Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Novice abroad ! Wanting to visit Lourdes, Barcelona and Rome April 2023

13 replies

Sadmum23 · 24/02/2022 15:15

Hi

I am a complete novice at travelling abroad, but want to visit Lourdes, Barcelona and Rome April 2023. For 7-10 days in total. Any tips, suggestion most welcome . Would be for husband and myself both 65+
Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 25/02/2022 13:43

All in one trip? They are not very close together. Where are you travelling from?

Please
or

Geamhradh · 25/02/2022 14:34

You'd need 9 days, 3 in each, though Lourdes could be done in less.
I'd start checking out websites like Skyscanner for multi-city options so you can work out if it's easier to go west-east or east-west. Sites like that give you a wide option of airlines too, then you can book the airline direct. easyJet probably your most reliable best bet out of the UK, they're always my first port of call. Go for flights early in the morning to get a full day in. You almost feel like you've had an extra day that way.
Spend time on Booking and Expedia and sussing out hotels.
I love planning city breaks. Grin

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 25/02/2022 14:44

I think Lourdes will be the most difficult here, have a read of this and see what you can work out. It sounds like there's airports nearby but they might need a connecting flight from elsewhere in France. Do you know anyone that's been, that might be the easiest way to suss it out.
www.tourism-lourdes.com/en/how-to-get-to-lourdes.html
Barcelona and Rome will have flights from most UK airports and between the two. Airport websites are a good place to start as they usually list the routes and which airline flies them. Likewise they usually have info on how to get into the city by bus/train/taxi.
I would book direct with the airline and pay by credit card.
If you're using the budget airlines such as Easyjet and RyanAir check the small print carefully and that you've paid for baggage etc as required. They also usually require you to check in online and print your boarding pass or have it on their app.
Take out travel insurance when you book not just before you travel.

Please
or
Please
or

Kendodd · 25/02/2022 14:53

Personally I'd do that on at least two separate trips.
Couple of nights in Rome on one trip then home. In a separate trip, fly to Barcelona, rent a car, then drive to Lourdes and back.

Please
or

MaizeAmaze · 25/02/2022 15:01

How do you want to travel? And would you be happy with a 5 hr drive round the Pyrenees if you were to combine Barcelona and Lourdes.
If definitely sounds like more than 1 trip to me.

Please
or

gogohm · 25/02/2022 15:16

How are you travelling? It is possible but not cheap ... train to Lourdes, then train to Barcelona you can fly to Rome or if wanting a sea adventure, take the ferry to Sardinia then onto Rome. Personally though I would do just Lourdes and Barcelona in one trip then Rome another time

Please
or

Sadmum23 · 25/02/2022 16:27

Thank you all for comments and suggestions . Coming from UK . I was originally thinking Lourdes, Barcelona then Rome but will take onboard the comments . THANK YOU

OP posts:
Please
or

CharacterForming · 25/02/2022 16:37

Do you want to be in Rome for Easter?

Please
or

SpiderVersed · 25/02/2022 16:40

I’d go to Rome during Lent, not at Easter. It’s relatively quiet in March and absolutely swarming over Easter.

Please
or

CharacterForming · 25/02/2022 16:50

Very true, but if you actually do want to go for Easter then this year might be as good as any.

Please
or

Sadmum23 · 25/02/2022 16:56

Hi , Do not intend to be there for Easter probably looking at week commencing 18th April. Could not cope with the massive crowds!

OP posts:
Please
or

fruitbrewhaha · 25/02/2022 17:10

If you are travelling from the UK it doesn't really make sense to do all three as one trip. They are not located near each other at all and there are some large mountains in between. You could fly to Tarbes but I don't think you can fly direct to Barcelona from there, you can probably fly to Rome from Lourdes, then fly back that way to BCN. You'll spend an awful lot of time in taxis and airports though.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?