Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Family friendly Barcelona

7 replies

cobayo · 15/03/2022 22:31

We're hopefully off to Barcelona over Easter. Does anyone have any recommendations for family and budget friendly places to eat please? We have a ten year old. Also any recommendations of things to do that we might not have thought of? We want to see the usual Gaudi sights, the aquarium, go on the open top bus etc but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations which might not be on the usual 'things to do' in Barcelona list. Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 16/03/2022 06:18

Cosmo Caixa is excellent. The entire basement is filled with interactive exhibits and experiments. There’s also an incredible Amazon rainforest exhibit and a planetarium.
La Boqueria Market is fun to browse around, and a lot of the food is very reasonable. A great place to grab a snack or a picnic. Santa Caterina Market is also good and less crowded than La Boqueria.
There are two cable cars – one that goes around the top on Montjuic and another that goes from Montjuic down to Barceloneta beach. They both have amazing views across the city. The telferic stops at Montjuic Castle, which is also a fun place to visit with kids. If you don’t go in, you can still have a look from the outside.
The classic hedge maze at Parc del Laberint is relatively unvisited but tourists. It’s around 25 mins from central Barcelona on the tube.
Hopefully the shows at The Magic Fountain will have resumed by then. Keep your eye on this website www.barcelona.cat/en/what-to-do-in-bcn/magic-fountain

Places to eat:
Semproniana
Eyescream and Friends
El Bosc de Les Fades
There are quite a few places selling pizza by the slice in Barcelona. We love Gusto del Born, and the Les Dues Sicilies has several branches across the city.
Another quick and easy meal/snack is empanadas. La Fábrica has a few shops around the city.

Please
or

Kjr33 · 16/03/2022 06:21

There is a cable car that goes from the beach up to the mountains

Please
or

Forshorttheycallmecomp · 16/03/2022 06:23

It’s years since I’ve been to Barcelona, I really enjoyed a day trip to Montserrat (monastery in the mountains, with rack trains and spectacular walks) and, if it’s hot, the Roman street remains below basement level in one of the central museums were lovely and cool.

Please
or

CoverYourselfInChocolateGlory · 16/03/2022 06:58

The cable car is great.

My DD enjoyed the chocolate museum.

Please
or

cobayo · 16/03/2022 23:04

Thank you everyone! Some great ideas and tips there, I'll check them out. I have been to Barcelona many, many years ago in my pre-children days on a girl's trip so this time is going to be different. I can't wait! Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Verite1 · 16/03/2022 23:26

You can get the funicular up the hillside to the oldest amusement park in Europe. Rides for the kids and amazing views over the sea for the adults. My kids also loved the gaudi houses. Caso batllo had some great interactive stuff.

Please
or

Groovytiger · 17/03/2022 10:21

Also we loved the top of the big department store in place Catalunya. The food up there is amazing and you gave incredible views of the city. Also go to Hopital de Pau. The architect had a huge influence on Gaudi and their vision of making a hospital beautiful in order to make people better was just wonderful.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?