Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flying from airport 2 hours away or 6 hours

25 replies

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 12:09

So we've found two near identical holidays that tick all the boxes for summer 2023. We've got three kids, the youngest is going to be 4 and the oldest 10. We haven't been abroad since before we had the kids so have no basis for comparison and I need the opinions from more seasoned travelers!

So one package is from the airport 2 hours away. Timings of the flight mean we need one night in a hotel on the way out, we can just drive straight home after though. But it's £450 dearer than the other option which is one airport 6 hours away. We could stay with my dad before the flight out, but would need a hotel on the way back. Would also need two or three more days boarding for the dog. The dates also mean DH would need to take 3 more days leave at least. Plus the extra days on the road we'd all need feeding along with the extra fuel costs. So it soon adds up.

I still think it's slightly cheaper doing the 6 hour option, plus we see my dad(which is honestly my biggest motivation going with that airport) But will that be expecting a lot from the kids off the back of their first holiday abroad? I don't want to end it with 3 ratty kids in a premier Inn who just want their own beds.

Honestly I've been looking at holiday options so my long I have lost any sensible decision making skills. I need to hear from people with experience!

OP posts:
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 16/02/2022 12:10

Is the 2h away airport the closest airport to you?

Please
or

Ilikewinter · 16/02/2022 12:13

I think id go for the 2 hour trip, i couldnt imagine having a 6 hour journey home, i jusy want to get home and have a brew!!

Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 12:16

There is an airport 40 minutes away, but all the packages from there are quite a ways out of budget. Although I'm not sure I exhausted all the options from there so I should double check.

Are you just ready to get home after a good holiday? It's going to be the only time we get abroad for a good few years so it's really important the kids enjoy it.

OP posts:
Please
or

BobbinHood · 16/02/2022 12:21

For me it would have to still be considerably cheaper after taking additional costs into account to be worth doing the 6+ hours away airport, especially since it means taking more annual leave. The kids would probably be fine but I generally want nothing more than my own bed once I’m coming home from holiday.

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 16/02/2022 12:42

@NotQuiteUsual

There is an airport 40 minutes away, but all the packages from there are quite a ways out of budget. Although I'm not sure I exhausted all the options from there so I should double check.

Are you just ready to get home after a good holiday? It's going to be the only time we get abroad for a good few years so it's really important the kids enjoy it.

Does the 40mins away airport fly to the 6hr away airport?
Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 13:07

I don't think it would make financial sense to fly internally, which is a shame because that would of been fun.

I've also just found a package from the airport 40 minutes away £1000 more but it's all inclusive with a dinky waterpark and entertainment. For £50 a month more in wondering if that's a better choice. How does all inclusive compare with basic self catering?

OP posts:
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 16/02/2022 13:08

So an extra 200pp which offers-
Reduced journey times
All meals, drinks etc
Waterpark

Seems like a no brained to me - especially if that's 1000 more than the current cheapest option.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 16/02/2022 13:13

I wouldn't even consider flying from an airport 6 hours with kids just for a summer holiday, you'll easy eat up the additional £450 in hotel, food, dog boarding, petrol, etc and your DH saves enough days leave for another holiday! Going out it would seem like an adventure but coming home you'll just want to be in your own beds, unpacked and a wash on!

Please
or

Embracelife · 16/02/2022 13:16

@NotQuiteUsual

I don't think it would make financial sense to fly internally, which is a shame because that would of been fun.

I've also just found a package from the airport 40 minutes away £1000 more but it's all inclusive with a dinky waterpark and entertainment. For £50 a month more in wondering if that's a better choice. How does all inclusive compare with basic self catering?

Go for this one.
Then you know the cost up front
And easier travel
Please
or

LIZS · 16/02/2022 13:16

One closer to home.

Please
or

Embracelife · 16/02/2022 13:17

You can easily spend 150 euros a day on lunch and dinner out or end in cooking pasta and washing up yourself what holidays is that?

Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 13:28

Honestly thank you all so much. You had no idea how much this helps. We usually go to a caravan park in the country every year so this is totally alien to us. I think the all inclusive would be lovely. In a way it's easier to save up for, since we'll have all our meals sorted. I'll show DH the thread tonight and get him on board.

OP posts:
Please
or

CraftyGin · 16/02/2022 13:31

Is it all about the money?

Please
or

Chatwin · 16/02/2022 13:34

@NotQuiteUsual

Go with this, so much less hassle. All prices known. Just check the Tripadvisor reviews.

I say this as someone who's nearest airport is 5 hours away so we always have to factor in 2 extra nights away if we go abroad.
Please
or

Madcats · 16/02/2022 13:47

Look at the terms of your AI deal but almost certainly it will include soft drinks and snacks (and probably ice creams). You might get alcohol too. My teen most definitely expected three meals a day as a youngster and plenty to drink (which is an issue on islands with non-potable water).

With three young ones, it is almost inevitable that one will be exhausted at any given time, so it is helpful to have evening entertainment for the oldest to enjoy (even if you sit there with earbuds in). With a little play area on-site the kids are more likely to make friends.

You have an easy journey to the airport (fuel is ££), the dog gets more time at home and you don't have a long slog back at the end. Your DH won't be burning through as much annual leave either.

I hope you have a great holiday wherever you go.

Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 13:48

CraftyGin it's always all about the money Grin

I'm definitely over thinking it and stressing more than I need too. Having disposable income is still relatively new to us, so the idea of committing money for the next year and a bit feels like a much bigger thing than it is. But we definitely can afford it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Clymene · 16/02/2022 13:50

With that age range I'd go for nearest airport, AI and kids club.

Please
or

BobbinHood · 16/02/2022 14:04

@NotQuiteUsual

I’d go with this, for a family of 5 you could easily spend more than £1k on drinks, snacks and meals for a week on holiday, plus this option is much more convenient.
Please
or

NotQuiteUsual · 16/02/2022 14:33

The reviews are looking positive too. The biggest complaints are things that don't really bother us. Repetitive food, which with a kid with sensory issues around food is a plus. Sunbeds are worse for wear, but I'm happy enough on a towel on the ground as long as the weather is good and I've got a cold drink. We're booking it tonight once DH has checked TripAdvisor and given it his seal of approval.

Omg we're actually going to manage an all inclusive holiday. We've worked our arses off to get out of debt, off benefits and into a good position. It's all paying off.

OP posts:
Please
or

FredBair · 16/02/2022 14:46

When travelling with small children I always chose airport and civilised flight times first then holiday.

Your holiday will be fabulous OP.
AI hotels are perfect for families with young children. You can eat whenever you like, all fussiness can be catered for, ice creams and drinks all day long. Happy kids = peace and relaxation for adults.

Please
or

JustJam4Tea · 16/02/2022 14:47

I'd just want to get home and get the washing on. Do a separate trip for your dad.

Please
or

BobbinHood · 16/02/2022 14:48

@NotQuiteUsual

The reviews are looking positive too. The biggest complaints are things that don't really bother us. Repetitive food, which with a kid with sensory issues around food is a plus. Sunbeds are worse for wear, but I'm happy enough on a towel on the ground as long as the weather is good and I've got a cold drink. We're booking it tonight once DH has checked TripAdvisor and given it his seal of approval.

Omg we're actually going to manage an all inclusive holiday. We've worked our arses off to get out of debt, off benefits and into a good position. It's all paying off.

Hope he likes the look of it too and you have a fantastic time! Smile
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 16/02/2022 14:53

Omg we're actually going to manage an all inclusive holiday. We've worked our arses off to get out of debt, off benefits and into a good position. It's all paying off

Enjoy that stress free no cooking holiday!!

Please
or

BringMeTea · 16/02/2022 16:46

Oh sounds great! Enjoy your holiday!

Please
or

Starisnotanumber · 16/02/2022 16:50

What company is it with if jet2 download the app and there is 50.00 per person discount on lots of summer holidays

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?