Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to go for 40th trip with 3 year old

5 replies

Squiffy01 · 27/02/2022 11:17

Hi all
I’m really struggling to think of an enjoyable holiday to celebrate my husbands 40th with a three year old. Middle of June open to any and all suggestions as I’m rubbish at holiday planning.

I suggested Maldives but he thinks too expensive to just be sitting by the beach for a week.

Possibly Greece do Athens for something for us then move on to a beach for some relaxing.

He has always wanted to go back to New York. I have never been but I just think New York with a 3.5 year old would be a bit rubbish, I know it could be made completely child friendly with zoos and museums but then I think we should just stay home if that’s all we are going to do and do them here for free.

He suggest Hawaii yesterday but haven’t looked into it

Not Australia or NZ as that’s where we are from

Any suggestions would be greatly received!

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 27/02/2022 13:22

I wouldn't do a long haul flight with a 3-year-old, just because it's likely to be rubbish! So that would rule out Hawaii and the Maldives for me. As for NY - not fun with a 3-year-old really. I mean, there's a great zoo in the Bronx, Central Park is lovely and there are little playgrounds all over Manhattan that your DS would enjoy, but a 3-year-old isn't going to have much fun in a city and if he's not having fun, you also won't be. Athens is great for a couple of days if you want to do some sightseeing/culture and your DS will be able to scramble about in the ruins. The trudge up to the Acropolis wouldn't be much fun with a toddler though.

Is there any chance you could leave your DS with someone and go away for a city break weekend together? That's what DH and I did for both our 40ths (Paris for him, Prague for me), and it was bliss! If the answer to that is 'Sadly, no', then I'd go for something like Majorca - Palma is a lovely city with nice sights, restaurants, city vibe, but you could stay in a nice hotel with a pool by the beach and that will allow you all to chill out and your DS to potter about and play. Puerto Pollensa is supposed to be good with small DC.

Please
or

Squiffy01 · 27/02/2022 15:59

Thanks @zafferana yeah agree about New York not being much for with a three year old but thought I was just being negative so glad others have same view.

Unfortunately no one really to leave him with as all our family is in oz.
Will look up Majorca

OP posts:
Please
or

ExhaustedMumma · 27/02/2022 16:04

What about Lisbon as a city break and then slightly up the coast for beach time? Martinhal resorts are very child friendly. I’d probably go for something like this. Barcelona also great for city and beach for a short break.

Our almost 4 year old has always been good at city breaks - but she loves to walk/run everywhere. We tend to do a mix of adult and kid focused stuff or combine the two if there are child friendly art exhibitions or outdoor parks. For a three year old that’s less keen on walking, I’d probably just opt for a more relaxing holiday that you can do the odd day trip from.

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 01/03/2022 07:57

I’d do a bit of a road trip if time allows.

Portugal - 3 days in Lisbon then 5+ on Algarve. Tavira/Alvor/Villa Moura

Spain - Granada/Cadiz/Seville/Nerja/Malaga

Italy - Milan/Lake como (the most beautiful place ever)

Croatia - Dubrovnik/Split/Islands

Or

Marrakech, stay outside Medina in a resort style hotel

Please
or

MissDynamite23 · 02/03/2022 09:06

Croatia would be brilliant to travel around with kids. We did it car free just on boats in a circuit around a few islands before we had children but I’d definitely repeat it with the family.

We are spending a month in France this year whilst on maternity/paternity leave. Euro camp and beach lodges might not be the luxury you’re looking for though!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?