Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Clearwater, Florida 8 nights / jetlag

11 replies

Catrinka · 30/01/2022 09:31

Hi everyone
Iv booked a holiday to clearwater for 8 nights in May.
Reading up I'm now worried it wont be long enough especially with the jet lag ?
We arent looking to do the parks. Just beach days, boat trips and aquarium etc. Won't be hiring a car- but if we did want a day trip somewhere are taxis reliable and fairly priced ?!
And also any tips for jet lag for 5 year old.
Flying into tampa, when we land will be almost 10pm uk time, but 5pm florida time I'm thinking if we can just try and keep her and us awake until 8ish?
First trip to America and first long haul with a child so any advice welcome x thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

IDontHaveThePelvisForAFuton · 30/01/2022 10:07

8 days is fine if you're not doing the parks. Jet lag hits you the other way, when you get home so try to have at least a day free to acclimatise on your return, although you can feel a bit groggy for a few days. We try to nap on the plane on the way and stay up as late as possible on the day we arrive. It's honestly not too bad, once that glorious sun hits you you get a second wind! We probably go to bed about 8/9pm US time so usually end up awake at 4am but try to stay in bed and rest and don't eat breakfast until at least 6am. So the 2nd day feels quite long but plan an easy day with another early-ish night and you'll be fine.

We try to visit clearwater every time we go to Orlando. The beach is out of this world. You're probably better without a car as parking is difficult and traffic can be awful. It will be very hot in May. Take plenty of sunscreen from home as we found it more expensive in the US.

I think Lyft is slightly more popular than Uber in Florida. There are usually discount codes for your first ride. The water taxi is fairly cheap and lots of fun!

Please
or

Catrinka · 30/01/2022 10:29

Thanks so much so so helpful.
Oh we get home just before the jubilee Bank Holidays so planned that well!
Really looking forward to it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 30/01/2022 17:11

As above we had a great time the jet lag got us coming home.

Please
or

AyeEee123 · 30/01/2022 17:13

My four(age 14-4) didn’t get jet lag when we went to the US. I kept them awake until 10.30pm - quite easy as it was so bright and sunny - and they slept until 7.30am and then were fine. Coming home was tougher.
Clearwater is beautiful, have a fab time!

Please
or

EmmaStone · 30/01/2022 17:35

Oh I'm so jealous - pre Covid we would go to Florida most years, and stay on the Gulf Coast for some of the time. Haven't been since 2019, and not looking as though this or next year will happen either.

I'd definitely consider a car - it's super easy to get around by car, and gives you an extra bit of freedom. Means you can get shopping as well (we always take an empty suitcase with us...).

Jet lag going will work in your favour - the first couple of mornings you'll wake early and can make for an amazing start to the day (I have lovely memories of waking up to sunrises on first days of holidays, and being so excited). But yes, the way home is a bit crappier, and you need to be quite strict with yourself not to succumb to afternoon naps when you get home - the best way to deal with jet lag is to immerse yourself in the time zone as much as possible. On the way home, I usually go by the 'a day per hour's difference' recovery, so as Florida is 5 hours behind, I'm usually feeling completely back to normal by the fifth day. But you do have to be pretty strict with yourself. In some ways it's easier to throw yourself back into a normal routine as soon as possible.

Are you flying directly to Tampa? You will need to clear immigration if so, but Tampa's quite a nice airport, so a bit easier to get through than Miami or Orlando, which can take a very long time through immigration. If you're landing at 5pm, by the time you're through and at your hotel, you'll probably be about ready for a quick bite and bedtime TBH.

Please
or

Catrinka · 30/01/2022 17:43

Thanks all.
Yes direct to Tampa from Gatwick. I feel like we got such a good deal on the flights (daughters gonna have a "tummy bug" 2 days before the may half term starts lol' saved hundreds on flights by going on 23 May)
To be fair little one was up til gone midnight all over Christmas so I'm sure she will be fine !

OP posts:
Please
or

IDontHaveThePelvisForAFuton · 31/01/2022 12:30

Just checking you've done your ESTA's op. I'm sure you're on top of it but it's something I've forgotten until the last minute before so I always mention it to friends going to the US!

Please
or

RandomQuest · 31/01/2022 12:43

Flying into tampa, when we land will be almost 10pm uk time, but 5pm florida time I'm thinking if we can just try and keep her and us awake until 8ish?
I’d keep her awake on the plane and put her to bed as soon as you arrive at your accommodation. It probably won’t even be that early since it can take a long time to get through US airports. First day she make wake early but she will be on the right time zone having slept overnight. Day 2 you can do a slightly later bedtime and voila you’re adjusted. I’ve done a lot of transatlantic flights with my eldest and we never once had an issue on the U.K.->US leg. It’s the other way that can be brutal with the night flight but just try to get as much sleep as poss on the plane and resist the urge to nap.

Please
or

tanstaafl · 31/01/2022 12:56

Just being nosy OP.
Are you on a package?
How are you getting from Tampa airport to Clearwater?

Please
or

Catrinka · 31/01/2022 13:21

Hi, I booked flight and hotel with British Airways.
Will get taxi from airport. Iv seen the hotel also mentions a shuttle so will see how much that is. Think the journey is 35/40 mins traffic depending.

OP posts:
Please
or

Catrinka · 31/01/2022 13:21

Yes going to do that ASAP thank you Smile

OP posts:
Please
or