Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flight cancellation & compensation

8 replies

SheriffCallie · 09/02/2022 17:26

Has anyone got any experience? We’ve just had the return leg of a flight cancelled, meaning that the whole return journey has had to be cancelled. We were due to fly next week, so incredibly short notice in my opinion. Company won’t give reason for cancellation, although I see online that you can’t book that flight any more so I suspect they are in the process of pulling the route.
I eventually managed to get through to an operator who was not particularly pleasant or helpful, who explained that my options were refund or re-book, however they couldn’t put us on different flight (so rebooking then is not an option). Normally I’d chalk it down to experience but given that they’ve been so uncompassionate about how disappointing this is (it’s a long planned family trip) I’d like to try for compensation. Any tips on how to improve our chance of getting this? I figure it will at least help us find out why they cancelled it (as they would have to declare this if/when declining our claim).
Also, the flight was previously booked for Dec and flights were cancelled on us then too, however when we moved them to Feb we were charged more? Should they have honoured the original price of the cancelled flight, or is it expected that you may have to pay more when the dates change due to the airline cancellation?
Thanks for any advice you might have.

OP posts:
Please
or

PAFMO · 09/02/2022 21:13

If I had compensation (other than a refund or rebooking) for every flight of mine that's been cancelled over the last two years, I could retire.
You've been offered a refund- take it and book your flight with somebody else.

Please
or

SheriffCallie · 09/02/2022 21:24

You regularly have flights cancelled with a couple of days to go? That’s awful. And must make the run up to holidays very stressful.
Or do you regularly have flights cancelled with weeks notice, leaving you time to find alternative transport?
It’s Feb half term, and we don’t live in a U.K. travel hub, so booking flights at short notice isn’t quite so straightforward. I appreciate that people with more options, might just be happy to take the refund and go elsewhere. And with more notice, I might have been too.

OP posts:
Please
or

SheriffCallie · 09/02/2022 21:28

Sorry I just noticed you referred to the cancellations being within the last two years. I assume you mean with covid and travel restrictions? Yes, we’ve had two flights cancelled at short notice when restrictions were in place. Totally anticipated, we understood the difficulties, and accepted the refunds with no question.
This is different, no travel restrictions are in place, other flights are going ahead, and no obvious reason for the cancellation.

OP posts:
Please
or

FakingMemories · 10/02/2022 04:18

Compensation for what though? Will you be losing money on your accommodation if you cancel that because you can’t get there? Insurance would cover that.

Check the conditions of carriage. You’ll probably find that you are not eligible for compensation because the cancellation will be recorded as “beyond our control” by the airline. But if you have a lot if time on your hands you can try and pursue it.

It’s a mess, for sure. But what can you do? If the flight isn’t operating, it isn’t operating. Fighting for compensating won’t change that.

Please
or

MallampatiCatty · 10/02/2022 04:28

We've had flights cancelled to Santorini 4 times over the past year. With two different airlines. We haven't actually managed to get there yet. Unfortunately due to covid a LOT of flight routes have been pulled and re jigged. Our flight in early April has just been cancelled. Not for restrictions, but lack of demand I would assume. I'm sorry, it's v frustrating and I do sympathise

Please
or

Bratnews · 10/02/2022 04:35

I’ve not tried in the last few years but I’ve used this website before and received the statutory compensation that I was eligible for a couple of times. It’s worth a try:

www.resolver.co.uk/

Please
or

PAFMO · 10/02/2022 05:42

@SheriffCallie

Sorry I just noticed you referred to the cancellations being within the last two years. I assume you mean with covid and travel restrictions? Yes, we’ve had two flights cancelled at short notice when restrictions were in place. Totally anticipated, we understood the difficulties, and accepted the refunds with no question.
This is different, no travel restrictions are in place, other flights are going ahead, and no obvious reason for the cancellation.

People are still not filling planes.
Not worth taking off with 15 people on board.
Check the T&C of your own insurance to see if you can get any more money.
Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 10/02/2022 05:56

You may be entitled to EU compensation (EU261) if it was cancelled within two weeks of that flight but not if the cancellation was for extraordinary reasons. The person rebooking you is unlikely to know the reason for cancellation. You need to make a claim and it will be assessed, it's quite a black and white process so not much you can do to improve chances. Is there another airport you could fly back from?

Please
or