Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Iceland itinerary

9 replies

MegBusset · 20/03/2022 21:45

Looking at Iceland for summer 23 holiday. Probably for two weeks. Would like to see more of the country than just Reykjavik, but don't want to drive all the way round as that would be too much time in the car. Ideally would want a few days in Reykjavik and then one or two other bases where we can stay for a few nights and do some cool stuff (hiking, glaciers, whale watching would all be great).

There'll be four of us (two adults, two teens) and in general we prefer self catering accommodation with some outdoor space.

Anyone recommend an itinerary or places to stay / visit?

OP posts:
Please
or

PenguindreamsofDraco · 21/03/2022 14:40

Discover the World do good Iceland packages tailored around what you want, we travelled with them recently and booked loads of excursions through them up onto glaciers and the like.

You can fly from Reykjavik up to Akureyri, I've done that before for whale watching.

And definitely head along the south coast to Jokulsarlon, the iceberg lagoon, if you hired a jeep from Reykjavik and drove there along the coast stopping off en route e.g. in Vik, that would take a couple of days.

Please
or

lljkk · 21/03/2022 14:47

I'd plan to visit some hot lagoons near Reykavik & otherwise Akureyri is a great base for caldrons & hot sulphur springs. having done boat trip at Jokulsarlon, I wouldn't be bothered to go again. East coast fjords are pretty but too far away I suppose. I cycled 60% of way round so finding it amusing you don't want to drive. Self-catering is good idea -- expensive place!

Please
or

Amelion · 21/03/2022 15:04

Agree Akureyri is great - a short flight and you can explore the Northern Iceland coast, go whale watching etc. I would really recommend Geosea in Husavik!

Please
or

cjpark · 21/03/2022 18:57

I would do a dual centre. Look at Laugarvatn.You have easy access to all the golden circle, it has a super spa itself and there is plenty of self catering cabins in the area.I would then take a long drive North..stay some where outside of Akuryri. Skjaldarvik is lovely - we stayed with here with the family last summer. Again self catering but close enough to Aukuyri for supplies and restaurants.

Please
or

TryingItAll · 21/03/2022 20:08

We drove round the whole island but my favourite place / stay was Diamond Beach in the south. We stayed here - lambhus.is/ - but probably not want you want with teens. My second most favourite part of the holiday was in Akureyri where we stayed in an Airbnb. The weather was amazing by the way - not what you would expect!

Please
or

horseymum · 21/03/2022 20:10

Would recommend horse riding, Icelandic horses are amazing and a big part of the culture. Many places will take beginners.

Please
or

MegBusset · 21/03/2022 23:01

This all looks fabulous and so exciting! I love the log cabins. Any recommendations for accommodation in Akureyi?

OP posts:
Please
or

cjpark · 22/03/2022 16:17

Look at Skjaldarvik Op. Family run accommodation 5 miles outside Akureyi. The family breed Icelandic horses too. You can ride from the accommodation into the lake and around the hills. Its fabulous. The family are so friendly, with their 2 adorable dogs and large hot pool in the garden.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 23/03/2022 00:33

Look at Discover The World. They can organise great itineraries but not sure about self catering. Try and do a super Jeep tour. Do the Golden Ring and go to Snaefellness. Husavik for whales and the Western Fjords because it’s brilliant.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?