Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Which city with teens? Vienna, Prague or Amsterdam?

16 replies

Philandbill · 20/02/2022 08:53

As the title says... August city break for a few nights. I've been to all three places but over twenty years ago in the case of Prague and Vienna. DH has also been to Prague a long time ago and we went to Amsterdam when DDs were 6 and 9. DDs are mid to late teens now and both more arty than interested in history. Though they both adored Berlin just before lockdown. Recommendations please.

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 20/02/2022 12:48

I definitely prefer Prague over Vienna. I think it's pretty but a bit lacking in atmosphere. Stag nights aside there is a lot more of a buzz in Prague. The castle is fab, my teen loved the John Lennon wall, some cool bars and restaurants. Last time we did a tour of the Jewish quarter which was really interesting, if sad. Mucha museum is good. I've gone right off Amsterdam, which is a shame. It's got very seedy. Much prefer other Dutch cities/towns such as Rotterdam, Utrecht or Leiden, or Maastricht.

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 20/02/2022 12:50

If they’re arty, I’d suggest Barcelona, although it would be hot. If that’s not an option, I’d probably suggest Amsterdam. My dd loved the Anne Frank house, Van Gogh museum and pancake canal cruises! We also took a coach trip to Efteling.

Please
or

Philandbill · 21/02/2022 17:06

@Fivemoreminutes1 I'd love to go to Spain but they're not great with the heat and a moaning teen is no fun at all... My feeling is that they'd actually probably like Amsterdam best, plus we could go by Eurostar and avoid flying, but as they've been there before Prague or Vienna will be a draw as these are new cities to them. DD 1 has GCSE German and DD2 is learning German so Vienna would be good from that perspective. But Prague is so lovely. First world problems, grateful to be able to consider a holiday really.

OP posts:
Please
or

scootalooser · 21/02/2022 17:09

Amsterdam all the way. Vienna is very conservative and dull and Prague a bit stag weekendy.

Please
or

lostlanguages · 21/02/2022 17:16

Have you thought about Berlin?

Please
or

ReviewingTheSituation · 21/02/2022 17:16

I know it's not on your list, but how about Budapest? I MUCH preferred it to Prague - I thought it was prettier, more interesting, more varied. I'd go back in a flash.

I would have said AMS from your original 3, but you seem to discount that yourself in your last post.

How about Munich or Hamburg, if you want somewhere German-speaking? Both great cities. Or somewhere in Belgium - Ghent/Bruges (the latter may be a bit 'sleepy' for teens, and haven't been to the former, but would like to!)

I haven't been to Vienna, so no idea where that would sit in rank order of the others!

Please
or

Philandbill · 21/02/2022 19:17

Thank you all for the responses.
@lostlanguages DDs loved Berlin but we went there the last time we went abroad so we'd rather go somewhere different, though I fully intend to return to Berlin at some point.
@ReviewingTheSituation Budapest would be great but I went there one August and it was incredibly hot. DD1 awful in the heat so discounted Budapest sadly. I used to live about an hour and a half away from Hamburg so though it's a great city I'd rather go somewhere less familiar. I'd like to see Munich but that's a flat no from DH as he worked there for a bit, and not very happily, so he's not keen to go back. As I said, first world problems... Ghent sounds interesting, off to Google that now.

OP posts:
Please
or

balalake · 21/02/2022 21:02

Vienna as your DDs are learning German.

I like Ghent but probably not enough 'arty' things for teenagers.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 21/02/2022 21:55

Ghent is lovely but there's not masses to do imho. Antwerp might work - some good museums - the MAS and Red Star Line museum covering emigration to the New World. You can visit Rubens' house. Zoo, aquarium, boat trip. Some great shops and restaurants. Easy enough to do a day trip to Bruges or Ghent - Belgian trains are quite cheap. It's probably my favourite Belgian city, not as pretty as some, but has quite a buzz. Lots of lovely squares to sit on.

Please
or

HannibalHeyes · 22/02/2022 19:24

Amsterdam can also be a bit stag weekendy, and you have to be careful if you don't want them wandering around the red light district, although I agree it's great for getting the train straight there.

I've never liked Vienna, just found it all very staid and lacking atmosphere.

Love Prague, and think it would be great for teens. Plenty to see and do. Although it can get quite warm in the summer too.

Bruges might be good, depending on the ages (i.e. if they like beer and can get away with it). (Although that's also a pro for Prague, where it might be easier to get away with.)

I would suggest Helsinki, or Tallinn, but I think going close to the Russian border may not be a good idea at the moment...

Please
or

AnnaMagnani · 22/02/2022 19:28

Vienna is brutally hot in August. With not a lot of air conditioning.

DH and I went in August, lovely city - we are v in to art and music, but we were clinging to the minimal bits of shade and propping the door open of our hotel room with the fire extinguisher in hope of a breeze.

Please
or

Smileyoriley · 28/02/2022 13:22

I'm in Prague at the moment.
Yes, there are some stag parties here but I've hardly noticed them ( probably frequent different venues!) Beautiful city with lovely architecture and places to see.

Please
or

Gowithme · 28/02/2022 18:48

We went to Amsterdam early in the year and it was heaving then, I dread to think what it's like in the summer hols. I wasn't a fan tbh. Vienna is dull IMO, not somewhere I'd go back unless it was for a Christmas market. Haven't been to Prague in years but that would be my choice, lots to see and very interesting. I'd also take a chance with Budapest which is great and just keep your fingers crossed there's not a heat wave. I preferred Prague and Budapest to Berlin personally.

Please
or

AnnaSW1 · 28/02/2022 18:55

Honestly I found Vienna so dull.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 28/02/2022 19:03

@AnnaSW1

Honestly I found Vienna so dull.

I don't know what it is about Vienna. It's a beautiful city but seems to lack any atmosphere. Apart from the Prater. Budapest in comparison is marvellous.
Please
or

cathyandclare · 28/02/2022 19:08

Budapest or krakow for me, going to Vienna and Prague next month though so may choose them after that!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?