Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Easter break - somewhere that looks like portugal but is not portugal

19 replies

Reservoir13 · 23/02/2022 07:54

Am looking around for a holiday for 6 at Easter. Husband is a great fan of Portugal but after going +5 times in the last years, I'd prefer a change of scenery! However, if I look at resorts/hotels in Greece and the Canaries, they (sorry) do not seem to be as luxurious as their Portuguese equivalents. Do you get more hotel for your money in Portugal? I know food/restaurants are not particularly cheap in Portugal but it seems that the hotels are a bit more fancy (for the same price). A lot of Greek places seem to have tiles for instance instead of wooden floors (I know, it is a small thing, it just feels less fancy). Would there be any recommendations you can give us? Lots of places in the Canaries seem like these massive hotels . While I'd like a swimming pool for the kids, I would really dislike having to queue for breakfast or having to fight over sun loungers. Where to go?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 23/02/2022 09:17

Cyprus

Please
or

LondonWolf · 23/02/2022 09:20

Just go back to Portugal. You don't really seem open to anywhere else if you're focussing on tiles as an issue around where to holiday tbh.

Please
or

lanbro · 23/02/2022 09:26

The Canaries has a massive mix, it's not just big hotels...we're currently in Lanzarote, low level hotel with apartment style rooms, 3 pools, which are quiet at the moment even though it's half term.

Turkey has some very luxurious hotels, you get a lot more for your money than in the Canaries but April is just the start of the season, cool nights and cold pools!

Just go to Portugal, better the devil you know? Personally I like trying new places but I'm not really that bothered about the flooring Wink

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 23/02/2022 09:27

I thought this was going to be about beaches etc but it seems it's the hotel aesthetics that you are concerned about.
Portugal has a different look to Spain or Greece but I wouldn't say it's more luxurious. I would be more concerned with the weather at Easter, only the Canaries would be reliably warm. I personally find Portugal more expensive than the other choices, the Canaries are generally great value so maybe look for a hotel a notch up from usual. Maybe stick with your usual as queuing and sunbed wars seem typical of anywhere with Brits, even in Portugal. However there are some Scandi oriented hotels in the Canaries which don't have these issues as Brits rarely use them.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 23/02/2022 10:07

Southern Italy? Sorrento, Sicily, Puglia?

Please
or

alrightfella · 23/02/2022 11:04

You'll get the best luxury resort hotels for your money in Turkey.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 23/02/2022 12:27

Madeira. Yes, it's Portuguese, but also, somehow, not. It's a beautiful green rugged island with a good choice of decent hotels. I think Portugal does offer very good value for money.

Please
or

Reservoir13 · 23/02/2022 13:54

Ok, so my comment about the flooring was all wrong. What it comes down to basically is that I need some extra arguments to convince husband that portugal is not the only option for a holiday break and that we get the same value for money somewhere else. He is just a bit difficult like that and if I show him pictures of hotels in other places he's quick to point out that they don't look that fancy as those in PT. Which includes the flooring (sorry again) but also these pictures on the tui website of gigantic mega hotels in the canaries. I will just have to try harder to indeed find smaller places. I indeed think that in terms of temperature the Canaries may be a better option so we perhaps better keep Italy for summer. We've done Madeira, the Azores and all other parts of PT in the last couple of years!

OP posts:
Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 23/02/2022 13:59

I get you, it seems really hard to find suitable places to stay in the canaries- everywhere looks like a giant holiday camp. Sure there are smaller and interesting places to stay. Just unsure how to find them.

We’re going back to portugal this year!

Please
or

LlamasintheFog · 23/02/2022 14:20

If he's a bit traditional I would say Cyprus is a good option. I love Portugal and felt Cyprus had a similar vibe. With the added bonus they drive on the correct side of the road and have 3 pin plugs 😂. Plus it's a good bit warmer

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 23/02/2022 14:22

How about hopping over the border onto the Spanish Algarve?
We own a place there so I dint know much about nice hotels in the area but the Parador in Ayamonte is lovely and I am sure there are others

Please
or

gogohm · 23/02/2022 14:26

I would suggest southern Italy, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus etc at Easter if you don't fancy Portugal or Spain

Please
or

drspouse · 23/02/2022 14:27

Riviera? That's very fancy.

Please
or

GeidiPrimes · 23/02/2022 14:28

The Azores?

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 23/02/2022 14:39

Cape Verde. Very good value for 5*

Please
or

MrsMoastyToasty · 23/02/2022 14:42

The Azores
Madeira
Malta (we stayed in Sliema) in a hotel with a view over Valetta Harbour. ).

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 23/02/2022 15:58

Perhaps Gozo, a short ferry ride from Malta. You could hire a large traditional house. It's a sweet place. A bit ramshackle but full of beautiful golden sandstone buildings and magnificent churches.

Please
or

MaChienEstUnDick · 23/02/2022 16:04

Funnily enough OP I just emailed an enquiry to Kuoni because I can't find what I want outside of Portugal and she came back and said 'have you thought about Portugal' so there's obviously something in it! I actually don't want Portugal because I have a hankering for a warm sea this time around. She did suggest a couple of places in Greece and Cyprus though?

Please
or

fussychica · 23/02/2022 18:09

Menorca, Costa Brava were the first places that sprang to mind but Easter might be a bit early for either, weather wise. I'd probably stick to southern Spain or Canaries for Easter or possibly PortugalGrin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?