Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is Rhodes good for a holiday with kids?

10 replies

BeforeGodAndAllTheFish · 11/03/2022 10:29

I'm a single parent and have never taken my kids abroad. This year we are going!

Is Rhodes good for kids? I dont just want to sit by a pool. We would like to do some stuff, maybe 3 different excursion days and then we could spend the other 4 in the water park or hotel clubs.

Has anyone been and can recommend things to do? The kids are 9 and 10.

I don't want to rent a car so are public transport and taxis good?

OP posts:
Please
or

Tashalburrows · 11/03/2022 10:34

I've just booked for Zante but was told all the greek islands were family friendly.

Single parent also who doesn't want just a week around a pool.

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 11/03/2022 10:42

Rhodes is one of my favourite places in the world.

Lindos is gorgeous, and a must-see. It's very safe, and very pretty, get's horrendously busy and crowded in high season though. This is where my single mum used to take us for holidays when I was a teenager, as it was safe and small enough to allow me some independence.

Pefkos, near Lindos, is a bit quieter abd doesn't attract as many day trippers. It has lovely beaches and is a good place to base yourself.

Faliraki was the big "party" resort. I personally wouldn't want to stay there with kids, but it's where most of the water parks are.

Rhodes Town, especially the old part, is gorgeous and good to visit. Not as "beachy" as other parts of the island though.

There are buses, though they are slow, hot and crowded (or used to be - I haven't been back in a while, maybe they've improved). There was always plenty of taxis, but the driving of them can be a little...erratic. The many roadside shrines are unnerving as you whizz past them at high speed whilst your very friendly driver turns round in his seat to chat to you!

It does get hot as hell there in the summer - Lindos particularly, as due to a quirk in its geography it's usually about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the island! I remember our first visit there was in August, and our first night we ended up swimming across St Paul's Bay at sunrise just to cool off!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time if you go. I'm "saving" Lindos for when my two are teens, so they can have a similar fun introduction to it that I did. Smile

Please
or

BeforeGodAndAllTheFish · 11/03/2022 10:58

@Tashalburrows

I've just booked for Zante but was told all the greek islands were family friendly.

Single parent also who doesn't want just a week around a pool.

It's so hard balancing having a chill out whilst also finding things to do that you can easily manage as the only adult!
I've put off going abroad for so long because I'm worried about going myself. Need to just go and do it!
OP posts:
Please
or

BeforeGodAndAllTheFish · 11/03/2022 11:05

@GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal

Rhodes is one of my favourite places in the world.

Lindos is gorgeous, and a must-see. It's very safe, and very pretty, get's horrendously busy and crowded in high season though. This is where my single mum used to take us for holidays when I was a teenager, as it was safe and small enough to allow me some independence.

Pefkos, near Lindos, is a bit quieter abd doesn't attract as many day trippers. It has lovely beaches and is a good place to base yourself.

Faliraki was the big "party" resort. I personally wouldn't want to stay there with kids, but it's where most of the water parks are.

Rhodes Town, especially the old part, is gorgeous and good to visit. Not as "beachy" as other parts of the island though.

There are buses, though they are slow, hot and crowded (or used to be - I haven't been back in a while, maybe they've improved). There was always plenty of taxis, but the driving of them can be a little...erratic. The many roadside shrines are unnerving as you whizz past them at high speed whilst your very friendly driver turns round in his seat to chat to you!

It does get hot as hell there in the summer - Lindos particularly, as due to a quirk in its geography it's usually about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the island! I remember our first visit there was in August, and our first night we ended up swimming across St Paul's Bay at sunrise just to cool off!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time if you go. I'm "saving" Lindos for when my two are teens, so they can have a similar fun introduction to it that I did. Smile

Thank you. This is so helpful. I'll be googling the locations and hotels around them all day now!
OP posts:
Please
or

Itsnotover · 11/03/2022 11:06

Rhodes Holiday village is amazing! I took my daughters there a few years ago - we had a wonderful time.

Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 11/03/2022 11:09

Agree holiday village may suit well, it's one of the best ones. It can be insanely insanely hot in summer so if you're not a fan of heat maybe avoid. London's is beautiful and you can get a bit of a breeze on the roof top restaurants.

Please
or

DPotter · 11/03/2022 11:15

Rhodes is a brilliant place for a mix of pool, beach and things to do. Very cosmopolitan - lots of different nationalities visiting and working there.

I've only ever stayed in Rhodes Town - there is a beach - not the prettiest on the island but wide and sandy. Great place to walk around with lots of lovely cafes & restaurants. Was a thing to have dinner in the evening and then go down to the harbour and have cake / pudding at one of the many cafe bars. The castle is amazing and just wandering around the harbour looking at the boats and ships can be fun for awhile.

Agree Lindos is a good trip and the Valley of the butterflies, even out of butterfly season is a great walk. There are temples just outside Rhodes town. Don't know about the waterparks, as not in to that sort of thing.

We also loved the boat trips you can take from the harbour - sailing along the coast and stopping for snorkelling, swimming etc.

I would think there'll be lots of excursions advertised in the hotel so you can avoid car hiring. A local bus trip would be fun too.

You'll have a great time!

Please
or

BeforeGodAndAllTheFish · 11/03/2022 11:18

You're all amazing. Thank you so much.

I'm hoping to go at the end if May/beginning of June. We're in Scotland so no school fines!

OP posts:
Please
or

alsopeggy · 11/03/2022 11:20

Rhodes is great. If you have a car drive to Pratonisi beach and see where the Aegean meets the Mediterranean.

Please
or

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 11/03/2022 11:20

Lovely weather at that time, should be very warm but not scorching (I remember in May seeing Greek locals in puffer jackets and boots whilst the British tourists were in swimwear and sandals - it was early 20s and bright sunshine!)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?