Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Villa on a resort .. is this even a thing?

21 replies

Whiskeywithwater · 22/02/2022 12:41

We're looking to book something for Summer pretty soon. We normally like to book a villa, as not keen on the whole hotel thing .. set times for breakfast, fighting for a space round the pool etc. But - our kids are getting older, and quite frankly they're bored of us (and not that keen on spending that much time with each other exclusively either)! DD will be 16 and DS will be 13. So, what we'd ideally like is a villa - but on a resort, so they can both go and make friends and pretty much do their own thing. We'd been thinking of Turkey as a possible destination, but not totally set on that. Does such a thing even exist??

OP posts:
Please
or

TinaYouFatLard · 22/02/2022 12:45

It does exist but can be very pricey. If you’re thinking of Turkey we had a fabulous 3 bed villa with its own pool at the Gloria Golf Resort in Antalya. We’ve also done similar at the Anantara Dubai.

Please
or

DSGR · 22/02/2022 12:47

Marriott vacation clubs have large apartments, some with their own pools, but on a hotel site. They have their own kitchens so you get the best of both.

Please
or

gogohm · 22/02/2022 13:07

They do exist but I do recommend giving ai a go, they are a lot more free and easy than once upon a time. Where I last stayed there were lots of pool, no issues with getting sun loungers and food available from 6.30am until 11pm - the buffet had certain times with time to clean between (more time than pre covid due to enhanced protocols) but there were snacks available for those looking for food after breakfast finished at 10.30am, and food by the pool all afternoon, then late night snacks after 9pm. Free sports and teen programmes mean no bored kids

Please
or

Geamhradh · 22/02/2022 13:26

I've been to Alvor in Portugal and Cala Galdana in Menorca and both were hotel "complexes" with a main hotel and then self-catering apartments in the grounds, so you could use the hotel facilities but cook for yourselves, or pay something extra to eat at the hotel.

Please
or

Iheartmysmart · 22/02/2022 13:31

Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus has villas and apartments within a complex. Very nice but expensive. They have golf, tennis, football school, horse riding, swimming pools, a spa and on site restaurants.

Please
or

MsSquiz · 22/02/2022 13:36

Martinhal in Portugal has villas on a resort. We are booked to go in July having postponed twice but BIL & SIL have been before and loved it - best of both worlds, especially with the kids

Please
or

NutellaEllaElla · 22/02/2022 13:37

Yes I saw this option in Mauritius, don't know how much it cost though.

Please
or

Nootkah · 22/02/2022 14:42

@Whiskeywithwater We stayed at Insotel Punta Prima in Menorca last year. They had some stand alone units with private pools. Lots of restaurants including a la carte.

Please
or

ChattanoogaShoeShoe · 22/02/2022 16:50

I've taken the family to a couple of places like this - beach side villa with own pool, but part of a hotel complex so can wander over for dinner and breakfast. First time was in Borneo, the following year was in Koi Samui thailand. Was great to have space away from main complex without being self catering. Both occasions I got lucky with special offers on the flights, so worked out cheaper than a European holiday, but don't know if they're going to be opening back up to us any time soon.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 22/02/2022 18:04

We had a 2 bed suite at the Melia Tortuga in Cape Verde. It was AI but we had 2 big bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a lounge/kitchen area.
The teens loved it, although there’s not much to do beyond pool and water sports

Please
or

Twilightstarbright · 22/02/2022 18:15

@Nootkah did you like it? Just been looking at this as I want similar to OP.

Please
or

Hb12 · 22/02/2022 18:17

At the cheaper end HD hotels have a few places in the Canaries (and elsewhere perhaps?) that have little bungalows that you can have as SC or AI. We went to one on Gran Canaria once when the kids were smaller as we wanted AI as a break for me, but somewhere we could chill out for an hour in the afternoon with some TV while the toddler slept. It felt easier than a hotel room.

Please
or

Nootkah · 22/02/2022 18:46

@Twilightstarbright We had a nice holiday. Food was good, drinks plentiful and not restricted. Short walk to an ok beach and little town. Quite self contained. I would imagine at full capacity it would feel busy.

Please
or

rookiemere · 22/02/2022 18:51

La Manga might work for you. Villa/apartment accommodation but central activities. It's quite large though so not sure how likely DCs would be to make friends organically.

Please
or

Whiskeywithwater · 22/02/2022 19:21

Thanks everyone - done great ideas here! Menorca I’d probably not do, only because we’ve been going to Menorca for last 15 years and always stay in a villa in Binibeca (& go to the Insotel to use the water park), so don’t think there’s much we haven’t done already on the island now! Would recommend for anyone else though - love Menorca, & love that part of the island.

OP posts:
Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 22/02/2022 19:28

Check out Balaia Golf Village on the Algarve

Please
or

ihatethecold · 22/02/2022 19:36

@NutellaEllaElla

Yes I saw this option in Mauritius, don't know how much it cost though.

@NutellaEllaElla

I’d be really interested in which resort this was on.
Please
or

MaChienEstUnDick · 22/02/2022 19:50

Pine Cliffs in Portugal. Fab. But, as seems to be the theme, £££.

I'm placemarking really as we want to do this again this year, I'd go back to Pine Cliffs but have a real hankering for a warm sea which Portugal just doesn't deliver. Everything else is amazing though.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 23/02/2022 12:30

Domes resorts in Greece have this - with added benefit that with a villa you get automatic half board and access to a special lounge with unlimited drinks / snacks

Please
or

Classicblunder · 23/02/2022 12:34

You might want to think about a cruise instead - would give you a lot of the same advantages, i.e. your teens can have a bit of independence

Please
or

Luxembourgmama · 23/02/2022 12:53

Martinhal has villas in their sagres resort

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?