his milk warm so the pre made cartons are good but I would still have to put them in boiling water to warm up :(

OP posts:
Please
or

lilahbelle · 21/03/2022 15:48

I took an empty flask through security and filled it airside, nothing was questioned! I think it's fine to take it full though, I just didn't want to risk it.

If you just need to warm a carton up I'd just ask for hot water in a cafe once you're through security

Please
or

Qwill · 21/03/2022 15:49

We couldn’t take any water through, but you can fill up the other side of security. They can give you hot water on the plane too for warming things.

Please
or

Qwill · 21/03/2022 15:51

We used mam bottles so you can’t dunk them in hot water. I used to give them expressed milk straight from the fridge and they didn’t bat an eyelid, although we did start that from a few weeks in. Glad we did as it made things a lot easier!

Please
or

Firstbaby1234 · 21/03/2022 16:17

Maybe I’ll try the empty flask then!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?