Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Paris and ?

15 replies

whataboutlove · 11/03/2022 16:32

Planning holidays for the summer. Daughters want to go to Paris, which would be nice but a lot of busy days sightseeing.

Afterwards would like to go somewhere else in France to crash by a pool for a few days, nice hotel, food etc. wondering if anyone has suggestions. I know the obvious places may be Nice or Cannes but are there any nice towns maybe closer to Paris? My idea is laze by the pool and then maybe wander out late afternoon for dinner etc. Avignon maybe?

OP posts:
Please
or

Plantstrees · 11/03/2022 16:44

I would head west to La Rochelle or Ile de Re.

Please
or

LadyLazarus40 · 11/03/2022 16:45

I was just about to say La Rochelle too!

Please
or

Mcmafia · 11/03/2022 16:46

Nice.

Please
or

abricotine · 11/03/2022 16:50

Avignon is not really closer to Paris and is more of a sightseeing place too! Some of the northern beaches are beautiful in Brittany and little seaside towns in Normandy (eg Etretat) too. Le Touquet is also very nice. If you want more reliable weather agree to head for Loire Atlantique area, Vendee if it’s a beach and sunshine only you’re after.

Please
or

whataboutlove · 11/03/2022 17:04

Thanks all. Didn't expect replies so quickly.

Yes there looks like there would be lot to see in Avignon and my husband will want us marching around to look at all things Roman Grin
Will definitely look at the Atlantic coast, Ild de Re looks lovely 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 11/03/2022 17:08

Flying, driving or train?

Sarlat in the Dordogne has plenty of hotels to choose from

Alternatively and convenient if flying: Carcassonne. There are a few hotels in the city itself (Hotel De La Cite if you are pushing the boat out as it is in the city and has a pool). There are also hotels just outside the city walls. This is one we plan to stay at when we are next in the area:

www.hotelmontmorency.com/fr/hotel-3-etoiles-carcassonne

Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 11/03/2022 17:13

Personally I found Avignon slightly disappointing but Arles has lots to offer plus more Roman ruins than you can shake a stick at in the area:

Arles has a Roman arena. Orange has a Roman theatre. There is a whole site at Glanum to explore.

Please
or

whataboutlove · 11/03/2022 17:28

[email protected] will be traveling by train.

It's the Roman Ruins I want to avoid!! The girls will go mad! Have been to Carcassone before and enjoyed it too. Kind of want a train Journey of max 3-4 hours.

OP posts:
Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 11/03/2022 18:08

Some alternatives:

Please
or

londonmummy1966 · 11/03/2022 18:18

Loire Valley - lots of nice hotels with pools and the area is flat so you could hire bikes to get around. There are some less culture vulture activities like a vineyard trip or kayaking if the children are likely to find a week by the pool too much.

Please
or

actiongirl1978 · 11/03/2022 18:19

We love Beaune

Please
or

balalake · 11/03/2022 18:38

Angouleme perhaps or Bordeaux?

Please
or

woody87 · 11/03/2022 20:02

Epernay. Fabulous champagne tours, restaurants and very relaxed vibe.

Please
or

AlisonDonut · 11/03/2022 20:09

I mean, it is France. You can pretty much stick a pin in a map and find something nice. It's why we moved here. Do you want personal recommendations of actual hotels or bites or towns? I find if you get a gite with a pool they are often a bit out of the towns where you can find the food places, so you'd possibly need a hotel with a pool in a town if you want both.

Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 11/03/2022 20:57

@actiongirl1978 we stayed there for DH's 40th birthday and also loved it.

@whataboutlove another option:

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?