Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Find me a holiday please!

6 replies

Cutie101 · 30/01/2022 20:48

This is a real first world problem. I would like to go away with my family over the summer. We usually cruise or visit family in America. We don't have available our usual 3 weeks for a trip to the states due to lovely things such as weddings over the summer. I don't feel that a cruise is covid safe just yet. What kind of holiday would you recommend?
A bit of what we like:
I like the ease of a cruise.
My husband is vegetarian, and the rest of us aren't big meat eaters, so we like knowing we are well catered for on a cruise.
We enjoy the evening entertainment and the fact the kids are well entertained too (very happy for them to be with us whenever they want to be though, not looking not to see them the whole time!).
Cheesy entertainment is not my thing. I know some people love it but Butlins would be my idea of hell.
We enjoy walking and seeing new places, we enjoy playing or relaxing by the pool etc too, but not laying by a pool all day, it's just not us.
Our children will be 12 and 9. We want things for them to enjoy.
We have never been on a resort holiday before and are wondering if we would hate it, or if there is something that would suit us (especially with the food and things to do). By a resort holiday I mean a Jet2 or easyjet holiday type thing.
We aren't rolling in money, so not looking to spend crazy money, but we are comfortable.
I would love some ideas, or even personal recommendations if anyone thinks they know of somewhere that might be perfect for us this summer. We are hoping to go away for a week or two.
Thanks so much for reading this far.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 31/01/2022 17:19

Somewhere like Le Dune in Sardinia or Vila Vita Parc in Portugal.

Please
or

Ohhelpicantthinkofaname · 31/01/2022 17:40

I found Portugal to have quite limited options for vegetation meals when we visited a few years ago. AI hotels are probably different, il sure they have more choice, but eating out was a bit uninspiring for my vegetarian dd.

She found Corfu had a lot more choice of things she could eat. I think those are the only places we’ve been since she’s been a vegetarian, expect Disneyland, but high was ok for vegetarian choices, but not a amazing.

I can’t really offer any info on particular hotels as we usually do apartments or small hotels with not much in the way of entertainment and then do our own thing. On the whole though I like Greece more than anywhere else in Europe for a sunny holiday.

Please
or

Georgyporky · 31/01/2022 18:48

I think cruises are going to be as safe as hotels - especially as a lot of them are only taking fully-jabbed people.

How about a European river cruise ? Very different to a sea cruise.

Variety of routes to choose from, lots to see & do. Off of the boat every day to see a different place.
Entertainment is limited, but usually related to the locale. Food is generally good, & the trips I've done have always had options.

Please
or

Bells3032 · 31/01/2022 18:56

Agree cruises are likely to be safer than flying as people will need to be tested and jabbed.

Have you considered stuff like club med? Will be good for the kids and had entertainment etc

Please
or

Cutie101 · 31/01/2022 19:06

So cruises if only taking vaccinated people are out as youngest can't yet be vaccinated due to age, if they start to take unvaccinated children it's a slippery slope and other unvaccinated people will start being taken. The issue is vaccinations don't stop transmission or catching it, a week or 10 days in a cabin isn't doing it for me. Perhaps this year we shouldn't holiday either still. I just don't know anymore.

OP posts:
Please
or

Roo45 · 31/01/2022 20:57

Maybe an all inclusive somewhere like Costa dorada in Spain? Was looking into going pre covid- I assume the hotels would have vegetarian options and should have activities for kids and evening entertainment (worth just double checking but all the all inclusives I have stayed at in the past have had this!) and there is a very large theme park nearby as well as beaches and option of day trips to Barcelona and other towns/cities.
I went on an all inclusive to Mexico near Tulum a few years back and really enjoyed, loads to see and do but if you just want to sit by the pool you can do that too, hotel organises daily excursions so it's really easy to book and they take you directly there and back. Loads of veggie options. I got a deal at the time so not sure of cost assume Spain is cheaper. x

Please
or