Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Things to do in Crete

11 replies

BrieAndChilli · 05/02/2022 21:22

We are going to Crete at Easter. There is a large family group of us ranging from 18months to 64!

We have rented a villa in Bali, and so are looking for day trip ideas (will be renting a couple of minibuses) as well as local places to eat.

I know it’s not going to be hot. (We couldn’t go further afield as other members of the group didn’t want a long flight) and Easter was the only time we could all get time off together.

OP posts:
Please
or

BrieAndChilli · 05/02/2022 21:24

We will be 10 adults, and 7 kids (18months, 3, 7,8, 11, 13, and 15)

OP posts:
Please
or

Awrite · 05/02/2022 21:26

Knossos labyrinth, home of the minotaur.

Thor's cave.

Loved both.

Haven't been to Crete for almost 20 years. I absolutely loved it though.

Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 05/02/2022 21:29

30 years since I was there, but Knossos is a must -it’s fascinating (and I don’t tend to do historical sight seeing)

Please
or

girlofthenorth · 11/02/2022 23:16

Go to the western coast , by Chania. But more extreme west. It's extremely beautiful , white sand and crystal waters .

Please
or

Inacountrygarden · 11/02/2022 23:23

Spinalonga, the former leper colony, in the Gulf of Elouda. Read the novel, "The Island" by Victoria Hislop before you visit.

Please
or

agedmother · 11/02/2022 23:27

Drive up to the Lassithi Plateau. Drive across to the South coast (have lunch in Spilli by the fountains). Go to the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion. Visit the Fort and old town in Rethymnon.

Please
or

minipie · 11/02/2022 23:27

We visited Margarites where they make pottery - can see it being made and also buy it. Really interesting and the interior has a different feel to the coast, more traditional.

Also enjoyed Melidoni Cave.

Please
or

CrimbleCrumble1 · 12/02/2022 15:41

What area are you visiting, Crete is massive.

Please
or

CJay81 · 12/02/2022 16:27

Bali is Near Rethymnon which is lovely, pretty old town and harbour and a good beach.

Please
or

sukikittening · 12/02/2022 18:05

Melidoni cave then Margarites then Panamo is a good day trip.

I think Plakias on the south coast is lovely. Huge beach and lots of restaurants and nice shops.

Bit further afield but also on the south coast - Loutro. It's land locked so need to drive to Chora Sfakion (aka Sfakia) and get the ferry/water taxi for a fifteen minute sail. With the number of people in your group it will probably be cheaper to get a water taxi than the ferry. Best swimming on the island in my opinion (although possibly a bit chilly in April!).

Rethymno old town is lovely. A couple of years ago there was a great restaurant called Le petit fleur on the harbour front.

Restaurant called Romeo and Juliet in a village just inland of Rethymno (can't remember the name of the village) is great, fantastic food. Was there just a couple of weeks ago, best panko prawns I have ever had.

Small tourist town of Georgiopolis west of Rethymno is nice. Traditional seaside town with just the right edge of touristy.

Beware the sea between Rethymno and georgiopolis though - some nasty rip tides. Usually a drowning every year unfortunately.

Lappa is supposed to be a must see. Aygroupolis has some interesting springs and traditional restaurants.

Second spinalonga but not sure the younger members of your group will get much out of it.

The cretans are very proud of Knossos but I preferred the archaeological museum.

The imbros gorge is an easy walk but again probably not fir the young ones.

Please
or

Ohhelpicantthinkofaname · 12/02/2022 21:07

Knossos and spinalonga are great days out. Knossos will probably be better in April than when we went on a blisteringly hot day in July.

Also the Venetian fort in Heraklion and the museum, which has all the findings from Knossos, make a good day out and will be fine even if you get a wet day.

There are a couple of good water parks, but not sure the weather will be hot enough on April.

Please
or