Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ryanair - Pre Travel Test Must Be Supervised & Laboratory??

12 replies

roses2 · 10/02/2022 10:18

I am travelling on Saturday to Cyprus Saturday morning which specifies an antigen test 24 hours pre departure. I've purchased a Chronomics test which arrived in the post. No other specification other than rapid antigen up to 24 hours pre departure.

Ryanair have just sent me an email saying the test be administered / supervised by a professional and the antigen must be a laboratory test. This is not specified on the Cyprus website! I am now panicking my Chronomics test won't be accepted.

Has anyone flown recently with Ryanair and received this conflicting information?

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 10/02/2022 10:24

Doesn't say anything like that on the .gov website. You also take a PCR when you arrive in Cyprus by the looks of it

Please
or

roses2 · 10/02/2022 10:25

Screenshot of their email attached. Laboratory rapid tests don't even exist, hence why they are rapid!

Ryanair - Pre Travel Test Must Be Supervised & Laboratory??
OP posts:
Please
or

Kitkat151 · 10/02/2022 10:30

Following ( I’m due to fly Ryanair soon) .....I thought airlines could have their own rules....as well as the rules of the country to be entered?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 10/02/2022 10:32

You can book private in-person antigen tests too

Please
or

Parpophone · 10/02/2022 10:39

They just mean that you can't use the free NHS ones.

The ones that you order (and pay for) have the option to upload a photo of the result and they will e mail you a fit to fly certificate.

We used "simplytestme" when we travelled last week (not to Cyprus though). Did test, uploaded photo of negative result and had the certificate all within 20 minutes.

What do the instructions on your Chronomics test say?

Please
or

Sirzy · 10/02/2022 10:41

As recently as early January I know of people flying into France with Ryanair just using the Chronomics test

Please
or

roses2 · 10/02/2022 10:45

Thanks all this is reassuring to hear your feedback. Ryanair recommend Randox on their website but this is also a self test rapid test at home.

In absolute worst case there is a rapid test site at Stansted airport. If they reject my Chronomics test I will get one at the airport (1 hour turnaround time).

OP posts:
Please
or

roses2 · 12/02/2022 11:06

I'm all boarded. My chronomics test was accepted just fine. It didn't say self test certificate.

Also my 20kg checked in bag was 2kg over (so 22kg) and the lady at check in didn't say anything. and my rucksack hand luggage stuffed full and slightly bigger than the allowed dimensions. No one batted an eye lid.

Ryanair seem to have a bad rep but so far they seem OK and comparable to Wizz Air, easyjet etc.

OP posts:
Please
or

Parpophone · 12/02/2022 12:57

Enjoy your trip. Glad it was all straighforward!

Please
or

Kitkat151 · 12/02/2022 16:33

Glad you all sorted and all systems go....
safe journey

Please
or

balalake · 13/02/2022 14:39

Hope the journey back is as easy.

Please
or

roses2 · 13/02/2022 15:40

@balalake

Hope the journey back is as easy.

No confusing test requirements for the way back plus I always come back with a light suitcase. It's normally packed on the way out with MILs shopping list!

I posted this thread because the Ryanair covid test reminder email was more stringent than the requirements required by Cyprus. I'm assuming it was a generic email they sent as I had no issues when they checked my paperwork at check in.
OP posts:
Please
or