Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

thessaloniki/girne as a solo female traveller?

4 replies

Roo45 · 28/01/2022 22:18

sorry maybe not quite 'travel' but wasn't sure where best to ask!
Basically I am looking at some fertility treatment abroad, I have a few countries in mind but 2 are countries I have never been to! One is in Thessaloniki in Greece and the other Girne in North Cyprus.
I would be staying there for about 2 and a half weeks, my partner would be there some of the time but not the whole time.
I wondered if anyone had been there how they found staying there, is it easy to get around without a car, did you feel safe, can you get by without knowing the language ( I would try to learn a bit before I go but would hardly be fluent!) and also if they enjoyed staying there, I would try and explore the city a bit if I could on the days I don't need to go into the clinic but would try not to do anything too strenuous!
thanks in advance x

OP posts:
Please
or

Roo45 · 30/01/2022 10:08

ANYone any experiences of these cities?x

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsnec · 30/01/2022 10:15

I have been to both but not as a female solo traveller. Based on your circumstances I think it's quite a difficult call to make.

Girne has better weather and cheaper luxury hotels. It's spread out it's not as civilised. Public transport isn't great and English isn't as widely spoken.

Thessaloniki is beautiful, it's more accessible, you'll see more familiar shops etc, English is more widely spoken and Public transport is better but the climate isn't as good and you'd pay more for decent accommodation.

Please
or

Rua13 · 30/01/2022 10:33

Girne is a small town in Northern (Turkish) Cyprus so you would have to fly via Turkey to get to the nearest airport Ercan.Turkish Lira is used so it would be far cheaper than Thessaloniki.English is widely spoken and the town is small enough that you won't need a car.We had a car when we were there but we were there as tourists and were sightseeing.

Please
or

Roo45 · 30/01/2022 13:06

Thank you, sorry the anyone one caplocks was by mistake and only just seen it! Didn't mean write it like that!xx

OP posts:
Please
or