Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Uk or canaries?

19 replies

Calmasa · 28/01/2022 09:36

Im so tempted to book a holiday to the canaries for the summer but just have in the back of my mind how quickly things can change with covid. Plus looks like there are currently a few restrictions there. Are prices so cheap at the moment for a reason?! If I could guarantee the weather I’d happily stay in the uk. I’m probably seriously overthinking (another issue altogether 😩)this but am totally stuck of what to do.

OP posts:
Please
or

2catsand2kids · 28/01/2022 09:48

For me personally I’d do the canaries every time. I’ve had too many wet, cold and expensive holidays in the uk. We went to Lanzarote in December and had a fabulous time.

Please
or

Campervan69 · 28/01/2022 22:48

We bottled it in the summer. Had a wet and windy summer holiday in Anglesey. Never again. I've never been so fed up. We're actually off to the Canaries February half term. Cannot wait.

Please
or

rookiemere · 29/01/2022 13:50

If you book with Jet2 or Easyjet they both seem to have really good cancellation policies if the country is in lockdown, but fingers crossed I hope we're easing back to some holiday normalcy so I'd go,abroad if you can.

Please
or

TheWeeDonkey · 29/01/2022 13:55

What I'd do right now for some blazing sunshine. Canaries every day for me.

Please
or

Sportslady44 · 29/01/2022 14:18

deffo Canaries have just booked.

Please
or

Iamthedom · 29/01/2022 15:02

I’m off to the canaries in a few weeks
Went in October as well
I think anyone over 12 has to have the booster for entry
And check your passport to make sure you have enough time on it
Anything less than a year left you might fall into the Brexit fuck up with passport expiry dates

Please
or

Sunsetsupernova · 29/01/2022 15:06

Canaries 100%

We did a series of cold and wet UK holidays last year which ended up costing a fortune for not really the holiday experience we craved so we vowed never again unless it’s somewhere super luxurious for only a few days.

Please
or

BaggaTDoubleTroubleDoubleG · 29/01/2022 15:09

We’ve just booked the canaries for next week. Lanzarote as the level of restriction is lower than Tenerife. We’re desperate to get away to somewhere warm and have all just had Covid so hopefully won’t get it again straight away!

Please
or

gogohm · 29/01/2022 15:13

Why not simply wait? Too far in the distance to really know. If you do plump for oversea protect yourself by booking a reliable package rather than independently eg TUI (not on the beach, know people who had problems) and take out insurance as soon as you book

Please
or

bert3400 · 29/01/2022 16:38

@Calmasa
How long should people wait though?? ...after 2 years, should we wait another year to go away or will people like you be telling us to wait a bit longer....maybe I'll wait another 4/5/6 years ...oh look I'm fucking dead Hmm

Please
or

bert3400 · 29/01/2022 16:39

That was for @gogohm

Please
or

Sunsetsupernova · 29/01/2022 16:42

I’d book now before the prices go up. Most of the big name companies have great Covid protection now anyway. We’ve moved countless holidays over the past couple of years and not had any problems at all.

Please
or

duvetdayforeveryone · 29/01/2022 16:43

For our family: UK holiday. My DC are 9yo and 10yo and not vaccinated so I doubt any other country will let them in.

Please
or

Twiglets1 · 29/01/2022 17:00

Canaries definitely

Please
or

Tal45 · 29/01/2022 17:07

Short breaks in the UK can be lovely if you can book them close to and so guarantee the weather. For a holiday of a week or more that has to be booked in advance it has to be abroad every time. We went to Lanza in Oct and really enjoyed it, Tui Flamingo beach was very cheap.

Please
or

SilverontheTree · 29/01/2022 17:10

Canaries.
We went in October and booked again for Easter. Have Majorca booked for summer.
UK holidays are rubbish- we tried that!

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 29/01/2022 17:11

Canaries all day long. Book a package holiday with a good firm, Tui or jet2 someone like that, then you’re covered if things change.

Please
or

LubaLuca · 29/01/2022 17:12

Canaries, without a doubt! I'm dreaming of getting to the airport this year. UK holidays totally lack excitement for me.

Please
or

Campervan69 · 29/01/2022 20:50

@duvetdayforeveryone

For our family: UK holiday. My DC are 9yo and 10yo and not vaccinated so I doubt any other country will let them in.

There are no European countries not letting in anyone under 12 who is unvaccinated. They can go anywhere. It's the 12-15 age group who are affected.
Please
or