Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where in Malaga?

20 replies

Somsun · 08/02/2022 09:27

I’m looking for somewhere in Spain for 7 nights, around the end of March beginning of April and I could really do with some help please!

I have googled and searched posts and noticed that Malaga comes up a lot in the recommendations, so come on wise and well traveled mumsnetters where in Malaga do you like?

We would have a budget of about 1100 euro for accommodation and flights so nothing crazy expensive for us unfortunately!,
We’d like somewhere self catering, hotel/apartment with a pool/balcony/terrace near the beach.

We won’t be hiring a car so somewhere central to bars and restaurants and also the the shops that sell all sorts of stuff you didn’t know you wanted! bonus points if there aren’t too many hills! (My knees aren’t as young as they once were Grin )

Good transport links to the city if we fancy a day away from the pool/beach would be good too.

Really hoping you have some suggestions for me!

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsnec · 08/02/2022 09:34

I Don't know much about Malaga city itself but I have a huge soft spot for Benalmadena and if I was booking Malaga flights now that's where I'd be looking for accommodation.

Yes it's touristy but it's not far from the airport. It has a great choice of accommodation it's on the train line to Malaga and I love the marina there.

Please
or

Somsun · 08/02/2022 13:05

Very helpful thanks mrsnec! Just had a look at the area and it’s just what I’m looking for, all I need to do now is find somewhere to book.
Has anyone else stayed there and can recommend something? I’m hoping to find a place with a heated pool, just in case!

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsnec · 08/02/2022 13:10

I've stayed at Las Arenas and the Torrequabrada. Both hotels though. Might fit your budget though. And for me, Las Arenas is the perfect location.

Please
or

purpleleotard · 08/02/2022 13:15

Malaga central city is ideal.
Easy to get to on the underground from the airport.
Easy to walk around as there are no hills and the city centre is a pedestrian zone.
Plenty of bars. cafes and restaurants.
Culture too, Thysen gallery, Picasso plus more.
Easy day out to Ronda if you want.
Good climate.
Friendly locals.
We stayed in an apartment hotel in the centre. so no pool.
Check Trip advisor for more choices.
enjoy.

Please
or

mumto2teenagers · 08/02/2022 13:19

We stayed in the Sunset Beach Club in Benalmadena, we liked the hotel and there was plenty of activities for the children.

There was also a lot to do in resort, we were there for 10 nights and did days trips to Malaga, Morocco and Gibraltar.

Please
or

Soberfutures · 08/02/2022 13:34

There is a Facebook group called welcome to benalmadena. Join that and you will find any apartments to rent and info from locals and ex pats living there.
No heated pools as I'm aware of but maybe 1 has an indoor pool iirc

Please
or

tanstaafl · 08/02/2022 14:02

The heated pool will likely be an indoor one at that time of year.

Please
or

tanstaafl · 08/02/2022 15:12

By indoor I meant in a hotel, not necessarily a public pool!
There’s a modern train line runs from Malaga central down to Fuengirola (spelling?), from memory it was a few euros from benalmadena to Malaga.

Please
or

Carpediem15 · 08/02/2022 15:31

Sunset Beach has an indoor pool but there is a small charge for it as it is rented out to Boyds gym. Benalmadena is quite hilly if you stay on the seafront and wish to go to Friday market or into Arroy de la Miel where the train station is which goes to Malaga one way and Fuengirola the other. Las Arenas has just had a refurb and is a fabulous hotel.
Fuengirola is flat with a very long flat promenade which is only a small street away from the centre of town if you don't want "hilly".

Please
or

Carpediem15 · 08/02/2022 15:38

Google Ruebens Travel Benalmadena and you can see the kind of day trips you can take. It is also the best place to change your money as you can have a couple of free drinks from the shelf next to the money exchange. Some days it is like a bar in there and they also have a branch in Fuengirola.

Please
or

TheDogsMother · 08/02/2022 15:51

I think it depends if you want a city break or a resort type break I stayed at Room Mate Valeria. Odd name but very cool boutique hotel with a rooftop pool and bar. Right on the seafront in Malaga and in easy reach of all the restaurants/bars, sights. It's been a few years since I've been but I definitely would not recommend Fuengirola

Please
or

Somsun · 08/02/2022 16:03

Brilliant ideas here keep em coming!
Thanks everyone Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Twilightstarbright · 08/02/2022 18:39

@mrsnec what was the Torrequebrada like? Been looking at it for May.

Please
or

mrsnec · 08/02/2022 18:52

@Twilightstarbright it's years since I went but from memory it was nice enough and well equipped and the pool was nice. Whilst I haven't been for years I used to go regularly and have never been disappointed with the weather. I remember being able to walk everywhere staying there and Las Arenas but I had a more memorable holiday at Las Arenas preferred being closer to the Marina and the view of the little castle thingy. I think it's closer to the square and easier access to bus routes too.

I have recently moved back to the UK from abroad and noticed that my local regional airport is doing Malaga flights so I've just started looking at it again I still think I'd choose Las Arenas over the Torrequebrada especially since the refurbishment. But different people have different taste. I have a friend who is BA crew, has been everywhere, lives in Cornwall but holidays in Fuengirolla because she thinks it's the best spot on the Costa, my parents love Nerja and Mijas they've all tried to persuade me otherwise but I think I'll stick with what I know!

Please
or

Lastmincook · 08/02/2022 18:54

Malaga city is amazing and right on the beach, otherwise Estepona is nice and less ‘British’ than Benalmadena

Please
or

Lastmincook · 08/02/2022 18:55

Nerjs also very nice

Please
or

Twilightstarbright · 08/02/2022 19:20

Thank you @mrsnec

Please
or

Carpediem15 · 08/02/2022 19:27

Torrequebrada is out of Benalmadena and is a bus or taxi ride to town.
The Castly thing is called the Bil Bil and it a favourite place for people to get married.
I have friends who have lived in Fuengirola for years and would not live anywhere else and Nerja is lovely but if you go there be aware that if you are not on a package deal a taxi from the Airport is about 70 Euros single. There are buses that run on the Coast road and up to Benalmadena Pueblo (village) and Arroyo but can be a bit of hit and miss with times as the moment. I love Benalmadena and it is a great holiday destination.

Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 08/02/2022 19:30

Will mainland Spain be warm enough for beach and pool at end of March/early April? I’ve always thought not?

Please
or

Carpediem15 · 08/02/2022 19:56

@BigSandyBalls2015

Will mainland Spain be warm enough for beach and pool at end of March/early April? I’ve always thought not?

Outdoor pools, no if you are nesh like me but beach is fine and you can find sheltered spots out of the breeze. The temp averages about 18c/65f but at night it goes down to about 9c. but alot better than UK. Lots of bars and restaurants have covered areas where you can sit and enjoy the sunshine and most days it nice to sit outdoors and enjoy the weather.
Please
or