Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

USA covid tests day 3-5 for kids

21 replies

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 18:59

Hi All

Kids travelling to the USA need to take an FDA approved rapid antigen test between days 3 and 5 after arrival.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is it ok to just film us doing an NHS test, or do I need to buy ones to take that give certificates? Or get them done there?

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 07/02/2022 19:13

Get them done there or book with Qured for a supervised test that you can take with you (and use them for your supervised pre-departure test too). They're very efficient. I've had my certificate through within 20mins of uploading my test results. And they use FDA approved tests (Flowflex).

And no way you can use a NHS test and/or film it yourself. NHS tests can't be used for travel and filming yourself doesn't count as supervised.

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 19:27

Thank you. Yes - booked with Qured for the way out (supervised) but for the test when there for the kids, it simply says you need to test! Am wondering if anyone knows exactly what type of test that needs to be? But good idea to book the qured one again to be on the safe side

OP posts:
Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 19:46

It says on the travel attestation that they need to take a 'viral covid test' - whatever that is 🤦🏼‍♀️

OP posts:
Please
or

Avidreader12 · 07/02/2022 19:55

I didn’t think the day 3-5 test was mandatory only advice for travel to USA. My holiday company said we need inc kids test pre departure.

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 20:01

It's required if the kids aren't fully vaccinated. It's included in the attestation you will sign to fly to the USA. Just found another thread on tripadvisor (Google Tripadvisor Orlando kids covid tests) - it appears the guidance is very unclear, so most people are doing an NHS lateral flow test - if positive, the attestation says you are legally obliged to isolate

OP posts:
Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 20:01

(the guidance on the type of test is unclear - it's very clear that kids should be doing them on days 3 to 5)

OP posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 07/02/2022 20:12

Kids travelling to the USA need to take an FDA approved rapid antigen test between days 3 and 5 after arrival.

Do they ? Oh well, we didnt' do that test for DC (December 2021). I suppose rules have changed since then. We also went to Florida. I thought it was illegal in Florida to require tests or vacc for anything.

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 20:33

From what I can find online, think lots of people haven't done it! Just don't want to get caught out, as the attestation says:

D. EXCEPTIONS:
• Child 2 to 17 years of age
• Participant in certain COVID-19 vaccine trials as determined by CDC
Form OMB Control No.: 0920-1318 Expiration date: 05/31/2022
[ ] I attest that I am excepted from the requirement to present Proof of Being Fully Vaccinated Against COVID- 19 and have made the following arrangements (must check all boxes in D and then proceed to sign Attestation).
To be tested with a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after arriving in the United States, unless I have
documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days;
To self-isolate if the result of the post-arrival viral test is positive or if I develop COVID-19 symptoms.

OP posts:
Please
or

Welshgirl10 · 07/02/2022 20:36

Hi,

In terms of the timing for the tests- can it just be the day before you fly or does it need to be 24 hours or less before you fly?

Thanks

Please
or

alwaystakethetrip · 07/02/2022 20:37

You need to do within 24 hours of flight departure (supervised) and then 3 to 5 days after landing for kids

OP posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 08/02/2022 03:51

Not within 24 hours... there are whole threads about that online.

"1 calendar day" means 1 calendar day before, not < 24 hours before. Test any time on 15th is good for travel on 16th, etc.

I suppose I must have done that form... you're right, there is literally NO SYSTEM to verify those tests were taken. You can take the test any way you like. I'd take an NHS test -- at least it's free. I paid £59 for my LFT in Miami. Don't do that.

Please
or

PurrBox · 08/02/2022 04:02

They don't actually care if the pre-departure test is supervised. I am American, and have had 5 family members and visitors fly to the US from the UK in the last 2 months- none did a supervised test. They all did Confirm Testing LFTs, unsupervised.

You can test the day before flight, can be more than 24 hours.

I seriously doubt that anyone will check if a child is doing the day 3-5 test. I would be absolutely astonished, in fact.

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 08/02/2022 04:24

@lljkk

Do they ? Oh well, we didnt' do that test for DC (December 2021). I suppose rules have changed since then. We also went to Florida. I thought it was illegal in Florida to require tests or vacc for anything.

The state of Florida can only mandate things at a state level. Immigration is a federal matter. So federal laws/rules apply, regardless of which state or states you are going to. Even if you’re going to South Dakota that never shut down, never had masks, etc but you are entering the US from outside, you have to follow the federal rules, not the state rules.
Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 08/02/2022 04:28

@PurrBox

They don't actually care if the pre-departure test is supervised. I am American, and have had 5 family members and visitors fly to the US from the UK in the last 2 months- none did a supervised test. They all did Confirm Testing LFTs, unsupervised.

You can test the day before flight, can be more than 24 hours.

I seriously doubt that anyone will check if a child is doing the day 3-5 test. I would be absolutely astonished, in fact.

Exactly! We just going have them resources for that. How would they do it? Send the national guard to hotels to check up on young children? How would they know where to find them? And what would they do it they found they hadn’t tested? You can shoplift up to $950 in California and nothing happens. Doubt they are going to arrest people for not COVID testing young children.
Please
or

astuz · 08/02/2022 07:07

We're going to the states in April, and honestly this is the least of my worries. We'll take some NHS LFTs just in case, but as PP have said, no one is going to chase anyone up if a child hasn't done an LFT.

Please
or

lljkk · 08/02/2022 09:07

Let's face it, the testing rules & attestation may have completely changed by April 2022 !!

Has federal gov in USA announced expiry dates on vaccine passes, yet, like EU has done? I suspect USA won't do that for another year or so.

Please
or

GherkinsOnToast · 08/02/2022 20:40

they need to take an LFT - we took NHS ones and reported the results on the NHS system. you don't have to report them anywhere in the USA but if asked you need to be able to provide evidence that you have taken the test, the date you took it and the result.

Please
or

ethelredonagoodday · 08/02/2022 22:48

Interested in this as going in the summer hols with 9 and 12 year old. Less worried about the testing, than the vaccination for 5 years plus entry inside restaurants and venues. 😬

Please
or

lljkk · 09/02/2022 08:15

Lots of states don't operate vaccine requirements -- no restaurant will ask for your vaccine status in Florida, for instance

Please
or

ethelredonagoodday · 09/02/2022 09:32

We are going to NYC and DC though, where I think at the moment, at least, they are very strict. Hoping they'll ease off by summer, as whilst we adults are vaccinated, daughter hadn't had the opportunity yet, and son isn't old enough.

Please
or

lljkk · 09/02/2022 14:36

I believe that even in those strict states, almost no one actually asks for proof your vaccine status. It's simply a notice on the door for you to pretend to comply with or not.

In rural areas of NY or CA, they enforce the rules even less.

Please
or