Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

All inclusive holidays - toddler dinner times

10 replies

walkwalk · 28/01/2022 14:35

Looking to book our first all inclusive holiday in Europe (we would usually do self catering), with our 3yo but am a bit confused how people manage dinner times as the AI restaurants/buffets seem to open at 7/7.30pm. Our LO usually eats around 5pm, 6 at the latest, and would be pretty tired by 7 - I've got nothing against her staying up late as we're on holidays but I'm envisioning massive overtired tantrums and nonsense at the dinner table ruining our 'relaxing' break. Don't want her to nap during day as she would never go to sleep at night...

People seem to rave about AI hols being easy with little ones but how do they get around this??

TIA! :)

OP posts:
Please
or

Fletchersromancing · 28/01/2022 14:41

There is normally a snack bar during the day, could your child have a snack around 4 and a nap then be awake later to eat?

Please
or

LakeShoreD · 28/01/2022 14:43

6pm in the U.K. is 7pm in Europe so if you think she could manage 6pm then you’re fine, don’t even need to change your routine!

Please
or

Justkeeppedaling · 28/01/2022 15:06

I think you're being a bit PFB, sorry OP. Holidays are not for routines, they are for relaxing and doing whatever, whenever.
Your toddler will sleep well anyway, with all the excitement and activities you'll probably be doing. If an afternoon nap creeps in and you have a later bedtime, you can get up later, or you might find a morning nap helps.
Just go with the flow and enjoy the holiday.

Please
or

itwasntaparty · 28/01/2022 15:08

They usually open around 6, and there is mostly a snack bar all day. Get him a snack / dinner whatever you want to call it and depending on child they'll get a second wind while you eat or if you're lucky you'll have one of those that will sleep in the buggy.

Please
or

YellowLemonz · 28/01/2022 15:12

There's normally a snack bar.
If not, you'll most likely be in the room getting ready at 5/6 so go to the shops and buy some snacks to see through till it opens.

Also I would be relaxed with naps on holiday, the heat knocks them out and I find it's best to let them nap esp during peak of dinner time sun.
You'll be surprised how well she'll still sleep on a night time if your allowing her up later anyway.

Please
or

MaizeAmaze · 28/01/2022 15:12

It also doesn't work if you have a child that wakes early, and needs feeding ASAP, whatever time they went to bed.
So, I guess those that rave about them have toddlers who will adapt to a new schedule fairly easily, and those who have toddlers who wake at 5.30 whatever, or fall asleep at 7pm whatever, go somewhere the food timing can be adjusted to suit.

Please
or

TakeMeToYourLiar · 28/01/2022 15:50

We go to AI hotels that have kids food
Times, or room service is included

Please
or

Emily29 · 28/01/2022 15:54

We ordered our son room service for around 5pm, then would get him to sleep in the pushchair before we went out for out for dinner. This worked well most nights for us :)

Please
or

CrimbleCrumble1 · 28/01/2022 15:54

The time difference will work in your favour, I think 6.30/7 will be fine.

Please
or

UntilYourNextHairBrainedScheme · 28/01/2022 16:09

All inclusive doesn't suit everyone and that goes for adults and children.
You're not being "precious" and even if you were that's perfectly alright when choosing a holiday of all things! You don't have to make do with what won't suit you when its something with the sole purpose of relaxing and enjoying yourself!

If you have a fairly adaptable child then give them a snack and hope they'll either nap before dinner and eat again from the buffet or nap in the buggy during dinner.

If you have a child who doesn't nap in the buggy no matter what (or at 3 can't happily be persuaded to use a buggy at all) and you know doesn't do well staying up late etc. then choose a self catering holiday or a hotel which includes breakfast in a location with plenty of other restaurants and cafes - more flexibility.

Children have different temperaments obviously and the solutions aren't one size fits all any more than for their parents. A holiday that suits all the adults and children will be more relaxing for the adults than a constant attempt not to be precious.

Please
or