Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Winter 2022 40th break Euro destination HELP

20 replies

LAS123 · 07/02/2022 14:13

Looking for ideas for trip in December including kids aged 3 and 5.
Considering either Amsterdam/Bruges (if both are doable) or any other recommended Euro destinations for a kid friendly city break. OR a cheap week in the Canaries.
Budget approx £1000.
Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 07/02/2022 17:09

For my 40th we went to Nuremberg in Germany. A bit Random but we were very limited with flight times due to childcare and that was what worked. Anyway it was lovely. We went in summer but the Christmas markets are apparently legendary if December is an option. A really lovely small city, easy to navigate and the airport was just about 15 minutes away on the metro. Lots of nice beer gardens and restaurants too.

Please
or

zafferana · 07/02/2022 17:23

If you can get a week in the Canaries for four people for £1000 I'll eat my hat! That is not a generous budget OP, but I'm guessing you'd be able to get a weekend in a European city for that in December, as long as it's not over Christmas or New Year.

I'd take a look at packages on booking.com, lastminute.com, etc and see what comes up. I don't personally think Amsterdam is that great for small DC and it will quite possibly be cold and very damp in December. If you want to try and get some snow then Munich or Salzburg might work, alternatively you might be able to find some cheap flights to Lisbon, Malaga, Alicante or Valencia at that time of year, plus an Airbnb apartment.

Please
or

LAS123 · 07/02/2022 17:29

@zafferana thanks, I have found a few SC in Lanzarote for approx £900, basic hotels in Puerto Del Carmen which is a slightly quieter resort but Ive been before so ok with that.
Thats interesting re Amsterdam with kids, I did wonder if it would be boring/stressful with them.
Lisbon sounds interesting Ill explore that thanks, first week of Dec so not Xmas.

OP posts:
Please
or

LAS123 · 07/02/2022 17:31

@Frazzled2207 thank you I have been to a few parts of German but never there, is there enough ‘to do’? Although not sure what Im expecting to do other than mooch about 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

catmack16 · 07/02/2022 17:33

I'd suggest Gent or Antwerp with Bruges rather than Amsterdam. Antwerp and Gent are both interesting cities with lots to see and do. Both are much closer to Bruges so you wouldn't waste time travelling. Amsterdam would be around 2 hours 30 minutes or so from Bruges by car with train being longer.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 07/02/2022 17:35

[quote LAS123]@Frazzled2207 thank you I have been to a few parts of German but never there, is there enough ‘to do’? Although not sure what Im expecting to do other than mooch about 😂[/quote]
At Christmas time I’d say yes as so many Christmassy stuff happening
Other times of year adults would be fine to mooch about but I suppose young kids could struggle. There is a fab museum there about the war but not really small child friendly. That said I think germany generally is very family friendly and well organised.

Please
or

Oblomov22 · 07/02/2022 17:45

I'm looking too. For my 50th. Been to quite a few places. I haven't been to Oslo or Reykjavík.

Please
or

Parker231 · 07/02/2022 17:49

What about Lille? Loads to see and thanks to Eurostar easy to get there

Please
or

tentative3 · 07/02/2022 20:17

I love Amsterdam but I've no idea what it would be like with kids. There's food everywhere though so I'd have thought that was a good start!

I like Ghent more than Bruges but it's easy enough to see both in one trip .

How about a German city? or Vienna? Re a pp's suggestion of Salzburg, we thought it was gorgeous but we went in December a couple of years ago and it was freakishly warm - 15 degrees!

Please
or

LAS123 · 07/02/2022 21:35

Thank you for all suggestions, I really like the look of Salzburg and Nuremberg.
I think I have dropped the idea of Amsterdam, might save that for a day trip from a summer hol destination in the area.
Also considering Seville if anyone has any thoughts?
Thanks again.

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 08/02/2022 15:51

Seville is lovely and might even still be sunny in December, as southern Spain often is in winter. I'm a huge fan of Spanish cities, which have managed to retain their authenticity in a way that many other European cities haven't as a result of modern mass tourism. I guess Spain sacrificed its coasts and saved its cities!

Please
or

Starisnotanumber · 09/02/2022 18:55

Where would you be flying from or can you use the train if going to northern Europe
Makes a difference on pricing, will you be tied to school holidays or are you free to go mid-week

Please
or

rookiemere · 10/02/2022 10:14

If you genuinely can get it for £1000 I'd go for Lanzarote.
Your DC are very young so overall it would be more relaxing to enjoy a bit of warmth and a low key longer break, than a city break in not brilliant weather.
We went to Barcelona in November and it was Baltic!

Please
or

MyLLH96 · 10/02/2022 13:49

Heathrow's half-term strike is off! Travel chaos has been avoided!

www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/heathrow-airport-half-term-strike-23051716

Please
or

TheSpanishApartment · 10/02/2022 13:55

I've just booked a trip to Iceland for my 50th in December (DD will be 8 by then - I think she'll like the lagoons and geysers). I was considering Vienna/Venice/ Seville/ Strasbourg.
We actually went to Bruges which was lovely - gorgeously Christmassy and atmospheric - for my 40th but that was pre-kids. I think it would have been fine with children though. There was an ice rink, market, ice sculpture exhibition, windmills etc. which would all have been child friendly.

Please
or

TheSpanishApartment · 10/02/2022 13:58

We've done quite a few city breaks with DD and she really enjoys them - loads to keep her occupied normally. She still bangs on about Bristol being one of her favourite holidays ever (!) The best family holiday we've had was to Washington DC when she was 2. It was actually perfect with a toddler. I find it more relaxing than somewhere with a pool etc where you have to watch them constantly and it's not actually relaxing for you, whereas for a city break you aren't expecting to relax, and it's also easier to entertain them. At least that's how it has been for us.

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 10/02/2022 14:02

How about Nice? Near the airport- you can see it from the Promenade des Anglais! Lovely walks and good transport links to other places, trains and buses etc. Warmer than many places at that time of year. Pebble beach so not a lot of sand to worry about.

Please
or

ESGdance · 10/02/2022 14:11

I think that your DC are just too young for a potentially cold, wet, windy, winter city break. It would be fine if it were the summer and you could potter about in city parks with picnics etc.

Southern Spain / Italy is a good idea as it would likely be at least dry and bright if you want a city experience.

However if YOU want a rest I would be looking at a week in the Canaries as often little ones need time to acclimatise and settle. If you are interested in art and culture Lanzarote has some amazing experiences if you are happy to drive around the island. Will post some links….

Please
or
Please
or

ESGdance · 10/02/2022 14:23

A bit of winter sun is so refreshing

Please
or